“So accomodating!”

Ranked #12 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Orange County, CA
“So accomodating!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2008

Wow! We were blown away at the amazing service provided by the staff of The Howard in Edinburgh. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, the complementary breakfast tasty, but the staff went above and beyond our expectations. Francisco, the extremely knowledgeable concierge, offered us tea and shortbread cookies upon arrival and gave us a 20 minute overview of the city, sights, and restaurants. All of his recommendations were spot on. What really blew our minds was this: we asked him to recommend a restaurant for a special dinner in honor of my brother and sister-in-law's anniversary. Not only did he recommend an awesome restaurant and handle the reservation, but the day of their actual anniversary he bought them a card and slipped it under the door of their room that morning. Amazing.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank uofabecca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
North Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2008

We stayed 2 nights at The Howard as part of our honeymoon. We hoped that the hotel would be as wonderful as when we last stayed about 5 years ago, and we were not disappointed. The rooms are luxurious; the staff extremely friendly and helpful; the food in the restaurant is first-class. The Howard gets it right! An amazing experience of luxury and relaxation. The location is also ideal; only one small point is that it is a fairly steep walk up into Princes Street, which could prove difficult for less able visitors. We would also recommend Abstract restaurant, which is fairly close to the hotel and serves an amazing lunch. There are also some wonderful art shops lining the walk up from the hotel to Princes Street. We will definitely return!

• Liked — everything
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2008

We started the first 2 nights of our week long stay in Scotland at The Howard - and what a wonderful way to begin. The location is perfect, in a quiet block, but a close enough walk (10 minutes) to the amazing Edinburgh castle, shopping on Prince St. and the Royal Mile.
The shared lounge where we were greeted, could use some paint and plaster as there is a rather large crack on the ceiling, however our room was lovely, clean and relatively well maintained. The bathroom was huge, and a large and romantic claw-foot tub took center stage.
Having our own butler was a unique touch, but we really didn't utilize his services of unpacking for us or drawing a bath - we'd rather do those things for ourselves.
The included breakfast was served in a beautiful small dining room, with plenty of choices from their menu, and was delicious.
The staff was always warm and friendly and had a genuine desire to make sure our every need was met. However, other then 2 wonderful dinner recommendations (both within walking distance; "Urban Angel" and "A Room in the Town"- had wonderful fresh takes on Scottish fare) our other requests went unfulfilled.
Though they advertised in-room internet access, after a few attempts and the staff doing some routine troubleshooting, we were never able to connect. Not critical, and they did offer us access to their computer if needed.
Upon arriving we noticed our room was rather chilly, and after a few attempts to get the furnace working, they brought a portable heater. It heated the room fine, but when we went to move it during the night, one of the legs completely fell off and the other buckled. Obviously this was rather disconcerting as it could have caused injury or a fire.
Lastly, as we readied our departure from The Howard, we inquired if we needed a reservation for the ferry to Skye (our next stop) The person we asked didn't know, but said she would find out before we checked out. Fifteen minutes later, upon checking out, she said none of the other staff knew for sure, but they didn't think one was needed. This seemed like something that could have been checked online. Luckily we discovered after a 5 hour drive to Mallaig, traveling off season, one was not needed.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay and if we returned to Edinburgh, we would certainly consider The Howard.

• Liked — Location, friendly staff and beautiful rooms
  • Disliked — We had a few minor problems, but the staff's eagerness to please, allowed us to overlook them.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2008

My wife and I recently stayed in the Abercrombie suite at this delightful hotel. The room is huge and includes a four poster canopied bed and a spacious sitting area. Its well lit and well appointed.

The staff are very helpful and friendly and the restaurant was also good. My wife unfortunately was ill on the evening we dined there and had to retire and the staff very kindly served my meal in our room with the same attentiveness I would have enjoyed in the dining room.

The location is quite good and just a short walk to the centre of the city which in Edinburgh is important because travel by car is a challenging experience, and parking a frustrating one.

• Liked — spacious, well appointed room, great bathroom and helpful staff
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2008

I stayed for just one night...but it was NICE. For 100 pounds, I got a single room including a full cooked breakfast. I arrived really early, but they were able to get me in my room within 20 minutes (they provided tea and brownies while I waited). More attention than I'm used to getting at hotels. The porter took my bags and the butler showed me the room and its features. My room was elegant and the bathroom was really wonderful (giant dinner-plate size shower head and really good toiletries along with slippers and a robe).

The room faced the front street and it was noisy (the street is cobble stone, so that made car noise even worse, but it did quiet down by bedtime).

I checked out and left my luggage while I explored. When I returned, my friends let me know they were arriving late, so the hotel provided me with another pot of tea and cookies while I waited in the "drawing room" for them to arrive.

I recommend staying here (when I got in the taxi at the train station, the driver responded "aren't you posh?" when I gave him the name of the hotel. It was nice to be pampered just a bit after a budget stay in London the week previous.

• Liked — Really attentive service
  • Disliked — No deadbolt on the door. Cleaning staff out in hall started early and were noisy.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank slc_singer
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2008

I stayed in the Abercrombie suite with my wife for one night because we were attending a concert in the city.This is a very good,friendly hotel.Idon't agree with a previous reviewer's opinion that the hotel is pretentious. The hotel is smart and well appointed. The staff are well presented,friendly and informative.Everything we asked for in terms of service was delivered.The room was also smart and well-appointed although I have to say the bed was short (and I am of medium height). Yes,the hotel is expensive, but I didn't pass any other accommodation at which I would have preferred to stay. Unfortunately,I wasn't impressed with the city.It's a little too grey and reserved for my liking.If I had come to visit the city itself rather than to attend a concert I would have been disappointed.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — the bed was too short
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Kendal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2008

Genuinely disappointing experience. for the same price you could have a master suite in a 4 star and that hotel wouldn't be too pretentious.

Stayed May 2008