“Best hotel pool we've seen in the UK!”

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Sydney, Australia
“Best hotel pool we've seen in the UK!”
Reviewed 17 August 2008

We stayed for one night on a quick trip to Edinburgh. The hotel entrance is a little hard to find, given the system of streets in central Edinburgh. The hotel itself is modern and large. We valet-parked, which seems to be the only option. Check in was slow. Our room was mostly nice, but unfortunately smelt of sweat from a previous guest, and had a view of a nearby roof. Room service was prompt and tasty - at usual Sheraton prices. The hotel's location (to the West of Edinburgh Castle) requires a good pair of walking shoes and fitness to take you up to the Royal Mile (or a taxi!). The really great part of the hotel is its excellent adjoining fitness centre. We like to think of ourselves as connoisseurs of hotel pools - and this one is a treasure! It is very large, airy and clean - and staffed by pleasant people. If you like having the option of a relaxing swim or spa, then this is a great place to stay in Edinburgh!

• Liked — Superb hotel pool
  • Disliked — Room smelt
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Leeds
Reviewed 13 August 2008

Stayed in this hotel as part of a conference and was very impressed from the outset. The location is great, on Lothian road and close to the financial district and also the city centre.

The staff were fabulous. Genuinely friendly and helpful. The hotel is lovely and definitely above the average 5 star standard. My room was large and comfortable. I went for some treatments in the spa and it was luxurious with professional staff; I would definitely recommend it.

The only disappointment I had was with Santini restaurant where I ate on my first night. The food was very tasty, however later that night I felt slightly ill and as a result did not sleep all night. I phoned the restaurant in the morning just to let them know and got quite a cold and dismissive response from the manager who said that it could not possibly have been from the food in the restaurant as all the food had been in fresh that morning. She did not seem overly concerned and did not say that she would speak to the chef and I felt that my complaint was not dealt with appropriately which was very unprofessional. Apart from this I was happy with my stay at the Sheraton.

• Liked — Location and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SheratonHotel, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 August 2008
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am pleased to hear that you left with such warm feelings for the hotel and our associates. It is always a delight to hear of fellow associates delivering excellent service to guests and your words will indeed serve as encouragement and motivation to maintain such excellence.

However, your experience on the telephone to our restaurant is contrary to our service culture and this will be addressed with all the staff in the restaurant to ensure that correct follow up is always implemented. Please accept my apologies for this and for any frustrations this might have caused you.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards

JP Kavanagh
wishaw
Reviewed 4 August 2008

Four of us stayed in rooms 424 and 428 on Saturday 2 August. The Hotel was excellent, the rooms being brilliant with the biggest and most comfortable bed i have slept in, that includes previous hotels in Europe and America. I dont understand some of the previous reviews, dont let them put you off! Staff were very friendly with a great 'can do attitude' to everything. We are already planning a return visit! 5 stars indeed!

• Liked — location + rooms + staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 28 July 2008

I've stayed at the Sheraton a bunch of times, usually for the 6 nations rugby, but most recently to show my girlfriend some of my beloved Scotland. I think the hotel has taken some unnecessary stick in other reviews.

The best bits:
The bar is so comfortable with a top range of wiskeys. I have nearly fallen asleep there on numerous occassions, and the staff are very attentive and friendly
The spa is brilliant - my missus absolutely loved it. A giant hot-tub is on the roof of the hotel - perfect on a cold day and reminds me of ski holidays!
The rooms are comfortable, large and clean. I can see why many reviewers would think the decor dated, but then the hotel doesn't profess to be a modern-looking hotel.
The breakfast is hearty and tasty and the restaurant is decent. A bit pricy, but Starwood hotels always like piling on the extra charges...

The bad bits:
The outside of the hotel is fairly nasty looking. But then you don't sleep outside!
They are also a bit mercinary with the rate hikes during the 6 nations. Supply and demand is always king, but then I discovered a wonderful, cheaper townhouse in Melrose (an hour up the road) which may test my loyalty!
My final gripe is a common one of American hotel bar menus around the world. Talisker is NOT a highland wiskey, it is an Island wiskey. There is no such wiskey "region" as Islay - it is simply the larger wiskey producing island in the Island region. Understandable in a New York hotel, unforgivable in an Edinburgh hotel!

Overall, I really like this hotel and would recommend it in a second. It has a great location, good staff, and a top notch spa.

Stayed November 2007
SheratonHotel, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 July 2008
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read your positve comments and your constructive feedback. Comments such as yours only assist us in ensuring that others too can continue to benefit from our personal 5 star service.

We do hope your enjoyable visits and happy memories will encourage you to stay with us again when you are next in Edinburgh.

Kind regards

JP Kavanagh
Los Angeles
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Stayed at the Sheraton in Edinburgh twice on my recent trip to Scotland. We were there for two nights in a club room with a castle view, then we went and toured the countryside and came back to the Sheraton for our last night in the country. On this last night we stayed in a regular (no view) room.

In both cases, the rooms were recently re-done and were absolutely fine. I don't know why there are such negative comments elsewhere on Trip Advisor. The rooms were spacious, the bed comfy, a couch and chair and table, the desk was large.

We ate our breakfasts in the club lounge, which was small, but the service was excellent. For example, they did not have soy milk out with the buffet, but I asked and the attendant was more than willing to go in the back and get me a pitcher of soy milk for my cereal.

We worked out at the spa three times. It is a GREAT gym, with lots of high tech equipment and perhaps the biggest and nicest pool that I've seen in a hotel. I swam laps one day and used the equipment the other days. It is a third party gym that happens to be connected to the hotel by a skybridge. It was compliementary for us to use, which is always nice as you don't feel "nickel and dimed".

The hotel is located just about three blocks or so off of Princes street, which is one of the main tourist blocks. It was easy to walk to the royal mile and up to the castle, though by the end of our day sightseeing, we had walked several miles and were happy to take a load off.

Overall, a very nice hotel and I would stay there again if travels take me to Edinburgh.

• Liked — great gym; friendly staff
  • Disliked — not much
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Patras
Reviewed 24 July 2008

This ideally located hotel would benefit a lot from a refurbishment. Our rooms were dark and dated with old and scratched furniture, had very thin walls and were never ready before 3-4 p.m. The bathrooms were not really that clean, with mold growing on the shower curtain. Breakfast was average. Some of the restaurant staff were unpleasant and rude. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Hotel Location
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Dennis6723
Aberdeen
Reviewed 22 July 2008

I’ve got to say that I think the Sheraton is coming in for some unnecessary criticism here and is still a fine hotel. We stayed there for 3 days (17-20 July 2008) and couldn’t fault the attitude of the staff. They were courteous and went out of their way to help, nothing was too much trouble. Maybe the difference is I don’t expect grovelling servitude from hotel staff but merely professionals and in that regard they are excellent.

Check-in was speedy but then there was no queue. This was my third stay and I have never been greeted by ‘surly females’. The receptionist was quick and efficient, her manner pleasant. The concierge escorted my mother to our room (she’s wheelchair bound) whilst I checked in. My luggage followed and my car was valet parked for me – no fuss. I don’t grudge the parking fee either which is extremely reasonable for the centre of Edinburgh and worth it for the peace of mind that my car is safe.

The room was very spacious and on entering realised we’d been upgraded to a club room with a lovely view of Edinburgh Castle and Festival Square – something that my mother much appreciated as she is largely housebound and the view gave her something else to enjoy from the hotel. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was ‘small’ yes, but it was big enough to do all one person at a time needs to! It was fine…though yes, the handle for flushing the toilet was coming away slightly and the sink a little marked, but it was spotlessly clean. The TV wasn’t plasma, but OK, that’s not such a problem for me, what was an issue was on our final night the sound kept inexplicably dipping and certain channels would frequently ‘scramble’ and jump around. That was annoying so maybe that set is in need of repair/replacement. If it had been that way from day 1 then I would've complained/requested a new set and I can see how that might've disappointed some people. Not being a great TV fan it wasn't so much of an issue for me but something (that if management were aware of, and they may well not have been) should be addressed.

We ate in the Terrace Restaurant the first evening and I found the food good and the price for 3-course carvery reasonable. The service was adequate and we had no complaints. On the second evening evening we ate in the Exchange Bar and the waitress was very understanding of my mother’s health/eating requirements and phoned the chef to allow her to order from essentially the children’s menu (she couldn’t eat an ‘adults’ portion). The other staff were attentive and ensured my wine glass didn’t remain empty. On our final evening we ordered from the in room dining menu and our meal was promptly delivered. There was a slight mistake as the additional portion of chips I’d ordered wasn’t there but a call to room service soon corrected the error and the bowl of chips arrived with great apologies.

Breakfast was a good buffet and never a problem getting seated. Staff were attentive but the only thing I don’t like is making my own toast! I kind of like that to appear from the kitchen! That’s just me though maybe. The price is steep but that goes with the territory. It’s around the same in all similarly rated hotels and I felt better value was gotten when ordering in room as you got more of everything. Sounds odd, you can take as much as you like from the buffet, but when in room you get more coffee, toasts, rolls etc than you can eat (or I can). So I’d go with in room breakfast but then you lose the pleasure of eating in the restaurant and seeing the hubbub etc.

Check out was fine on the Sunday, there were 2 people in front of me but I have realistic expectations and didn’t mind waiting a couple of minutes to get attended to. Imagine that? A queue to check-out on a Sunday morning?! Damn the Sheraton!

If I have to nit-pick though I’d list the following negatives. The first time I stayed there was in 1999. I recall that every time our car or taxi pulled up at the back entrance, someone was there to leap out and open a door or offer to park the vehicle. The next visit in 2006 and then 2008, this was not case and I felt they’ve lost a nice touch they don’t do anymore. Likewise I had to ask for a porter for help with my luggage when it was obvious I’d just arrived – the porter was extremely helpful, I can’t fault him in that regard – but I shouldn’t have had to ask for help I don’t feel.

The hotel is billed as disabled friendly, and 99% of it is. There’s a ramp up to the front door on the Festival Square facing entrance but no automatic door or doorman to aid in holding the door open whilst struggling to get my mother (in a wheelchair) through the door. That is in stark contrast to the Balmoral and I think they should get something done there. Like I say, even an automatic door would’ve done the job.

The room was not ‘tired’ as some have complained. It was ‘used’ but not ‘tired’ in my opinion. If the hotel were to keep everything in A1 condition it would never turn a profit and the small ‘damage’ that I could see to furniture was entirely due to past guests who obviously had no respect for tabletops or other furniture. The room was spotless and overall well maintained and presented.

I’d certainly return again. For me it’s six and half a dozen with the Balmoral. Both have pluses and (small) minuses. It’s a matter of taste. The Sheraton is deserving of its 5-star rating in my opinion and I fail to see how anyone could be disappointed.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Lack of disabled access to front of hotel
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family