“Great location and service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Houston, Texas
“Great location and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a perfect place to stay in Edinburgh. It is close to everything, especially is you like to walk. The castle is 15 minutes away as is both old town and new town. The service is superb and the rooms clean and comfortable. There is plenty of space in the rooms and the bathrooms are nice. I would most definitely stay here again.

Furthermore, my wife left her purse in a taxi and the hotel helped track it down and returning it to us.

Room Tip: I would stay on an inside room to decrease street noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 688DavidR688

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Located in the heart of the city and next to palace. Walking distance to local areas and restaurants.
Rooms and service are both great. Beds are heavenly of course and bathrooms are clean and modern with standing showers.
We did our laundry for £15 per bag. They have a service that comes by for drop off and pick up laundry. Clothes were washed nicely with fresh fragrance. What a pleasure.
Also Glenn, at concierge is helpful and very tentative.
Taxi ride to hotel costs £20 from airport.
Thank you Sheraton Edinburg for a excellent stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you sincerely for the great review you gave us from your recent stay here at the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back when you are next in town.
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I was presenting at a conference but decided to combine business with pleasure. I tend to like more historical boutique hotels so didn't expect to be wowed by the Sheraton. My significant other and I loved the hotel! Breakfast (included) was wonderful. We opted for a castle view upgrade, which was beautiful. Great location, very helpful staff. The restaurant was excellent and the bar was fun. Took a bit to figure out the room lighting, but it was fun. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation. Nicest Sheraton I have stayed at.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

On business. Centrally located. Modern, clean, large rooms. Smallish club lounge but did the trick. All public areas well presented. Staff efficient and friendly. Good choice. Nice views of castle from room I had. Recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for this fantastic five star review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and very much look forward to welcoming you back.
Thank you also for the recommendation, it is very much appreciated.
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

So I wrote a review for this after staying one night about 18 months ago. Since then I have been there a lot on business, more than I care to mention, but I am still very impressed with the place.

The rooms are almost all really nice. Quite modern, which you may or may not like.

The gym is big and well specced.

The pool is excellent, probably my fav amongst all business type hotel pools i have seen, and most of the time I was there it wasn’t too busy, though it is annoying that there are a couple of spa type baths in the pool area that in 9 months of going to and regularly swimming I have never seen working once. No shallow areas so it is a length swimming pool, not one for little kids.

I really should have been to the spa once, but not really a spa type, so haven’t been.

Restaurant is good.

Lounge is great, free nibbles and drink from 530-730 and a light breakfast in the morning too. The nibbles get very samey if you go there a lot, they could do with more than a 4 or 5 type cycle. Never ever made it to happy hour for 530, but it is amazing how many G+Ts or glasses of red wine you can pack into 35 minutes if you are motivated and have attentive staff like they do up there.

Staff on the whole are great, though sometimes problems (usually related to problems with the lights or telly) don’t seem to be communicated around very well, which has led to 3 earnest staff members one after the other valiantly trying to fix a problem that clearly isn’t their area of expertise, rather than the message properly getting to the person who can fix it.

My biggest complaint, by a million miles, was that the cleaning staff used to park their trolleys outside the rooms in preparation for cleaning the rooms, on the lower floors this was stupidly early, and wake me up. Thankfully the last couple of months this seems to have changed. The corridors aren’t that long, so it never made any sense to me why they couldnt keep them away. A few complaints were made about this but it never seemed to make any difference.

Having stayed here so much I must now have enough loyalty type points to ensure I generally get nicer rooms. The Castle View ones are a definite step up from the standard ones, much more airy. Most of the standard ones are fine and still nice, though a few I have found a bit dark and claustrophobic.

If I had just been staying in the standard rooms would have only given this a 4, but as they usually give me a nicer room…

Overall I think there have been a few issues with the hotel, but not enough for me to dislike it, which is saying something given how often I have stayed in it.

Really nice place.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest
Thank you for this fantastic five star review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us in one of our Club Rooms.
Thank you also for the recommendation, it is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Edinburgh.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I had a pleasant two night stay here recently.
Check-in was very smooth and all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful.
Our room did not have a great view, but was clean and well appointed with all the usual appliances, although a decent size, it did seem a little cramped. The bed was firm and comfortable and the bathroom very modern, but the control panel for all the mood lighting was beyond me but fun. The rooms were fairly quiet and only heard a couple of doors during the night.
The breakfast buffet had a fantastic selection to choose from, you really are spoilt for choice. All the hot dishes we had were excellent in flavour and quality, and great for starting the day, top marks to all concerned.
We would have no hesitation in returning here, not the cheapest place to stay but still offers good value.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stephen j
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a fantastic 4 day trip for my husband's 30th birthday. We travelled with my brother and sister in law who have visited the hotel a number of times previously, but this was our first time. The rooms were fantastic and despite arriving to the hotel several hours early our room was ready very quickly. We also loved the club lounge and found the spa completely perfect. A few niggles were mostly with staff communication, including a mix up with my husband's birthday cake leading to the surprise being ruined. What I would say though is we were offered complimentary drinks to compensate, which proves customer service is certainly important to this hotel. However when you have spent months planning a trip, I was very angry none the less. I also would have liked to have been offered a castle facing room, even if this was as an additional cost, however perhaps no rooms were available so it isn't a negative point as such, more of a comment.

The front desk were exceptionally attentive, proving maps, tips and friendly advice when asked. The email communication is also excellent to organise surprises prior to our trip. However we weren't told anything about how to use the spa, which was part of our room package, and found ourselves wandering aimlessly until we were told about a special bracelet you need to enter the outdoor pool, how to use the lockers and robes/flip flops, it would have been nice had this been mentioned at check in, or had there been someone on the 5th floor spa desk to greet us.

Room Tip: Club rooms are very good value for money
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SarahLeanneG
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, however I am sorry that we were unaware of the birthday cake being a surprise as this was not communicated to us from the supplier.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!