“One of the best”

Ranked #15 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bedfordshire, UK
“One of the best”
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Second time here at the Sheraton and it really is a fantastic luxurious hotel. Staff very good, rooms well equipped and spotless. Everything you expect from a 5 star hotel.

Stayed on the club level which included Spa access. This is where it lost a point. Both days we were there the Spa had technical issues and wasn't operating properly. Using the spa was why I choose this hotel and paying in excess of £300 a night I felt very upset the Spa rooms were all cold. Gutting. I'm sure when it's all working it's top notch but not time unfortunately. Doubt i would pay that rate again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
SheratonEdinburgh, Executive Assistant at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Guest

Further to your recent stay at the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, I would like to thank you sincerely for taking the time to email us and provided feedback about your stay. Your comments are important to us and we genuinely appreciate it.

I am sorry to learn that we fell behind your expectations with regards to the issue you encountered in the Thermal Suite at One Spa during your recent stay with us. We strive to ensure that all of our guests have an exceptional experience and we are not proud when we fail to delight a guest, however, this was an isolated situation outwith our control that took us completely by surprise, and I am sorry that this affected your stay.

Whilst we appreciate your very kind words regarding the rest of your stay, I am disappointed that you have left us with a negative opinion. This was not our intention and I do want to put it right. Therefore please can you contact me directly at alison.sproull@sheraton.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Alison

Alison Sproull
Executive Assistant to the General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
east ayrshire
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Much needed weekend getaway. From arrival to departure we were treated very well. The big comfy beds are awesome... Could do with one at home. We were in a club room overlooking the castle. What a view to wake up to in the morning. This hotel is Everything you would expect and more. Wish I could go there once a month. Brilliant

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a club room. From half five til half seven there are drinks and canapés provided...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Banchory, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Recently organised surprise party for my wife reaching the 'Grand' age of 50! Having told her of our planned break at the BIGGEST AND BEST Spa in Edinburgh, I was off to a great start. Arriving at reception things just got better. All staff were incredibly friendly and helpful attending to our every need. We made our way up to the 6th floor Suite which looked diagonally across to the Castle. We were greeted with a birthday card and complimentary bottle of fizz on ice. The room was stylish, contemporary and 'SUITABLY SCOTTISH' to host our event….Unbeknown to my wife we had a weekend full of surprises in store with the arrival of a further 12 family members from different countries; also guests at this SUPER COOL HOTEL. Renee in resort sales was so extremely helpful in setting up the room reservations taking care of every detail even down to the personalised birthday cake and positioning the rooms such that there were a suitable string of surprise re-unions one after another. The Club Lounge with delicious canapés and drinks, the outdoor roof top hydro-pool, rock sauna, laconium and level 2 terrace all provided perfect settings for various family members to show up unannounced. The National Gallery, Harvey Nichols and the Royal Mile were all within easy walking distance so we enjoyed dinner at the 'Angels with Bagpipes' restaurant and another historic Bistro before speeches, cake and champaign for party of fourteen in the luxurious Castle Suite back at the Sheraton Grand. Our kids swam in the large pool with their grandparents and everybody explored the tranquility of the thermal suite with bio-sauna, hamman and fragrant steam rooms. There was absolutely nothing about this SMART hotel and world class spa that was not PERFECT FOR THE OCCASION. …..cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: Club Rooms ARE worth the uplift. Castle view Club rooms in middle of level 7 with extra windows are...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Mike M
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for this amazing five star review of your recent stay. I am truly delighted that you and your family had such a great time, and I really appreciate the mention of my colleagues in our Resort Sales Team who assist you in arranging this very special occasion for your wife. What a fantastic thing to do, and we are so pleased that everyone had such an enjoyable time. Thank you once again and I will take great pleasure in sharing your very kind words with the teams here, and look forward to welcoming you and your family back when you are next in Edinburgh.
Arbroath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Loved this hotel from the moment we arrived. Reception staff were extremely friendly and we were checked in quickly.

We requested a room with a castle view which we received. The room was extremely clean with everything we needed. I think the bed is the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Even though our room was at the front of the hotel you don't get disturbed by street / road noise.

We had a few drinks in the hotel bar and a meal at the restaurant - I would definately recommend eating here - it was amazing.

Never had breakfast at the hotel so can't comment - but if it's anything like their evening meal it will be excellent.

We also paid to use the spa facilities - I loved this. The outside hydropool was brilliant.

The location of the hotel is ideal as you can walk to all the local attractions quite easily.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Castle - there doesn't seem to be much to look out onto at the...
1 Thank Smokie J
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel on a business trip. The hotel was fantastic but the trip did not start well as my luggage did not arrive with me. Airline was awful and i could not reach them over the phones they were giving in the web... I asked from the hotel if they have the telephone of the airline agent and without even telling me after a couple of hours they found my luggage! This is what i call professionalism and hospitality. Thanks a lot to the team for the fantastic support - keep up!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for this wonderful five star review of your recent stay with us here at the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and even more delighted that the team here managed to assist you in finding your lost luggage for you. I can appreciate that this would have been a stressful situation, therefore delighted that the team here were able to help.
Thank you once again for the recommendation, and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Edinburgh.
Best regards
Reigate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Visited Feb 2014 for 3 night leisure break. Location of hotel is excellent. Princes street is 5 mins walk away, Castle is 10 mins uphill walk. Airport 100 bus (every 15 mins) stops 5 mins walk away on Princes street (approx 25 mins journey to airport and £4 single) otherwise taxi rank outside hotel.

Hotel staff were all very helpful (reception, concierge, bar staff, spa staff) and very efficient. Had a superking room on 6th floor with great view of castle. Rooms very large, comfy bed, and decent bath/shower.

Used hotel bar for drinks and food which were reasonably priced and great service. We also used the spa which was excellent. I think the £30 guest fee is reasonable considering the quality of facilities. If they did not charge a fee it would be very busy and not a relaxing experience.

We did not order breakfast at hotel as there are several options nearby.

Gym was very good with decent facilities. One negative was some excessive night noise although this was from other hotel guests.

Would definitely return to Sheraton, Edinburgh.

Tips:

> Do visit the spa, allow 3 hours
> Paying extra for a view of the castle was well worth it
> Try one of the G&Ts in hotel bar
> For a nice walk, head direct from hotel up to Castle, then continue down the Royal Mile (shops /cafes/bars etc) to Holyrood Palace/Park, climb Arthur's seat and then find a bar which will be a well deserved drink.

Room Tip: View of castle worth upgrade
Dear Guest
Thank you for your fantastic five star review of your recent 3 night stay with us. I am delighted to read that you had such a great time here in Edinburgh and enjoyed your stay with us. I am really pleased that you found time in your busy schedule to take advantage of the offer at One Spa for hotel guests, and enjoyed relaxing after a busy day sightseeing. I also agree with you that a climb up Arthur's Seat is a great place to go and take in the stunning Edinburgh scenery.
Thank you sincerely once again and we very much look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Edinburgh.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here and couldn't have been happier. Why?
We live close to Edinburgh and due to renovations in our house we decided to stay in an Edinburgh hotel for our first hotel stay ever in our own city ! We chose the Sheraton Grand purely because of its local reputation and location.

The bedroom on the 7th floor, a Clubroom is definitely worth the cost. (See our pic of the stunning sunrise over Edinburgh Castle). The hotel is set back from the road, so no traffic noise at all, which is unusual in a city centre. The room design and lighting is quite dramatic and sumptuous, making us want to linger in our room. The most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in....I want to buy it for home !

The Clubroom offered us wine, good nibbles and cheese and brought us a menu to consider for their restaurant 'OneSquare' on the ground floor, which we had heard good reports about. What a relaxed way to start the evening. The Clubroom staff were chatty and telling us about dishes they knew to be particularly special.
On the way to the restaurant we saw a couple having a 'gin tasting experience' which looked great fun (note for my next visit !).

The dinner in OneSquare was an experience. Try and get a window table for 2 overlooking the beautiful Usher Hall and Castle. The menu had a broad choice. I had Scottish smoked salmon followed by slow cooked beef cheek, my wife had a potted duck starter and fillet steak. Every course was sublime and the wine tips were helpful. The staff were so professional and friendly.

Next morning my wife visited the Spa while I went to a business meeting and she had a 'heavenly time' ! There is a hot tub the size of a small swimming pool on the roof.

From the minute we arrived the staff were outstanding. The standard of genuinely helpful staff and relaxed chic decor made us feel quite spoiled. We'll be back again for a special occasion without needing the excuse of building chaos at home !

Room Tip: Go for the Club bedroom on the top floors with easy access to the Clubroom to lounge in ! Don't...
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us. I am truly delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay and I am delighted that you also found time to experience One Spa. I have shared your comments with the team here who are equally pleased at your very kind words, and we very much look forward to welcoming you and your wife back in the very near future.
Thank you once again, it is very much appreciated.