“Fabulous Revamp”

Ranked #15 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
San Francisco
“Fabulous Revamp”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

First time staying in the hotel since the revamp; it is looking good. I was staying overnight in Edinburgh for a wedding and wished I had more time to enjoy the property. The rooms are of a high standard and well appointed. I particularly liked the bathroom with its glass doors thereby giving it a fairly modern feel. I was fortunate enough to enjoy a view of the castle from my room. As a platinum member I have access to the Club Lounge, which was great for breakfast. Wished I had seen the bacon rolls otherwise I might not have chosen the healthy yoghurt! The gym is well appointed with foam rollers and mats. Staff were good. Overall a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank RunnerJac
, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us here at the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed your complimentary upgrade being a Platinum SPG memeber. I am also glad that you found time to use One Spa.
Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Edinburgh.
Safe travels
JP Kavanagh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
dundee scotland
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Just back from 3 nights in Edinburgh.lovely hotel,and fantastic staff. Room was modern and stylish.every member of staff ,had a smile,and a hello.great stay,can't wait to return.

1 Thank dufc
, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your review with us from your recent stay here at the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa. I am really pleased that you had a great time and equally delighted at your comments regarding my colleagues. I will take pleasure in sharing this review with them.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Kind regards.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Travelled in June 2012 as a couple for an anniversary.
First trip to Scotland was made unforgettable with a great stay at the Sheraton.
Was slightly worried about Legionnaires outbreak before we got there and the hotel were very helpful when I called them the night before, and explained about where the outbreak was and that it hadn't affected them
-Upon arrival the service was impeccable with reception taking care of everything we asked for. The room wasn't ready till 3pm which was fine as we went to climb up Arthur's seat.
-Room was lovely, all new and refurbished and spacious! The bathroom doors are slightly weird, as they are frosted glass so not really much privacy but the mood lighting is a nice touch.
-Club lounge is, as always, great. Lovely atmosphere in there, good beverages, great breakfasts and fabulous for cocktails and canapés in the evening.
-Breakfast in the restaurant is also good if you want more of a hot variety, and there is a lot of variety!
-Didn't make use of the spa unfortunately but will give it a go if we stay here again
-Overall service was great, very welcoming and brilliant weekend.

Tips on what to do - Arthur's Seat, Whiskey Tasting, Edinburgh Castle, Princes/George Street for shopping
Restaurants - The Castle Terrace, TigerLily, Iris

Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Rooms on the SPG floor. If Platinum get a 4pm checkout which is well worth it!
1 Thank Explorer_SH
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time after your stay with us recently to write this fantastic review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time in Edinburgh and like our recently refurbished hotel. I'm only sorry that you did not find time to spend at One Spa, which of course means that you must return!
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa in the near future.
Best regards.
Toronto
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Can't give enough praise to this wonderful hotel, recently refurbished. Service, ambience, room, spa, etc all first rate. We were upgraded on arrival and the room was exquisite with a view of the castle, lounge access ensured complimentary breakfast, snacks and computer access. The spa is beautiful, specially the indoor/outdoor hot-tub and access was complimentary as we were on the club food. A bonus was that the sun shone almost all of the time we were in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Upgrading to the Club Floor is really worthwhile
1 Thank Keepongoing
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed our Club Rooms and enjoyed the Club Lounge and Escape at One. Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Warm regards
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We have stayed a combined 15-20 days at this hotel over last 12 months and just love it. My wife throws everything she can at the concierge service and they are always so helpful and get us all set up. The breakfast buffet is great, the rooms are spacious and clean, the front desk employees are super, and the price is reasonable...what more could you want in a hotel?

If I had to find something to get critical...the spa was a little confusing (ask questions...I am too proud to) and my wife was not overly exited about her manicures and pedicures....I would recommend to try somewhere else. Other than that, we love it!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Rassy36
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa. I am delighted that overall you enjoy your time here, but disappointed with your comments about One Spa. I will certainly pass these on to the team there so we can continue to improve on our service.
Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, where a very warm welcome awaits you.
Kind regards.
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I was very pleasantly surprised with this newly remodeled Sheraton. The room and bathroom seemed very much like those at the Sofitel, Heathrow. I had a castle view room on the Club Floor. The room was spacious, the bed comfortable and the space for belongings more than adequate. Although the weather was dreadful my entire weekend stay, the hotel was very comfortable and accommodating.

I liked the location close to the castle. I would have walked more if the weather had cooperated. It is also close to Prince's and George Sts and to the beautiful St John's Church and St Cuthbert cemetery.

I must give accolades to Concierge Joel, who was so helpful and gave me recommendations...especially the one to go to House of Fraser for a "bubble" umbrella when mine was ruined my first hour there. That umbrella kept my head warm and dry. I had to leave it there, but I'm sure they can lend it to other guests. He also recommended Divino Wine Bar, where I spent a little time during some especially nasty rain. Joel also sent me to the Doric for the best Haggis. I went there and enjoyed both the Haggis and the atmosphere of this old pub and wine bistro.

As for the Club Floor, it was very nice, with the best lounge I have seen at other Sheratons and Starwoods in general. They had a very nice breakfast, although, for just an additional £3 I ate in the main restaurant my other 2 days as it offered more choices for me. I enjoyed the full Scottish breakfast buffet. I wasn't there for canapés later in the day.

The other attraction to the Club Floor is access to the entire OneSpa, which was fabulous. I had a massage and shellac manicure there as well as used the hydro pool and thermal suite. This was a real treat! Book late dinners to take advantage of this wonderful spa!

I plan to return to Edinburgh and will definitely stay here again. I love the modern design and amenities, and, of course either earning or using Starwood points. Taxis are always out in front of the Festival Square entrance. I just hope the sun shines next time!

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank CalEuroTraveller
Dear Guest
Thank you sincerely for the wonderful review you have written on your recent stay with us. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us in one of our Club Rooms and took advantage of One Spa and indulged in some treatments. I am only sorry that the weather could not have been more pleasant for you.
Once again, thank you so much and we look forward to welcoming you back when next in Edinburgh.
Warm regards.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel and we more than impressed. We are the type of travelers that like very nice hotels. This hotel surpassed out expectations to say the least. The room was clean and well appointed. They even had a USA electrical outlet. YEA! The staff greeted up at the door and took out luggage to our room. We were checked in quickly and we entered our room and just feel into the bed. It was awesome to say the least. The bath and shower were very nice and clean.

The only negative about the hotel was the spa. The spa facilities are old and the various steam rooms were smelly and really needed a good cleaning. My wife had a spa treatment that she would give a 2.5 out 5 stars. Just not what we were expecting. Not worth the extra 30 pounds to use the spa facilities. The main pool was nice though.

Overall, if you can afford to stay at this hotel, you will not be disappointed. Thanks to the staff that graciously mailed a postcard for us. :)

Room Tip: I can't imagine how any room would not be nice.
1 Thank jrking8211
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review after your recent stay with us. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay, but disappointed that you did not enjoy the facilities at One Spa. I have passed on your comments for action.
Thank you once again and hope to welcome you back when next in Edinburgh.
Best regards