“A great first stay in Edinburgh”

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I had a one-night stay with my wife here in late August 2014. It was our first visit to Scotland. We rented a car at the airport and drove to the hotel.

The good

-the staff were great, from check-in to concierge to lounge attendants
-the hotel is clean, modern, and stylish
-the lounge food was excellent, both evening and breakfast
-the pool and fitness centre are large and well-equipped
-close to the Castle and local attractions (10 minute walk)

The bad

-our hair dryer didn't work, but it wasn't a huge deal as we used the one in the spa
-the fitness centre doesn't have barbells or a squat rack/bench
-the parking at 12 GBP is a bit expensive

Overall

We had a great stay. The staff were welcoming, friendly, and helpful, the hotel was very comfortable, and the facilities were impressive. Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sendaiben

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We had a short visit to Edinburgh and stayed at the Sheraton. Great hotel, reasonably priced. Very friendly staff and as expected for a Sheraton, very comfortable room. We had a room facing the castle and the view was great. Took a few wonderful pictures of the castle from our hotel room window. Room was very quiet.

Room Tip: For a short stay Pay the extra for a view of the castle. Great picture opportunity.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Peter H
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This is a perfectly decent business hotel - but the pricing and service are disturbingly at odds with its aspiration to be international class. For instance: charging £40 for broadband is about 5 years out of date in the context of hotels in America giving high speed internet as standard for free. And with rooms at £400 a night in the festival (by the way ours went uncleaned one day as well) it's pretty poor that the much-vaunted pool and spa was out of order, without a discount. Avoid if you can.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you were less than satisfied with certain aspects of your stay and will share your feedback with the team.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed here in June 2014 in the Club Level.

First - the good parts:
- The One spa here was fantastic - very enjoyable
- Our room was nice and was always clean
- The location of the hotel was quite convenient
- The director of the Club Level Lounge, Mariusz, was outstanding. He was so kind and welcoming and he really went out of his way to make sure we were enjoying our stay. If you can swing it, the Club level is the way to go at this hotel.

Unfortunately our stay was somewhat marred by a very unfortunate both check-in and check-out process. I won't get into the details, but I will say that my credit card was run twice at check-in and although they assured me it didn't go through twice, I later found out that there were indeed two holds put on the card. Also, my bill on check-out included additional wi-fi fees that I was clearly informed at check-in were already included in the Club Level rate. I wouldn't have been bothered by either of these two things much if the front desk staff were a little more helpful when I mentioned them upon checkout. Unfortunately we found the service quite rude which really left a bad taste in our mouth for this hotel after spending over $2,000 for three nights.

I have given this hotel an "average" rating for service. Though I note that if left to the front desk staff, I would have given a Poor rating, while if left to the Club Level staff, I would have given an Excellent rating.

Overall, we found this hotel was a good one, though unfortunately a bit stained for us by our poor experience with front desk staff. Be careful on check-in and check-out, but otherwise, as I mentioned above, the hotel was clean, the spa was great and the service in the Club Lounge was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DuffyEh
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. Whilst I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay in one of our Club rooms, I am very disappointed to read that you had a bad experience with our Front Desk associates which we are currently investigating. On a positive note, I have passed on your very kind words to Mariusz who will be equally pleased.
Thank you for this important feedback, and I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Sheraton Grand when you are next in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed two nights during the Fringe. Ideally situated for all tourist attractions and Princess Street for shopping. The hotel is modern. Our room overlooked Usher Hall and the Castle for which we paid extra. Breakfast was very good. Staff and service first class. Lighting in the room was somewhat confusing and the water pressure in the bathroom was very low. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a castle view room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here twice and loved it both times. You are greater by a Kiltsman outside and bags brought in. The front desk staff were super sweet. In the lobby they have water and Scottish biscuits out (try them, they are great and the flavors change each day).

The rooms are spacious for a European city and they have super comfortable beds. Shower and tin are great.

The location is great- walking to tons of little restaurants and coffee shops as well as a short walk to the castle and royal mile.

Loved having a room
Facing the Edinburgh Castle. Lovely
View to wake up to

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we very much look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Edinburgh. Thank you also for the recommendation, it is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I spent the weekend in Edinburgh at the Sheraton hotel and had an amazing experience. I came up after a business trip in London where I had a disappointing stay at an SPG property. From the time I walked in I was treated well, my SPG platinum status well recognized with a nice room, newly renovated, modern yet functional with a view of the castle and access to the Club Lounge. This was one of the nicest club lounges I have experienced including a breakfast with plenty of choices and evening drinks and appetizers including sparkling wine on the weekends. The spa and gym were amazing...tons of machines, exercise classes, beautiful pool and spa. The festival in Edinburgh was great but I also enjoyed spending time at this fabulous hotel. I will definitely be back and recommend to friends.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo