“Beautiful hotel poor breakfast”

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel poor breakfast”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This hotel has been beautifully refurbished and is situated very close to Princess Street. The only adverse comment I have to make is about the breakfast. For a hotel of this standing and charges - not cheap - to have to make your own toast and scramble about to get your breakfast is poor. The food was good but the service was not.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Dear mod68
Thank youfor your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay, however disappointed that you did not have a good experience at breakfast. I have passed your comments onto our Executive Chef and his team for review.

Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm regards
JP Kavanagh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Really enjoyed our two stays here -- at the beginning and end of our trip. It is in a very convenient location to explore all parts of the City. Our rooms were comfortable and quiet. Our only complaint was WiFi access was not included and was ridiculously expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for Castle view.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Wanted to experience the restaurant after the recent refurbishment and hoped for so much more. The menu is quite pricey and the truffled eggs benedict had no discernable truffle in them at all, there was not even the distinctive smell. As I was with friends I did not want to cause a fuss. The egg was also underdone which is a health issue.
Staff training needs to be done,nobody enjoys being talked down to.
Friend had the lime posset and the presentation of that was lovely, really unusual.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We stayed here on the weekend of 17/9 for 2 nights, we arrived at the hotel around 11.15pm, when the car dropped us off there was nobody to help with luggage, the check in was smooth enough, and the duty manager passed on all the information required. We booked a castle view room, and the room was modern, with a nice bathroom, the mood lighting, and bathroom lighting are a nice touch. The shower however lacked pressure, and the tv is over complicated.
On the second night we ate in the hotel restaurant, and I personally was disappointed. The service was good, but the choice of menu is limited, and differs fom the one in the room! Scotland is home to some of the best sea food, yet there was very few of these options available. My partner can recommend the cocktails though. I found the fact that the entrance to the hotel which runs right through the heart of the restaurant a very poor design, as when your dining there is constant foot fall walking past your table.
Checking out was simple enough, but this may be that we did not charge anything to the room.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
timperley
Reviewed 19 September 2012

My wife and I have stayed here five or six times when she comes up in on business and it never disappoints.Modern rooms with clean lines and the bathroom 'within' the bedroom add a difference not found elsewhere.The buffet breakfats is pricey but of a good standard and the late night bar very welcoming.
With attentive staff and central location,the Shearton is always our first choice when staying in Edinburgh

Room Tip: Castle view rooms have the best view but the noise from the square can be heard.Go for a high floor...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Dear lordofwaz

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us of your recent stay. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay and very much look forward to welcomng you and your wife back when you are next in Edinburgh.
Best regards.
Villa Park, California
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 6 days while I attended a conference at the conference center that is only a couple of blocks away. The Grand Sheraton is very convenient. The Castle and all the other tourist spots are within easy walking distance. The hotel fronts on Festival Square. We had a "Castle view" room. The castle view rooms also face on Festival square. While we were there the paraolympics was being shown on the giant screen tv in Festival Square. One night there was also a classical music concert in the square (associated with the end of the paraolympics). Initially, I wondered if facing festival square would result in noise problems. However--no problem at all. The windows are well sealed and noise resistant. Our room was on the Club floor. The service on the club floor was impeccable. Several times during the week we were in the room when the maid service came to clean the room, when asked to come back at a specific time they were very accommodating and returned exactly when asked. The Club lounge was staffed by very pleasant, outgoing staff who were very helpful. The hors d'oeuvres provided in the lounge in the evening were very good---not appropriate for a full dinner, but wonderful for an appetizer and drink before going out for dinner. The "continental" breakfast was also very good.

Room Tip: Our room was a Castle View room on the Club level. The view of the Castle was very nice. The servi...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear John H
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and made use of the Club Lounge. I will certainly share your comments with the team here, especially those in the Club Lounge, as your words will indeed serve as encouragement to them to maintain the high levels of service you enjoyed.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us.
Kind regards
Lundin Links, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Our room had, infront of what we took to be the dressing table, an office chair with 5 wheels sitting upon a hardwood (or maybe plastic) floor. When attempting to sit on the chair it shot accross the floor from under me. I fell on my back and hit my head on the wall. Apart from a large "egg" on my head I am OK but feel obliged to tell other elderly ladies like me to be aware of such a highly unsuitable bedroom chair

Room Tip: no swivel chair in bedroom
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank dorothyjaniepie
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Dear Guest

Thank for posting your review of your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear of your incident in the room with the chair, and I hope you have made a full recovery. I have noted this on your profile as we would be happy to provide a different chair if you return for a future visit. I hope it did not spoil your trip as I am aware it was a special occasion.

Thank you once again and I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Warm regards