“Enjoyable Stay, but expensive for what you get!!”

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Newcastle
“Enjoyable Stay, but expensive for what you get!!”
Reviewed 2 April 2009

A party of 4 (Two young coulpes) spent New Year at the Grand! Grand isnt really how i would describe it. The rooms are of fairly basic furnishing & fairly small. The Exchange Bar is loevly & won Whisky hotel of the year 2008...so if you like your Whisky & Cogniac then this place is ideal for you, however be sure to read the drinks price list as i ordered 2 double whisky's on ice & needed a mortgage to pay for it (believe it or not you can pay almost £150 per double)!!!!!!

The spa isnt all it's made up to be, first of all its above a multi storey car park & secondly only the main standard pool & jet baths are free. The spa pool will cost you £20 to enter every time regardless how long you stay in it!!

The location is a bit seedy ie; strippers etc but that didnt bother me too much :-).

Overall 6/10

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Stevotoon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Worcester
Reviewed 12 March 2009

This hotel is what you would expect from any large chain - clean comfortable rooms, not overly spacious but well decorated. Great shower! However, it is expensive (£150 ish per room per night, room only) and not worth this money. It's well presented but once you're inside the hotel, and particularly the rooms, you could be in any chain hotel, anywhere in the world. There is no character or wow factor, and I have stayed in many almost identical rooms for about half the cost. The only main thing going for this is the location - it is about a minute's walk from Princes Street so you're right in the heart of everything. The other thing worth mentioning is the Spa - it's got a nice pool and exceptional changing rooms - but despite the complex being within the hotel, it is very much designed for non-residents, with hotel residents having access to very limited facilities (think just the pool only but could be wrong!). You can pay to upgrade and use the jacuzzi, sauna etc, but this is about £30 each - another indication of the lack of value-for-money nature of the hotel. There is parking onsite which is charged at about £9 per day.

3 Thank teamsmugs
scotland
Reviewed 24 February 2009

I stayed at the Sheraton Edinburgh on a Saturday night with my husband (21st February). We have 2 children and were very much looking forward to our long awaited trip away which took much organising with in-laws, sisters etc. When we arrived at the hotel, the staff member dealing with our check in requested that I show some photographic Identification which I explained to him I could not produce. As I had travelled from Glasgow that afternoon I did not have my Passport with me. Further, I do not carry my drivers license out in my bag as the hassle to replace it if my bag was stolen outweighs the need to actually produce it anywhere - If in the rare instance I was to be stopped by the police, a british citizen has 48 hours to produce this document at a police station. Therefore these 2 main forms of photographic ID (for someone from the UK) were not in my possession. There was a little awkwardness from the person dealing with the booking in, however he was satisfied enough that I was whom I purported to be by my ability to produce at least 2 bak/credit cards.

When I asked him where was it stated that I required photo ID for the Sheraton he said it was clearly stated on the digital paperwork received during the internet booking. I made a note to check this on returning home. I was a little upset that with all the preparations that I had made for this all but brief trip for my husband may have been in vain as we almost 'fell at the last hurdle' to be accepted as guests.

I have now had a little time to review the email confirmation from the Sheraton and this is what it states: 'Please note: For security purposes, you will be asked to provide a valid government or state-issued photo ID at check-in'. This is quite far down the email and is under a banner called 'PRIVACY'. As I am sure anyone is aware, the British government does not issue ID cards - well not yet anyway, therefore these documents you seek would be best described as Passport or Driving License.

I would therefore comment that something so pivotal and enshrined within the Sheraton's checking in procedures must be stated very clearly and nearer to the key information that I consider most important when checking a confirmation letter ie. the arrival date, the number of people to stay, the duration etc... rather than in the last 2 thirds of the email. Further is 'PRIVACY' the correct banner to describe the importance of bringing these documents? Would "KEY IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS REQUIRED" not be more fitting or 'BRING THESE OR THERE WILL BE AWKWARDNESS" ? Further the confirmation email states within the first information block 'Because you don't just stay here. You belong.' , Well, I am afraid that we did not feel welcomed.

I emailed the Sheraton Customer Services about all of the above and a polite mostly generic email came back. The responder wrote 'Unfortunatly producing a valet ID on check in is a Starwood policy and the member of staff checkin you in followed the hotel procedure.' (copied as written). She also noted that if I spoke to her directly at the time of a future booking I would get an upgrade - this sounds a bit like spend more money and we will show you that we like you.

Lastly the breakfast prices (room service) were way over the top. The freshly squeezed grapefruit juice was so acidic I half expected Warrant Officer Ripley to enter the room worriedly looking for the alien that secreted it.

The spa, my husband tells me, was fantastic so I might be persuaded to return for that, otherwise the hotel was fine, definitely not 5 star, the club lounge that a club room rate gives you access to is a tiny bedroom sized room with a loo off it which is so small that everyone can't help themselves but stare at you when you walk in so this is not a selling point for paying more for that type of room.

3 Thank glasgowmum_9
Scotland
Reviewed 17 February 2009

We stayed for three nights, had an excellent time, excellent service. Very friendly efficient staff. Excellent facilities.
The only problem was I felt the room was tired and in need of update to decor. The toilet had a broken mirror, and a crack in the hand basin. the tiles looked quite dull and in need of fresh grout. there was quite a gap under the hand basin where the access to the pipework was and clearly required better fitment. The mirror lights cubicle was in need of some attention as it appeared to be moving from the wall.
The lighting in the room was also very poor dispite several light fitments.
I was quite disappointed with the room as I have been in The Sheraton in Toronto, and thought the Edinburgh Sheraton would be of the same class, unfortunately ther was no comparrison.

• Liked — Excellent service and meals. Friendly staff, willing to find any information required
  • Disliked — Bedroom accommodation.
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
North East England
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I have just arrived back from the Sheraton Hotel where my partner and I stayed for two nights for Valentines Day. The hotel was immaculate and the room was very spacious. All staff were polite, helpful and friendly. The room service Menu was very reasonably priced and was delivered within 20 minutes! The Spa facilities were outstanding and well worth the cost. I would definately recommend this hotel!

Essex
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I was lucky enough to have been taken here by my husband for a Valentines surprise, we flew into Edinburgh airport and got a taxi right outside to the hotel, very friendly driver. Onward Travel.

Arriving at the hotel, we checked in very quickly and our room was ready, great room, really spacious on the 5th floor.

We were booked into the One Spa, adjoined to the hotel for the afternoon.
Wow it is lovely, nice area to have lunch in, and then into the pool and thermal suite area, all really lovely and clean, fantastic outside roof terrace hydropool,
I had a treatment, the best i have ever had, hot stone massage, whole experience lasted nearly 2 hours, well worth it.
Beautifully decorated and therapist Lynsey was great too.

In the evening we ate at Santini, also situated at the hotel, again great staff and lovely food, went out of their way to accommodate our needs.

A very good experience of Edinburgh, please go and enjoy it too.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank kauger001
Aberden
Reviewed 13 February 2009

Stayed at hotel with hubby dec 12th 08. Had a really good stay here hotel cant complain about it everything is excellent considering the time of year we were there, the hotel was lively but didnt disturb us at all. The afternoon teas are a must.

Sampled the breakfast the only thing I think they should invest in is a bigger toaster. other than that it was good.

Recommend the Roti restaurant 73 morrison street which is just at the back of the sheraton, its an Indian restaurant and the desserts are to die for..

another restuarant is blue which is just across the road, also good very busy indeed and lively, also tiger lily is a must in george street, food atmosphere is brilliant.

Also recommend charlie miller for a blow wave 13 stafford street which is just up from the hilton hotel on the right hand side, you will see a chur ch there and its half way down that street..

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple