“Sooo relaxing in the heart of the capital”

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Stayed for 1 night during the Edinburgh Festival. The hotel rooms are just lovely, and the SPA is the ultimate chill out, loved the infinity pool on the roof!. Shops restaurants etc right on your door step. In my opinion one of the best hotels in Edinburgh!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lynne C
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2011

Dear Guest
Many thanks for taking the time after your recent trip to Edinburgh to share your comments on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and glad that you found time to relax at One Spa. Thank you once again for these comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Edinburgh and the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 19 August 2011

The Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa offers a first rate staff and amenities. Great central location, amazing gym facilities, and exceptional service! I stayed at the hotel off and on for an extended period, and the kind and courteous staff made the difference. Although the hotel is undergoing renovations, the staff has adapted and made navigating the renovations as pleasant as possible.

Everything that the hotel offers is top notch. From the guest rooms, club lounge, gym and spa, to dining options, I was always a satisfied customer. I can’t fathom the genesis for the negative reviews that I skimmed and I can only imagine a Castle Room wasn’t available.

I will most assuredly be a return guest and recommend the property to my colleagues, friends, and family. Given the niceties available in the rooms, I am quite sure when the renovations complete, the Sheraton Grand will be the premiere hotel in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Go for a castle room!
1  Thank Matthew M

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments with everyone which I have passed onto all my colleagues here who will take great pleasure in hearing them. I personally am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us very much look forward to welcoming you back when next in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 18 August 2011

The hotel is being refurbished. Rooms have been completed and fitted out with modern cheap fittings. The rooms are now a bathroom with a bed stuck in the corner of it. They have ruined what was lovely accomodation

My main issue was with Santini. Breakfast food would have been OK had it been hot. Bar service was a disaster, early evening they forgot our order and when we returned later on we were refused entry and very rudely advised that they were closing due to lack of customers, despite the fact that there were already about 6 people there and we were a party of 18. Santini is the only residents bar.

6  Thank 31San

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and sorry that you do not like our recently refurbished rooms. I am disappointed that you have left with a negative opinion of Santini and the Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa, however I have passed this information onto the Executive Chef and his team for review. This will allow them to review procedures and make any changes that may be applicable.

Thank you once again for your taking the time to share your comments and hope we can welcome you back when next in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 17 August 2011

Quite disappointing. The hotel is undergoing a major refurbishment and in all honestly should have closed its doors during the construction.

There is no lobby, instead it is just a trailer (yes a trailer albeit with nice carpets). To access your room you have to navigate a labyrinth of hallways and multiple lifts (3 separate lifts!). After an long day at the festivals I was annoyed to have to walk another 10-15 minutes in the hotel to get to my room. Yes, the rooms are very plush and well furnished and the beds are comfy, however, there were quite a few things that went awry that really are not acceptable for a place that charges over 350 pounds/night for a standard room.

For instance the phone in the room was busted, the sink facet was blocked, the maids would jam up the music when they clean adjacent rooms (annoying on a early Sunday morning). Even operating the lights requires a masters degree (I could make the bathroom appear blue or purple but couldn't get them to stay on). All in, really poor showing by a starwood property. Perhaps this will change when the construction ends, but for now avoid.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank dave S
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor although I was very sorry to read that that you did not enjoy your stay with us. As you are aware from staying in the hotel, we completed a multi million pound, full bedroom refurbishment last year and I trust you found our new rooms of a very high standard. During that time we remained open with minimal disruption to guests and in our continued enhancement of the hotel, we are currently refurbishing all public areas of the hotel and have put similar measures in place to ensure the guest experience is maintained. Even although the public areas in the hotel are closed, we have created a temporary Reception and guests are still able to access the bedroom floors due to the unique set up of our property via the One Spa building, which is also the location of Santini Restaurant where food and drinks are served throughout the day. We have also put in place dedicated hosts to look after our guests during this period and direct them to the bedroom floors. We do appreciate there is some noise from the refurbishment however we have made every effort to keep this to a minimum and only during the day. The majority of our guests have been unaffected and are happy with their stay experience. My sincere apologies that you were not aware of the full extent of our renovation works as we have done our best to communicate this information. With regards to the other points you made, I have raised these with the department heads.

Reviewed 16 August 2011

What a wonderful stay we had! We had a beautiful club room with breathtaking views of the castle. The room itself was large and spotless. The shower was very relaxing, and I loved that the shower head was easily adjustable. Converters were built in near the desk in the room. The tea set with yummy biscuits was a nice touch. We slept great each night in the comfy bed and there was not a sound from surrounding rooms or hallways.
Even though the property is under renovation, staff is around to led you in the right direction. The staff we encountered were friendly and helpful.
The club lounge was very nice. They served a great breakfast presentation and delicious snacks in the evening and had a good variety of drinks available. Katie in the club lounge was a gem.
We spent some time in the pool and it was very nice and big.
The only con was the hairdryer that was attached to the desk in the room. Not so great when my travel companion was sleeping in.
I really loved my time here and would be thrilled to return.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Chellebell
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Currently still at the hotel. We came in from Paris(driving from london) and wow are we happy we came here. Though the hotel is under construction it is incredibly quiet and you barely even notice. Rooms are very nice and very clean. View overlooking the castle is well worth it. The facilities are amongst the best I have ever seen and the gym here is the best I have ever seen at a hotel. Rebecca helped us check in and has been very helpful throughout our stay. She deserves a raise. Would definitely say here anytime we come back to edinburgh.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Justin K
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Very often when you arrive at a hotel that is undergoing refurbishments you can't help but feel disappointed... At the Sheraton however this feeling very quickly disapears as the staff go out of their way to make your feel welcome. Every effort is made to insure that your stay is as amazing as possible (despite the fact that they can't control the weather).

The hotel is perfectly situated to get quick access to the fringe festival while still being far away from the noise that you can retreat for a good night's sleep.

Life rearly goes acording to plan but at the Sheraton the staff make sure that despite the refurbishment, your stay is as wonderful as you would expect.

1  Thank Mvanderspuy