“Typical chain hotel in a big city”

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #18 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Started our tour on the UK at this hotel. Did not love it - typical impersonal big hotel. Buffet breakfast fine but rest of food average; rooms just OK. Location fair- could see Castle from the front of hotel but we had NO view from our room. Going out the front of the hotel into a kids playground and stalls selling stuff was a big turnoff. However, could walk to the Hop On Hop off bus and good restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you sincerely for your rating on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations however have taken your comments on board and will share them with the team here.
Thank you once again, it is very much appreciated.
Tristan Nesbitt

Write a ReviewReviews (2,975)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

If you have stayed in Sheraton before then not much new to report. The pool was closed, but I knew this.

Breakfast was a good buffet spread - but I never like it when they cook the sausages on one thin side, so 80% of the sausage is pale white; just a thing of mine but you'd think they could make more of an effort!

Room is good, but I don't like it with open glass at bottom of bathroom doors - just doesn't feel private when you want to be.

Concierge was a bit stand offish, but did his job. Reception was efficient and good natured.

TV channel selection was a pain. Would be easier just to have a list on screen so you don't have to shuffle so much.

Parking was easy in hotel. Central and easy access for everything.

Free internet runs out after an hour - bit annoying when you pay a premium already.

No complaints, just comments! Wouldn't pay it myself, but was business trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I am sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations in certain aspects, but I thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I will certainly share these with the team here for review.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Arrived before check in time, but this was not an issue. Completed check in and went sightseeing.
Staff were very friendly and offered advice on the best ways to get around the city either walking or bus tours. Walked to the castle, then finished off with a bus tour and Whisky experience.

Returned to hotel, key was ready and the luggage already on the room. Room was large with a spacious bathroom with ample hot water. The room also offered fantastic views of the castle.
After getting our bearings we found the hotel to be in a great location with most sight seeing places only a short walk 30 minutes walk away. Did walk up to the castle & were advised it was quite a steep walk, but still enjoyable.

Breakfast was included and had a very good selection of hot and cold options.
Overall the hotel was great value for money. The only hiccup was that the spa was closed, but they did offer a curtesy car to a nearby spa if we required it. As we did not have a long time at the hotel this was not an issue but were happy that they had at least made other arrangements.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for this wonderful review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had such a successful break and very much value your comments. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my husband for 2 nights. It's modern, clean and spacious, everything we expected from the Sheraton. The sizeable room was excellent with their amazingly comfortable beds (I had one of the best night sleep this year!), the mood lighting and air conditioning that worked perfectly.
The staff are very attentive without being intrusive in their bar and the ambience is excellent. We upgraded to a castle view and although this was nice the view itself isn't as impressive as it is on the other side of the city (Princes street).
The location is excellent, a short walk and you are on Princes st, Georges st.
The check-in was only ok - the girl that checked us in was not as friendly as we have come to expect and couldn't answer the few questions we had about the city and she didn't offer to have our bags brought up to our room however that is a very small negative on an overall excellent experience.
I would high recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a little bit of luxury in this wonderful city. I'll certainly be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I think this is our 5th or 6th stay at the Sheritan. The rooms are very well appointed; there's no real debate to be had about that.

In the past we've had technical problems with our room. We stayed to celebrate our engagement last year and the bath in our room broke. I was asked if I really needed the bath (saying as there was a shower) and well yeah, at this price, I want my bath to work. Also in the same room our phone didn't work, and the lights were dodgy. We got moved to a smaller room, which I thought was ridiculous. Eventually we got a marginally better room but not exactly as good as I would expect given the inconvenience.

The saving grace in that visit was the night manager, Craig. He looked after us and was basically the reason we decided to return.

This time, again technical issues with the room (the phone and the TV were a bit off and needed to reset a few times).

In this case, a different saviour. The bar/ restaurant staff. Firstly, let it be said that the food here is unbelievable. The steak in particular. Wow.

Hugely special mention to Vorster, our waiter over 2 evenings. Absolutely amazing. Friendly, attentive, helpful; just wonderful. A truly brilliant person and member of staff to be proud of. Really couldn't have asked for more! The bar manager, Hugh, was also lovely.

Will definitely return, but in all honesty, mainly due to the staff they recruit. Have stayed in many beautiful hotels and rooms, but the chefs as well as people like Craig, last time; and Vorster this time, make it worthwhile coming back. Give these guys a pay rise!

Side note- tried to point out how great Vorster was to reception on check out; they didn't have a clue he was and made no attempt to hide it, thought this was a bit unprofessional and to be honest was quite unimpressed with their customer service.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Lovely hotel close to the castle. Very nice reastaurants all within walking distance. Princes street close by but far enough away not to have revellers. I stayed there on burns night which had lots of men in kilts. The weather was cold the wind absolutely biting you must take a scarf or hat if travelling there in the winter the headache from the wind was awful but cured quickly once out of the wind. Hotel very nice and luxuriious bathroom and the bed an absolute dream, free room safe, Highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed recently in this hotel for 2 nights with my wife. The hotel is in a wonderful location, very central in the new town side of Edinburgh. I'd advise an upgrade to a castle view but having said that the view of the castle from this location is not that dramatic as say from Princes St. The rooms are very well appointed with amazing scene lighting that can suit your mood to taste. The hotel facilities were fantastic and the one spa and gym are among the best I have ever seen at a hotel. The pool was closed for renovation however. Staff were professional and friendly and the concierge was excellent. Although we didn't eat in the restaurant, the menus looked very apertising and the bar staff were very attentive. Would I stay here again? In a heartbeat, it was a wonderful hotel with probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Upgrade to castle view