“not so plush and bring your passport!”

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
scotland
“not so plush and bring your passport!”
Reviewed 24 February 2009

I stayed at the Sheraton Edinburgh on a Saturday night with my husband (21st February). We have 2 children and were very much looking forward to our long awaited trip away which took much organising with in-laws, sisters etc. When we arrived at the hotel, the staff member dealing with our check in requested that I show some photographic Identification which I explained to him I could not produce. As I had travelled from Glasgow that afternoon I did not have my Passport with me. Further, I do not carry my drivers license out in my bag as the hassle to replace it if my bag was stolen outweighs the need to actually produce it anywhere - If in the rare instance I was to be stopped by the police, a british citizen has 48 hours to produce this document at a police station. Therefore these 2 main forms of photographic ID (for someone from the UK) were not in my possession. There was a little awkwardness from the person dealing with the booking in, however he was satisfied enough that I was whom I purported to be by my ability to produce at least 2 bak/credit cards.

When I asked him where was it stated that I required photo ID for the Sheraton he said it was clearly stated on the digital paperwork received during the internet booking. I made a note to check this on returning home. I was a little upset that with all the preparations that I had made for this all but brief trip for my husband may have been in vain as we almost 'fell at the last hurdle' to be accepted as guests.

I have now had a little time to review the email confirmation from the Sheraton and this is what it states: 'Please note: For security purposes, you will be asked to provide a valid government or state-issued photo ID at check-in'. This is quite far down the email and is under a banner called 'PRIVACY'. As I am sure anyone is aware, the British government does not issue ID cards - well not yet anyway, therefore these documents you seek would be best described as Passport or Driving License.

I would therefore comment that something so pivotal and enshrined within the Sheraton's checking in procedures must be stated very clearly and nearer to the key information that I consider most important when checking a confirmation letter ie. the arrival date, the number of people to stay, the duration etc... rather than in the last 2 thirds of the email. Further is 'PRIVACY' the correct banner to describe the importance of bringing these documents? Would "KEY IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS REQUIRED" not be more fitting or 'BRING THESE OR THERE WILL BE AWKWARDNESS" ? Further the confirmation email states within the first information block 'Because you don't just stay here. You belong.' , Well, I am afraid that we did not feel welcomed.

I emailed the Sheraton Customer Services about all of the above and a polite mostly generic email came back. The responder wrote 'Unfortunatly producing a valet ID on check in is a Starwood policy and the member of staff checkin you in followed the hotel procedure.' (copied as written). She also noted that if I spoke to her directly at the time of a future booking I would get an upgrade - this sounds a bit like spend more money and we will show you that we like you.

Lastly the breakfast prices (room service) were way over the top. The freshly squeezed grapefruit juice was so acidic I half expected Warrant Officer Ripley to enter the room worriedly looking for the alien that secreted it.

The spa, my husband tells me, was fantastic so I might be persuaded to return for that, otherwise the hotel was fine, definitely not 5 star, the club lounge that a club room rate gives you access to is a tiny bedroom sized room with a loo off it which is so small that everyone can't help themselves but stare at you when you walk in so this is not a selling point for paying more for that type of room.

3 Thank glasgowmum_9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed 17 February 2009

We stayed for three nights, had an excellent time, excellent service. Very friendly efficient staff. Excellent facilities.
The only problem was I felt the room was tired and in need of update to decor. The toilet had a broken mirror, and a crack in the hand basin. the tiles looked quite dull and in need of fresh grout. there was quite a gap under the hand basin where the access to the pipework was and clearly required better fitment. The mirror lights cubicle was in need of some attention as it appeared to be moving from the wall.
The lighting in the room was also very poor dispite several light fitments.
I was quite disappointed with the room as I have been in The Sheraton in Toronto, and thought the Edinburgh Sheraton would be of the same class, unfortunately ther was no comparrison.

• Liked — Excellent service and meals. Friendly staff, willing to find any information required
  • Disliked — Bedroom accommodation.
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
North East England
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I have just arrived back from the Sheraton Hotel where my partner and I stayed for two nights for Valentines Day. The hotel was immaculate and the room was very spacious. All staff were polite, helpful and friendly. The room service Menu was very reasonably priced and was delivered within 20 minutes! The Spa facilities were outstanding and well worth the cost. I would definately recommend this hotel!

Essex
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I was lucky enough to have been taken here by my husband for a Valentines surprise, we flew into Edinburgh airport and got a taxi right outside to the hotel, very friendly driver. Onward Travel.

Arriving at the hotel, we checked in very quickly and our room was ready, great room, really spacious on the 5th floor.

We were booked into the One Spa, adjoined to the hotel for the afternoon.
Wow it is lovely, nice area to have lunch in, and then into the pool and thermal suite area, all really lovely and clean, fantastic outside roof terrace hydropool,
I had a treatment, the best i have ever had, hot stone massage, whole experience lasted nearly 2 hours, well worth it.
Beautifully decorated and therapist Lynsey was great too.

In the evening we ate at Santini, also situated at the hotel, again great staff and lovely food, went out of their way to accommodate our needs.

A very good experience of Edinburgh, please go and enjoy it too.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
1 Thank kauger001
Aberden
Reviewed 13 February 2009

Stayed at hotel with hubby dec 12th 08. Had a really good stay here hotel cant complain about it everything is excellent considering the time of year we were there, the hotel was lively but didnt disturb us at all. The afternoon teas are a must.

Sampled the breakfast the only thing I think they should invest in is a bigger toaster. other than that it was good.

Recommend the Roti restaurant 73 morrison street which is just at the back of the sheraton, its an Indian restaurant and the desserts are to die for..

another restuarant is blue which is just across the road, also good very busy indeed and lively, also tiger lily is a must in george street, food atmosphere is brilliant.

Also recommend charlie miller for a blow wave 13 stafford street which is just up from the hilton hotel on the right hand side, you will see a chur ch there and its half way down that street..

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank torridontraveller
Scotland
Reviewed 4 February 2009

We were not sure about staying here due to previous reviews but were pleasantly surprised. Having just stayed a couple of nights in the Hilton Caledonian we found the Sheraton a far better experience. Staff were excellent, breakfast was one the best with a great selection of continental as well as cooked foods. Huge comfortable and stylish foyer lounge to relax in for coffee, cocktails, lunch. Spa meant to be fantastic but we didnt manage to go. Babies hours are restricted to 3-5pm each day which didnt suit us. The bedroom was spacious and clean although no view to speak of and the bathroom not meeting the quality one would expect from a 5 star hotel. Shower over bath with a clingy shower curtain, plastic fittings and small. However the overall experience of the Sheraton was very positive.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
Cambridge
Reviewed 11 January 2009

Stayed at the Shearton for 3 nights in January 09. Very excited about the thought of staying at the 5 star Sheraton in Edinburgh, and expectations were high, especially after staying at the very impressive Sheraton in Cork last year.

On arrival the reception and bar areas were as expected. However, the bedroom was little better than a travel lodge. The bathroom was very small and there were still hairs on the floor from the previous guest. The bath was grotty and I had no desire to run a bath and have a soak. There was a robe in the room, but no slippers as advertised. The towels were very small and in need of an upgrade. I can give the bed a thumbs up.

Surprised to find that the dinner and breakfast was buffet style (yes, you will have to make you own toast and coffee as well!). The furniture in the dinning room was comparable to that of a canteen. The cooked breakfast was not special.

A positive, the conference dinner we had there was excellent. Ran smoothly and the food was fantastic.

Overall, the hotel is close to the city centre and conference centre. I feel the hotel is overpiced and does not reflect it's 5 stars. Interestingly, collegues staying in other hotels in the area thought that their hotels were not living up to their star rating either!

• Liked — Beds
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lothian3, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 January 2009
Dear Guest

May I offer sincere apologies that your recent visit did not meet your expectations but rest assure that your comments have been shared with our Rooms Division Manager and our Director of Food & Beverage.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the future in order to have the opportunity to regain your trust.

Kind regards.