“First rate accommodation and stay”

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #17 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My wife and I regularly visit Edinburgh and used to stay at another hotel in the high street which had become a bit tired and worn. It was time for a change - and boy were we impressed. The Sheraton has recently received an extensive upgrade and the hotel is fresh and welcoming.The hotel is located just off the west end of princes street and is easily accessible by car. Cars are parked in a safe multi-storey which adjoins the hotel. Reception staff were efficient and friendly.Our room was on an upper floor with a great view of festival square,the usher hall and Edinburgh Castle. The room was spotless and well appointed and had an unusual and quirky lighting system in the bathroom - you'll have to test that for yourself! Breakfast was excellent - well stocked,great selection of quality hot and cold foods. Unfortunately we did not have time to sample the Spa this time round but were kindly given a guided tour by one of the staff . In keeping with the hotel it looked to be first rate - we will sample this on our next visit.
The Sheraton is one of those places where nothing is a problem and your stay is paramount to the staff at all levels.
Can't wait to get back.

Room Tip: Ask for a castle view when booking
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shark3132
Write a ReviewReviews (2,943)

Reviewed 8 December 2013

This is a very nice hotel in a central location with very helpfull staff and cosy modern rooms. We opted for they green choice wich is a nice ideea but its nothing green about not checking if in room is toilet paper or toiletries..but was our choice so...personally i dont recomand that option!
The spa was great! free pool and fitness, very clean and nice atmosphere all over! I definitely go back to this hotel!
I dont give it 5 stars because i dont like the breakfast wich it was expensive and not varied, also i didnt liked the breakfast personal..One morning one of them had the nerve to say to me that I look tired...its not a very nice think to say to a woman!! I definitely dont recomand they breakfast! Next the hotel is a nice cafe with much cheaper and varied stuff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with castle view!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
SheratonEdinburgh, Executive Assistant Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed it. However I am very sorry to learn that you did not enjoy breakfast and had a negative encounter with one of the staff. I shall certainly investigate this further to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you once again for sharing this information, and we hope to welcome you back when you are next in Edinburgh.
Kind regards

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed in a hotel in Barcelona not too long ago, part of a large hotel chain, and one of the questions that stuck in my mind on the questionaire was ' do we make you feel special?' On that occassion I answered no; however the Sheraton definately makes you feel special.
We stayed for one night (Saturday 31st November) arriving in the early afternoon and managed to gain an early check in and then proceeded to the bar area to sample some of their fifty two (52) varieties of Gin! After a few hours wandering around Edinburgh we checked into the club lounge as we had this as an upgrade. I have to say the staff in this section are lovely and very hard working; it is extremely busy however they cope well and always with a smile. Ther snacks are very good and are replenished on a regular basis for you to help yourself, as are the drinks which are served at your table, The lounge at this time (5.30 till 7.30) is overly busy and you may struggle to have a seat however this shows how popular it is and we left there satisfied, and a possibly a bit tipsy!
After some hours spent in the city we ended our evening in the comfort of the hotel bar where once again the service was impecable even after a long day for the staff they still managed a smile.

We all missed breakfast I'm afraid so I can't comment on it although I have had the club breakfast in the past and it was good then and I would think the standard will still be the same. We opted for lunch instead and although it seemed a little pricey, I think it was worth it as, once again the service , the comfort of the lounge and the quality of the food all make for a pleasent afternoon which stretched itself into early evening as none of us really wanted to leave.

Sheraton management and staff once again you excelled... pat yourself on the back; you made US feel special!

We WILL be back.

special thanks to Carron and good luck in your new role

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely as I have had a tour of the hotel when we booked a conference a couple of years...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Davy M
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Guest
A huge thank you for this fantastic review of your stay with us last weekend. I am truly delighted at these comments and really pleased that you enjoyed your break with us. I have already shared your very kind words with the team here who are equally pleased.
Thak you once again and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us.
Tristan Nesbitt

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

The room is nice but when you pay £190/night thes days you expect wifi. Also you will get a much better breakfast @ all bar 1 which is just outside for half the cost. Nothing special for the price and we will not be back. Great city though to visit especially at Christmas time.

• Stayed: November 2013
SheratonEdinburgh, Executive Assistant Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations but hope you will reconsider returning when you are next in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

The husband and I stayed at the Sheraton Grand for two nights. The hotel is a short walk away from Edinburgh's main attractions, but we knew this.I had booked a castle view club room, which are all based on the 7th floor (top floor) of the hotel. Those rooms entitle you to access to a so called club lounge, which offers complimentary soft drinks, cheap red and white wine, coffee and "snacks" throughout the day. Their rate also includes use of the thermal suite in the pool area and continental breakfast. As one reviewer pointed out earlier, it is a bit of a stretch to call the short break biscuits which are offered throughout the day "snacks". Truth be spoken there are some canapes on offer around dinner time, but that's the point: When I am just about to head out for dinner, I am not inclined to add a snack to my dinner. Check in was as clinical as one would expect in such a conference type hotel. What we did not expect was that I had to go all the way back to the check in area on the first floor within five minutes. As it turned out the receptionist forgot to add the club room access to our key card. The room in itself felt somewhat claustrophobic. It comes equipped with a kingsize bed, a desk, and two armchairs that are squeezed next to the window; how anyone would ever contemplate to sit in those, is beyond my imagination. The bathroom is not really a room, but a cell. It consists of a tiny bathtub - maybe a five year old can sit in it, a sink and a loo, which has been squeezed into the last corner of the cell. For the money we were asked to shell out, I would have seriously expected more. The Balmoral had the same room rates, by the way. The pool and spa area of the hotel is probably one of the largest in Edinburgh, but is in need of some refurbishment; towels are at a premium, and are nowhere to be found. We booked in for a massage on our last morning; my massage therapist, though sweet enough, was late. I soon figured out that - contrary to my original perception - it does not make any difference whatsoever, whether it is me or the massage therapist who is late; the massage ends with the allocated time slot, and that's that. The last extra we paid for was the late check out - 15:45 instead of 12:00 noon. We agreed to the extra charge of £35.00 at around 09:00am. When we tried to get out of the spa area at around 1pm we found ourselves stuck, as the key cards no longer worked. After having battled my way back to the receptionist (one cannot get access to any of the hotel's floors without a valid key card), the only comment I managed to extract was a "That's unlucky". Needless to say, I was back within five minutes, as again, the access to the priced club lounge had not been keyed into the card. Check out procedure was without any problems, but i am certainly not rushing back there, and most certainly not at the price we paid. We are quite happy to pay a lot for weekends away and holidays, but would expect the facilities to match the price; and in this instance they clearly fall short.

Room Tip: Just would not
1  Thank FerkelSuzy
SheratonEdinburgh, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry to learn that there is no doubt that we did not live up to your expectations, or indeed to our own standards of operation, and you have certainly highlighted some shortcomings. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at murray.scott@sheraton.com to discuss this further. Once again please accept our sincere apologies and look forward to hearing from you.
Murray Scott
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Spent the weekend at this hotel in Edinburgh,payed for club room thinking I was getting a good deal.The cost of this I could have got a week in spain for 2.Club room is very small for the price,snack and drink are supposed to be included,that’s if you call a biscuit and coke of 7 up snacks and drink.We went to the restaurant on Sunday,2 people where in, we got a table at the far left hand side at the window, which was freezing .As for the club lounge I wasted my money upgrading , no snacks all day poor selection of juices and drinks.The amount of money I spent on the room this was very small,in fact I payed less money in London and got double the size room.sPA IS THE ONLY GOD THING AT THIS HOTEL

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
SheratonEdinburgh, Executive Assistant Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay with us. I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations and sorry that the Club package was not what you thought it was. We do serve an extensive continental breakfast daily in the Club Lounge and every evening from 5.30 to 7.30 we serve drinks and canapes . Throughout the day we offer tea, coffee and various soft drinks with cookies and some savoury snacks. I am sorry that this was not explained to you at the time of booking. On a positive note, I am pleased that you enjoyed your One Spa experience.
Thank you once again for this feedback, we genuinely appreciate it.
Kind regards

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Great hotel - clean and tidy with nice decor. Service was good and the staff all very attentive. Nice bar and restaurant area and the spa complex is a must with the relaxing steam rooms and the hydro pool. Breakfast in the room each morning was a touch of luxury - especially having haggis for breakfast - great selection to start day's sightseeing and shopping off right.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends