“Top notch”

Ranked #15 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Elmhurst, Illinois
“Top notch”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Great city, beautiful property. Clean, comfortable, great location. Staff was well trained, courteous, and very knowledgeable. Concierge was spot on. Highly recommend. Not too far from the airport, about 25 mintues, and right in the center of everything. Close to the castle and the Royal Mile.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Guests
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us and giving us a fantastic five star review. I am delighted that you enjoyed the experience and very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind regards
Tristan Nesbitt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Very modern rooms with led mood lighting and glass walled bathroom. We didn't book a castle view room so our room overlooked an office building which was very quiet. Heating and air conditioning worked well. There were very few issues with the hotel, as I would expect when paying a high price for a brand like Sheraton. The room wasn't very well insulated from noise in the corridor, which is disappointing for an expensive hotel that can afford to spend so much on interior fittings. Next time they should have some sound insulation put in. Although the led lighting looks nice when switched on, when trying to sleep the lights on all the control panels and sensors made the room too bright. I had to cover the LEDs to sleep. The location is good, just around the corner from Princes street but not too noisy. Although there are a lot of hotels to choose from in the city center. Overall, this hotel was only average for the price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Penguin5727
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and post your comments on trip advisor. I am sorry that overall we did not exceed your expectations and will share the points you have raised with the team here for action.
Thank you once again, it is very much appreciated and we do hope to welcome you back when you are next in Edinburgh.
Warm regards
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I was full of expectation but... I stayed in a club room at the 7th floor (even number). No view and noisy as the machinery next building runs the day long. I didn't like the bathroom either but bed was ok. The breakfast (buffet) is far from what we can expect in this kind of hotel, it is just miserable (they should have a look at what is going on at The "Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees" Stresa, Italy or at the the "Makati Shangri-La" Manila, Philippines for example). The people working there are doing their best and are very friendly but the problem is in the management and in the concept of this kind oh hotels. I didn't have a nice stay and for sure I will never return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Lamigas
SheratonEdinburgh, Executive Assistant Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments of your recent stay with us. I am genuinely sorry that we did not meet you expectations and you did not enjoy your time with us.
Thank you once again for your comments.
Warm regards
Andre Brose
Executive Assistant Manager
Leeds
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here almost 6 years ago on our wedding night. We stayed in the Douglas suite at the time and enjoyed the breakfast and amazing spa the next day....what better way to work of the busy excesses of a wedding day than a spell in the hydro pool!

We were pleasantly surprised by the refurbishment that has taken place since, absolutely no expense spared, it is a total transportation.

What hasn't changed though is the service, which was and still is impeccable. Genuine 5 star service is hard to come by and this place is a rare example of a 5 star hotel that is doing it right. Clearly there is significant attention to recruitment, training and retention of the best people and they really are great. Nothing is too much trouble.

There are a couple of things that I would suggest could make the experience more enjoyable:

1) we booked a club room but we really weren't sure why the room itself was deemed superior to a standard room....it was quite small with a cot bed in it and we were expecting something larger. The decor was great though so no complaints there!
2) there was an Asian girl on reception at check out. She was very friendly and bubbly but totally out of her depth in a 5 star hotel. When I called to collect my laundry an hour after it was due back, she told me that it had probably been transferred to lost and stolen and she would check "IF" they still had it and get back to me. Not the kind of response I was expecting, and would have panicked most. Thankfully I suspected that she was just a bit dizzy from out earlier conversation so I didn't panic!! I would take her off the front desk or the phones, a back office role would be more suitable.

Other than that, Sheraton is perfect as was the breakfast the next morning. We'll definitely be back.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank rosey69
Estero, FL
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We loved this hotel and are still confused as to why it was so reasonably priced!! Everything about it was spectacular including the rooms, castle view, restaurants and staff. We were here for the first three nights of our European travels and thoroughly it. The location was very good and a short walking distance to the HOHO buses and the Christmas Fair.

We had 2 castle view rooms and they were large, well equipped and modern. The bed was very comfortable. We didn't feel bad about the wifi fee because the hotel rates were very good and the internet was relatively fast and dependable. The bathrooms and the mood lighting was also a big hit.

We had dinner in the restaurant and it was reasonably priced and delicious. The calm and understated atmosphere was exactly what we needed after a crazy day of sightseeing.

All the staff that we came into contact with were wonderful including the registration and restaurant staff. There was a tense moment one morning when the restaurant hostess told me that she didn't have my favorite red coat that I had left the night before but she handled the situation like a pro.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with two windows
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank hopebh
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed over the new year period, stay was wonderful, and a great start to 2014...service from all staff was excellent, and they couldn't do enough for us...would recommend the restaurant, and the one-spa...will return again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank S B
Scotland
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This is a second Christmas visit to Sheraton Grand Hotel Edinburgh. A XMAS gift to my student daughter and her fiancé . They were not disappointed as neither were we. I decided to go Club room this year and the experience was more than met our expectations. On arrival we were upgraded to Castle view room and it just got better and better . Our guests made use of Spa and swimming pool facilities while my husband and I were quite happy to relax in the club room. The bedrooms were spotless and staff very pleasant and helpful.The club room staff were exceptional and made our stay perfect.Christmas lunch was just as perfect as everything else so much so that we have already booked a stay for next year .There was a discrepancy regarding the bill for Xmas dinner which was sorted out once we were home. I can fully recommend staying here as it is a wonderful experience all round. All the best for 2014

Room Tip: We had 707 and 709 first class rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple