“Wonderful hotel and wonderful service”

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I would stay again in a heartbeat. Great hotel and an amazingly comfortable bed! Really fun room and nice amenities. Internet was fast, but was quite expensive for daily purchase. Hotel staff were full of recommendations for the city with my quick 24-hour trip! Had a great time!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank mariellerae
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you sincerely for this fantastic five star review of your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you only had a short space of time to explore our beautiful city, but we very much look forward to welcoming you back when you plan your next trip to Edinburgh.
Thank you once again for the recommendations.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Excellent hotel, all the staff from the doorman to the front desk were very helpful and very pleasant. Room was excellent and had a great breakfast...which was very welcome after a late night celebrating Robert Burns birthday :-)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank GerryBhoyGerry
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your comments of your recent stay with us. I am truly delighted that you had a great time and glad that you enjoyed the breakfast offering, I have passed these comments onto the Executive Chef and his team.
Thank you once again for the recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Sheraton for my birthday. It was bought as a surprise present.
First impressions, the hotel was impressive. Very modern throughout. Our room had a castle view which was great. The mood lighting in the room was brilliant and the colour changing lights in the bathroom were also a nice touch.

The hotel were aware that this stay was for my special birthday so we were a bit disappointed that nothing was put into place for this. Maybe a complimentary bottle of bubbly or something along those lines would have been very much appreciated and would have made this special break just that bit more special.
The nights that we stayed in the hotel were comfy in relation to the room itself but there seemed to have been a number of noisy guests staying in the hotel so it was not a peaceful break. I brought this to the attention of the receptionist when checking out and was told that there had been events going on but received no apology for this. This was a bit disappointing.
Overall, the hotel was lovely and the break as a whole was brilliant. I would definitely return to Edinburgh.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RaquelleWoody

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor of your recent stay with us. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your time here, and sorry that you were disappointed at the noise levels of other guests. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Regarding special occasions during a guest's stay, we do offer a complimentary drink in our bar, and hope that you had the chance to enjoy this.
Thank you once again for your feedback, it is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Booked with Airmiles so cann't really advise on the value for money aspect. We were able to check in really early which was great as we had spent the night on the sleeper. Room was large, well maintained and stylish. Did the sights and had a good breakfast on the Sunday. All staff friendly and attentive. Liked the location as it was quiet and away from all the crowds.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RoamingRobin
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We booked here for Afternoon Tea for my hen weekend! Can honestly say that every single one of us (16 girls in all) absolutely loved our experience here.
The staff were all so so friendly, from the receptionists when we first arrived to the waiters and waitresses who served us so that was really nice.
The hotel itself is absolutely lovely - really nice to walk into and gape around!
For our afternoon tea there was a huge choice of tea to choose from! I went for good old english breakfast but some of the girls were quite brave and went or random choices! The best thing is you get a wee case and get to smell the tea before you choose!
For the food, we had a choice of normal or european and once you'd chosen you got a cake stand filled of sandwiches, cakes and scones - all sooooo tasty!!
One of the best afternoon tea's I've ever had and I would definitley recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen L

Dear Guest
Thank you for this amazing five star review of your Afternoon Tea experience at One Square recently. I am truly delighted that you and your friends had such a fantastic time for your very special occasion. I have taken great pleasure in sharing your very kind comments with the team here who are equally pleased.
Thank you once again for this invaluable recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We found the room was spacious, with all the extras you would expect for a Sheraton hotel, including Sky Sports which my husband appreciated. The Club lounge waiter was very attentive and friendly, serving a delicious selection of canapés with drinks, from 5.30 to 7pm. The Club Lounge is particularly suited to adults, with internet access and Sky TV. Breakfast is also served in the lounge and as late as 11 am on weekends.
With several saunas and steam rooms it never felt too busy and the outside jacuzzi was amazing.
A great place to treat yourself to a relaxing weekend city break.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jennythetwin
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for this superb five star review, I am truly grateful for your very kind words and delighted that you enjoyed your break with us in one of our Club Rooms and enjoyed all the benefits with it.
Thank you once again and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us when you are next in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Stayed at the Sheraton over the new year for Hogmanay celebrations,
The staff at the reception on check in were professional and polite.
Paid for a level room overlooking the castle and festival square. The room was bright and comfortable with all modern conveniences. The view was outstanding which I must say is probably worth the extra. We did have one day where the maid service had missed our room when we had given them pretty much the whole afternoon to make the room up and after a tired day shopping could not be bothered to get them back in on our return. The hotel staff in the main bar area which was used instead of the standard level room were courteous and attentive and the service considering the large amount of people that were staying at the hotel was very good. We had breakfast room service new years eve morning which was very good but considering the amount that we ordered and that we had paid for the level room, I suggest that the price we were charged for the pleasure of this was slightly higher than any other level room that we had stayed in (some beans, toast and tea and coffee) plus generally hot breakfast are free in most hotels when paying extra for the level. New years day breakfast was cold and undercooked. What a contrast. This was mentioned to the staff on check - out.
We ate in the restaurant for new years night and despite the large amount of people in the restaurant the staff coped very well and the food was excellent. I made a special commendation and tipped quite generously the three staff that had looked after us only to find when paying my bill I had also been charged for service of 10% on the night which at 1am on new years day I'd failed to notice. I've always been given the option to make this at other hotels. Very disappointing at finding this on my bill when settling up. "The check-out" staffs comment was pretty much " tough you shouldn't have signed it!" Oh well my mistake sorry for your understanding and the large and stupid tip I gave your staff!
The actual level room on floor 7 was substandard to other rooms that we had been in before. The cold breakfast supplied was average and the member of staff looked like he'd been dragged through a hedge backwards. Maybe he was suffering from the new year still who knows? Perhaps the worst level room I've used. Disappointing for the price to say the least.
Unfortunately we did not try the spa so can't comment but looked pretty good.
The hotel is close to all amenities and a short walk from the main shopping areas. Parking is easy at the hotel £12 per night is pretty good for safe protected parking we didn't move our car until we left. Not sure if I would have got a space if I had of.
On the whole the hotel is tidy, clean and well maintained. The majority of the staff are attentive and helpful. Sorry Just didn't make the grade for me for the money that we paid.

Room Tip: If I did return. The location is a winner for me. I would not pay extra for the level room and maybe...