“Safe and reliable. Check-in staff delightful.”

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #18 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Popular modern hotel offering views of the Castle . Five minutes walk from Princes Street and major tourist sights. Hotel is located on the edge of the financial district so immediate surroundings are uninspiring . Rooms comfortable and modern although on the small side. Staff are enthusiastic and check in / check out exemplary. A good 4 star hotel . A safe bet for those looking for American service and quality at an affordable ( by European standards ) price.

Pros : Public areas bright and modern. Parking garage right next door. Restaurants and bars provide solid Sheraton fare. Front desk staff a delight - efficient and welcoming .

Cons : Rooms on the small side and are slightly tired. Long dark corridors. Bars and restaurants can get very busy - the hotel is clearly extremely popular with locals .

Sum up : We'd have no problem staying here again. Our suite looked out onto the Castle and the concert hall. Plenty of cabs around as the hotel is situated on the edge of the financial district. Not 5 star luxury but safe, efficient and welcoming 4 star. Overall very good. Everything you'd expect from a Sheraton.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the Castle and the Square. Rooms at the back look onto a brutalist concrete c...
1  Thank KellyNebraska
Write a ReviewReviews (2,976)

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I have stayed at this hotel 6/7 times and always enjoyed my stay. However, my stay over the Easter period was not up to standard for 5* hotel. The safe in the room was broken & so was the phone. Cleaning clothes were left in the room but worse still the noise from the room above. Sounded like there was an indoor football tournament going on but between 5am- 9 am. A car park refund was offered to placate us but we would have much rather had peace & quiet during our stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us on Trip Advisor. I am extremely sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay for several reasons you have outlined.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort that you experienced during this recent stay and I would like to assure you that the problems you experienced during your stay are not typical of the five star service we normally deliver here at the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa. Please rest assured that your feedback has been raised with the Housekeeping, Security and Engineer department so that we can work to avoid such matters reoccurring. For example, we have now implemented a full inspection of all safes and phones to ensure they are in working order.

Our guests are extremely important to us and I personally value any comments which our guests make, as it enables us to review current procedures in place and make amendments where both appropriate and possible. I sincerely hope that we will have the chance to demonstrate this at some stage in the near future.

Once again, please accept my apologies and I personally look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa in the future.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Thank you to the Sheraton Grand for offering this wonderful experience. I took my friend for a Gin Tasting at the Sheraton bar in Edinburgh. We were welcomed and took our places at the bar, Alessandro was our "expert". We learned some of the history of Gin and then looked at the different botanicals that flavour various gins. We tasted some neat gin to gauge the different tastes. Then tried some with different tonics. The range in flavour was amazing and Alessandro could not have been a better guide, if fact he made the experience what it was, fantastic! We were supplied with water, salted almonds and popcorn which was a nice touch. We rolled out of the Sheraton 2 hours later having had a wonderful experience. This is highly recommended. Thank you Alessandro.

Room Tip: Club Room Castle facing.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Anne5900

Dear Guest
Thank you for this fantastic five star review of your recent visit to One Square Bar at the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed your Gin Tasting experience and have taken great pleasure in sharing your very kind words with Alessandro and the rest of the bar staff. With over 52 gins, there is a great selection to chose from, and I am really pleased that Alessandro and the team took great care of you.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

A modern hotel which is well located for visiting the castle and Royal Mile. Rooms are spacious and stylishly decorated. Hotel guests receive complimentary use of the spa swimming pool. Staff are professional, friendly and polite. Well worth considering if you're planning a sightseeing trip to Edinburgh soon.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with the Trip Advisor community. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed for 2 nights 4 people 2 rooms, booking in was easy and friendly next door rooms on floor 6.
Very nice rooms crisp sheets and very comfortable beds we had a good sleep both nights. Bathroom has mood lighting which is great fun, double end baths loads of hot water, Red lights for night just in case you need to go no need for bright white light good idea. Lovely bar biggest selection of Gin and Whiskey have seen for a long time also 4 different types of tonic staff a very good and they make very good cocktails.

Pool is very nice infinity and changing rooms are clean and loads of extras the towel is in the cubicle with digital number key pad. Only thing the sauna etc circuit cost £30pp extra come on Sheraton that should be inclusive for Hotel Guest.

Overall nice stay Staff are attentive, informative and give the place to me character.

Nice and central for food sights and Castle.

Room Tip: Become a member of their club and you will get 6 floor rooms less noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here at the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that overall you had positive comments, however I am sorry that the Escape at One charges were not explained to you. We offer guests complimentary use of the Fitness Studio and 19m Swimming Pool. All other treatments are charged separately which include the Thermal Suite and Hydro Pool area (known as Escape at One) as these heat and hydro experiences are a treatment within themselves, hence the reason that there is a charge.
Thank you once again for this important feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

This hotel is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed in.The staff are friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and polite. The food was excellent both in taste and value for money and the one square restaurant was roomy,clean and the service fantastic.Anyone staying really should use the spa. The hotel is centrally located,opposite theatres with a fantastic view of the castle from our room,309.Whenever I travel to Scotland now I will always stay at the Sheraton grand

Room Tip: Rooms above the front entrance get the best views of the castle and quiet
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I visit Edinburgh about 3-4 times a year. I normally stay at Balmoral Hotel but I tried Sheraton this time as I understood that they have face lifted the rooms and common areas. The whole place became much more modern and I think it is tastefully done. It would be nice to have a room facing the castle but if you are on business then it does not really matter. The general service was good and fast. The room service and club lounge's breakfast was also above average. If I compare against Balmoral, I find Sheraton more functional and better quality. Having said that, it was during the off season and the hotel was not full - hence I will try to see their service level during the peak season. I will try to stay there again later this year.

Room Tip: A room facing the castle would be nicer.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your experience from your recent stay with us. I am delighted that overall you had a great stay with us and appreciate the comments about the high levels of service overall.
Thank you once again and we very much look forward to welcoming you back when you next plan to visit Edinburgh.