“A hidden gem”

Ranked #12 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Falkirk, Scotland
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed 29 March 2010

This was a lovely little hotel very close to the centre of Edinburgh. We had been given a gift voucher for dinner and decided to stay overnight so that we could relax and enjoy the experience. We had a lovely evening. The food was superb and the service was second to none. It was unusual not to have a minibar or coffee making facilities in the room but there was a team of butlers on hand to cater for all our needs. The decor and furnishings are just what you would expect to find in a georgian townhouse - it was like being in a grand house rather than a hotel, very comfortable and cosy. We would definitely stay there again and have already recommended it to friends and family.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mrsgetaway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2010

Each year for the past nine years I have tried to find a good hotel to celebrate my husband’s birthday in March. As it is out of season you can normally get a good deal and I have booked some gorgeous hotels, like the Grand in Stockholm, and even the Waldorf in New York as part of a longer holiday for a special birthday. With the weak pound and all the extra air taxes, this year I looked closer to home and decided on Edinburgh. Unfortunately it coincided with a big rugby match so the choice was more limited and prices were higher than expected but the Howard was highly recommended on Trip Advisor so I thought I would give it a go.

The Howard did not let me down and I can see why so many people have recommended it. From check in where you are asked to sit down in the lounge with a pot of tea whilst your cases are taken to your room, to the 24 hour service should you need a snack in the middle of the night to the lovely rooms, you know you are in the right place.

Our room was on the second floor next to a lift, so I was originally worried that it would be noisy, we never had a problem as the rooms are very solid and the bed was so comfortable. There was a walk in wardrobe, a very large bathroom with roll top bath, comfortable chairs to sit and read and a lovely view from the window.

There was no tea making facility in the room, but you only had to ring down and fresh tea or coffee was delivered. Bottled water was provided each day and should you wish for it, the butlers would iron your clothes if they were creased after being packed. I was taken ill whilst there (a bad head cold) and returned to the hotel on the Saturday feeling very sorry for myself as my husband went to meet friends. I was immediately offered tea, lemsip etc. and went to my room where it was delivered. Later on I had a call from reception wanting to check that I was okay and offered more refreshments. I cannot see this happening anywhere else; you really felt they cared for your comfort and well being.

The breakfast was served to you freshly each day and was varied and extremely well cooked. We had a snack one evening when I did not feel well enough to go out and did not relish a full meal and it was excellent. You felt that the butlers were there whenever you needed them, but were not hovering or intrusive.

Would I recommend this hotel, most definitely, the only downside was the steep walk to the centre from the hotel, but after a large breakfast it was a way of getting the calories down, and the return was downhill all the way, better than the other way around.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mumsthewprdwoking
North Linolnshire
Reviewed 4 January 2010

It was back in May 2009 when my partner took me to stay at this hotel for 1 night and I had been intending to leave a review here since then but had never gotten around to it!

At the time of our visit I only lived 60 or so miles away from Edinburgh, in North Northumberland so it was a good place to go for a short notice getaway, even just for one night sometimes.
My partner booked The Howard having looked at some of the Townhouse group's other hotels online, Channings was originally to be our first choice but as I had already stayed there previously we settled on The Howard.

We arrived a couple of hours before check in time and were greeted warmly, our room was not ready as there had been a big rugby match on the day before and most hotels had been fully booked, however our Butler took care of parking our car and our bags and offered us a drink.
We decided to go for a walk around the City centre and returned after 3pm to check in.
Our room was large by city centre standards and decorated in cream and gold furnishings with a large canopy over the huge comfy bed.

The bathroom was again large by comparrison with other hotels , was spotelssly clean and had a separate shower and bath. The only fault we could find was with the shower head being low, I am 5ft 8 and my partner 6ft 1 we had to stoop down to get a proper shower as the shower head didnt adjust. Not a major problem for a 1 night stay though.

Service in the hotel was excellent, there are no Tea & Coffee making facilities in the rooms however your butler will deliver drinks to the room for you if you call reception to order them. Our Butler was fantastic, he suggested a restaurant for our evening meal and offered to book a table, his local knowledge was great and when the suggested restaurant turned out to be closed (he had thought this may be the case as this was on a Sunday of a bank hol weekend) he found us somewhere else.

Breakfast was delicious and clearly made using quality ingredients, it is nice that the hotel takes pride in using local produce and supporting local suppliers.

We wouldnt hesitate in staying at The Howard again, we now live in North Lincolnshire so it's not so convenient to get to but I have no doubt we will visit again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank moowliscious
Mapua, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 December 2009

We had a wonderful 3 night stay here. The hotel was easy to find, it had on site car parking. The staff went our of their way to make our stay perfect. Our room was fantastic, roomy and very comfortable. Every aspect of our stay here was faultless. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bevchris
Scotland
Reviewed 3 December 2009

Our stay at The Howard was a very disappointing experience. The hotel seemed shabby and run down (although there was supposed to have been a refurbishment a few years ago) and the service, though willing, was less than polished.
Our room was the noisiest I have ever experienced in a 5 star hotel. Sounds of plumbing and from other floors came through far too clearly.
The public rooms are far short of what we are used to at this standard and price point. On the positive, the bathroom in our room was great and room service breakfast was pretty good.
The owners should have a look at Glenapp in Ballantrae or Eriska outside Oban to see how this luxury standard should be done.
Overall this felt more like a 3 star guest house than a top class hotel.

3 Thank scottishtraveller42
Berkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2009

We have just spent an amazing weekend at The Howard and can't wait to go back. The bedroom was beautifully furnished and the roll top bath was a wonderful way to recover from all that retail therapy! The service was very unobtrusive and nothing was too much trouble. Check in was one of the most pleasant that I have experienced - so quick, you hardly noticed. I would definitely recommend The Howard as an antidote to large, anonymous hotels. It really does become a home from home very quickly and one that I can't wait to return to!

1 Thank wanderer035
Cheshire
Reviewed 7 November 2009

We've just returned from four nights at the Howard and thought that the hotel was nice and different to most other five star hotels. It's situated about 10 minutes walk, up a fairly steep hill from Princes street and has valet parking. The parking is free, which is unusual for Edinburgh.

Our arrival and check in was performed very well, the staff were expecting us and had shortbread and champagne waiting for us. We were offered offered hot drinks and our luggage was dispatched quickly and efficiently. Our room was spacious and bright , as was our bathroom and was generally well kept. There were a few minor niggles, like the tv remote being a little tempramental, a forgotten wake up call and bedding and mattress protectors that were just too small for the very large bed but frankly the good more than outweighed the bad.

When you needed a drink or something to eat the staff were there very quickly indeed, always polite and corteous. Coffee and tea was brought to your room whenever it was required and is complimentry, although a real treat was to have breakfast served in our bedroom from a very extensive (and well cooked ) menu. Again this was done very nicely by friendly staff and always at the time that you'd requested and was included within the room rate. We felt that overall the Howard offered good value for money as quite a lot was included in the nightly rate, which other hotels charge extra for.

The Howard deserves to do well.

2 Thank ytshome