“Sweet sleeper” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Dallas, Texas
“Sweet sleeper”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Sweet sleeper bed was indeed true to its name. We had the best sleeps after long days of walking around town. Centrally located, we were within walking distance to Edinburgh Castle and Royal Mile. We selected this hotel because it is an SPG hotel and the only SPG hotel in the city. The rooms and bathroom are clean and the lounge is comfortably stocked. The only thing i noticed is the lack of knowledge of the concierge. We caught the last 2 days of the festival and i ordered tickets online. Appraoched the front desk to ask where to pick up, thinking that this is a big city festival and they would be well informed, but unfortnately not. He directed us to walk about 2 miles but fortunately, when we crossed the street, i noticed that the building in front of me had a sign that said "box office".... Sure enough, i was able to pick up my tickets conveniently.

Second, we returned for a night within the week and it just happened to be my husbands birthday. I had reached out to the hotel the day before and asked them to confirm if my choice of restaurant was indeed good or if they would recommend something else. I was told that this query was communicated to the duty manager. I did not hear a peep from them.

Superficial downside is what seems to be a permanent installation of housekeeping carts along the hall way.

Having said all that, i would go back if not only for the fact that the bed is truly a sweet sleeper.

Room Tip: Castle view room higher up floors
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012 via mobile

I was taken to the spa as part of my birthday celebrations . My room was upgraded to a junior suite which was very comfortable with extra living space and a bottle of champagne - nice gesture. We visited the spa and I had a treatment from a wonderful therapist called Rebecca who was excellent and I felt very refreshed and relaxed afterwards . We had an early drink and delicious canapés in the Sheraton club lounge which was very crowded but staff were attentive and managed the extra numbers . Overall a very enjoyable experience

Stayed September 2012
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Dear Julia
Thank you for the superb five star review from your recent trip. I am delighted that you enjoyed your spa weekend, and enjoyed your treatments. I have passed on these comments to the team, especially Rebecca.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind regards.
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

In town for a golf trip, we stayed at the Sheraton for two nights. This is a fantastic hotel, with a great location but the rooms were very modern. If I was traveling with my wife it would have been fantastic but with my father as a roomate, the all room mood lighting and almost open air bathroom was a little weird.

Aside from the room (we had a view of the castle, platinum member) the hotel itself and the staff were wonderful. The bar is great and reasonably priced and it is within walking distance to most "downtown" attractions.

Only real downside we had was after a long day of golf we were told we could use the hot tub at the spa. After getting changed and walking to the adjoining spa (it is a health club / spa open to the public) we found two single bathtubs next to the pool with almost no jets and luke warm water.

All in all I can't wait to go back, with the wife this time, and I will definatly be staying here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Galveston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Our first night here we were very tired from the drive and chose to eat in the hotel's only restaurant, One Square. The menu is very disappointing and the food even more so. A grilled vegetable entre was listed for 12£50 and supposed to include chard and grilled vegetables with herbed oil. It was mostly large garlic cloves and green onion over a mayonaise sauce, not my heart healthy diet. When the waiter questioned why I had not eaten much of it, I explained and he said others had also not liked it and they were still working it out. Then he brought the bill where they charged 14£ . I guess you were supposed to pay extra if you didn 't like it! We also ordered rhubarb sorbet which turned out to be ice cream. Again, no attempt to exchange or apologize when we questioned the substitution. Will not be going back. Definitely not in keeping with overall hotel atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear oliviaGalveston_TX
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor of your recent stay with us. I am disappointed and very sorry to read that you did not have a good experience in our restaurant, One Square. I have passed your comments onto our Executive Chef who will be equally disappointed. I am also sorry that this was not picked up on at the time as we could have rectified this immediately.
Once again, please accept my apologies and hope that this does not deter you from returning to the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa in the near future.
Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

Over many years I have stayed at the Sheraton Grand. I returned in August 2012 to the Grand in Edinburgh now that the refurbishment is finished. What a transformation!! It was good to be back. The new lobby is open and welcoming and the staff seemed to have a new lease of life. As always a room at the top facing the Castle provides a super visual atmosphere. The new bathrooms are great and the design is innovative particularly the lighting. But one of the biggest differences was the restyled restaurant which now includes a bar. It is open, spacious and a great all day menu with a variety of dishes, including traditional Scottish dishes, that cannot fail to please. The serving staff were highly attentive but not intrusive even when the restaurant was busy. Well done, thanks.

Room Tip: Ask for a Club room facing Edinburgh Castle.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jeffrey N
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear Jeffrey N
Thank you for your superb five star review of your recent stay with us, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in our recently refurbished bedrooms and equally pleased at the comments you have made about our new restaurant and bar, One Square. I will take great pleasure in passing these comments to the team here and hope we can welcome you back when you are next in Edinburgh.
Best regards
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

This sounds daft, given the Sheraton name and the fact it is a five star hotel, but I was genuinely shocked at just how good a hotel the Sheraton Edinburgh is.

I've been lucky enough to stay in some great hotels in some great cities around the world but I'm not exaggerating when I say the Sheraton Edinburgh is up there with the best I've ever stayed in in a city. It genuinely wouldn't be out of place in Manhattan. In fact when I'm in Manhattan in three weeks time I'll be delighted if the service, room and facilities are as good as what I experienced last week.

Euan who looked after my booking was first class, as was Ignacio who looked after me when I checked-in. The castle-facing room obviously had a great view but was the perfect size (not too small as you so often get in boutique hotels and not too large like you so often get in other grand, five star hotels). The room and bathroom itself were a revelation. Without doubt the best in any hotel I've stayed in in Scotland.

So yes, you could say I enjoyed my stay in the Sheraton Edinburgh and it means there is no decision to be made next time I'm staying in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: You're in Edinburgh so a castle-facing room has to be done.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank John M
Dear John M
Thank you sincerely for the five star review on Trip Advisor. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and will certainly pass your kind words of encouragement onto the team, especially Euan.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Kind regards
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

My partner and I stayed at Sheraton Grand in Edinburgh this past May during a trip through the UK. Our 2 day stop in Edinburgh was absolutely amazing. As other reviewers have noted, the location is very central. Edinburgh is compact, so walking is easy anywhere in the city. We had a Castle View Room- the view of the castle was absolutely stunning and certainly is worth the upgrade. The entire hotel was sparkling, brand new after the extensive renovation. The entire facility looks and feels 5 star. The hotel staff were always courteous, friendly and personable. We did have an issue with one of our credit cards being blocked for security, which could have been a disaster- but it was a non-issue due to the understanding attitude and proactive help from the Front Desk! The room, as noted by many other reviewers, does have it's quirks, specifically with the lighting, but the end result is a high-tech feel that is unexpected in such a historic destination. The huge king bed, oversized tub, and comfortable seating all came in handy after hours of trekking up and down the winding streets of the city. The bar was very nice, friendly staff and reasonable prices. The food was not the greatest- I would skip on the food and head out to one of the more casual spots in the area. Didn't get to try out the spa on this trip, but I can see how it would be a great amenity to take advantage of- especially if you have been out hiking through the city or surrounding highlands. We will certainly be back! Edinburgh is such an amazing city and is definitely "bucket list" worthy!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul M
Dear Fllconcierge
Thank you for the fantastic five star review you have given your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and have taken great delight to share this with my colleagues.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back when next in Edinburgh.
Best regards