The butler service is attentive and friendly, but never obsequious. The superior room was vast, as was the very well appointed bathroom. The arm chairs were a little worn, but overall the decoration was excellent. The public rooms were comfortable, the dining room is small. We ate there on both nights of our stay, and found the evening meal to be of very high quality, with well sourced ingredients and good presentation. The hotel really expects guests to dine out in one of the many local restaurants, and therefore the menu only changes infrequently, so a third night might have been a bit repetitive. Breakfast was generous and there was a good choice, although we found the full fried breakfast a little disappointing, with less than inspiring sausage and black pudding (maybe our English tastes), however there was an excellent kipper on offer and very tasty scrambled egg with smoked salmon among the alternatives.
Overall we would consider this one of the best hotels in which we have stayed, and plan to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Howard is a small and discreet hotel which occupies three Georgian houses. A classically elegant hotel both outside and in, it has just 18 luxury rooms and suites. Located by Waverley train station, situated just off Princes Street. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, TravelUp and Odigeo so you can book your The Howard reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Howard Hotel Edinburgh
- Howard Hotel Edinburgh
- Howard Edinburgh
- The Howard Edinburgh, Scotland