“Definitely Not 5 Star But Not Awful Either” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Definitely Not 5 Star But Not Awful Either”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2009

Our family of 4 (mom, dad, 13yr old and 5yr old) stayed here for Easter weeked using Starwood Points. If we hadn't been using points, I wouldn't have stayed here just to earn points as there are better values to be had in this town. Our executive room was quite spacious (king+ bed, desk & chair, sofa/chair/ coffee table seating area, TV/Bar cabinet) and easily handled the addition of a twin bed for our teen. We never felt cramped. I arrived expecting Sheraton's "Sweet Sleeper" bed. I thought they'd been rolled out to all locations and was quite disappointed to discover they had not. The bed was ok but nowhere near as comfortable as it could have been. Because I foolishly forgot that points didn't cover breakfast, we ate breakfast at the hotel 3 mornings in a row. The selection was outstanding although the cooked food was a bit "hit and miss". While we enjoyed our breakfasts, I certainly would never have chosen to pay 25GBP/person for cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, pastry and coffee! We did not use the spa as the hotel makes it abundantly clear it's not meant for children. Technically, kids are allowed to use the pool a few hours a day....but those hours are ridiculous. Mon to Friday: 15.00 – 17.00. Saturday & Sunday: 08.30 – 09.30 & 15.00 – 17.00. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to cut short sightseeing just to race back to the hotel so the kids can swim and then get cleaned up again for dinner. Later, say 17:00-20:00, would be far better...of course, that's when the spa is full of spa clients paying mega bucks for kid free quiet. Would I stay here again...maybe.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank NoStoppinUs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Gloucester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2009

The main reason we stayed at the Sheraton was that there was a special deal, which is a good job as I don't think this hotel is worth its usual asking price. I has high expectations as I had spent the previous 2 weeks at the Sheraton in Amman (which I would highly recommend) - this hotel sadly didn't achieve a favourable comparison.
The hotel is OK, but the rooms are a bit dated, especially the bathrooms. Our rate didn't include breakfast - this would have set us back a staggering £30 per person if we had booking including this), so I can't comment on the restaurant. Worth noting that if you do book here on a room only basis, the All Bar One literally just outside does a very good breakfast for under a tenner - even if the staff are a bit grumpy.
Staff were generally friendly and helpful, and the hotel was reasonable, just maybe not what you would expect from one of the top hotels in a prime location in the UK. Shouldn't they be trying to achieve the same standards in the UK as they do in the Middle East??? Not bad, just not outstanding.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Keef74
Surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

Weekend break booked through Lastminute.com, got it for a good price considering it was a 5* hotel, however, it was not what we would call 5*.

The hotel in general was very nice but dated, the staff were all very friendly even when you meet them in the lifts or hallways.

The room was not as we expected, it was a disabled room which wasnt a problem apart from the sink and mirrors were low so my v.tall boyfriend found it difficult to shave, the flooring was not clean and seemed unfinished.

We just felt that we got a half decent room (other rooms on different floors looked much better) in a nice hotel purely because we went through a "cheaper" company, I definately would not pay the £293 per night for what we got. I would say to stay here if you can get a good price, the location is great and the spa is very good

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank DGDV
Guildford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

My husband and I visit Edinburgh several times a year to see family. We nearly always stay at the Sheraton, and they nearly always have good price deals at weekends. This weekend we paid £100 per night for 2 nights.

There are 2 reasons why we nearly always go back - the beds are huge and extremely comfortable so we always get a good night's sleep - and the spa is very nice, although we only use the pool, which is included. The only reason we go elsewhere is if we can't get in for a reasonable price. But the rooms are beginning to date eg slightly tired decor, no flat screen TVs, etc.

We usually have room service breakfast, which is always good, but over-priced. The service can also be variable - we've learnt to always ask for anything we want eg honey to go with croissants etc. But we've experienced similar variable service at other expensive hotels across the (western) world.

We've enjoyed the Terrace restaurant many times, but be aware it's essentially a self-service carvery. This is great if you want a relaxed meal where no one hassles you, but not if you want something more formal, and Edinburgh offers plenty of other choice.

The bar area is great for lunch (at a price) and for the malt list. Personally I find the pianist quite annoying, but that's just personal taste.

Finally, the hotel is well located for the House of Fraser end of Princes Street.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TizzieUK
scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2009

This is my second stay at the hotel. Service was mixed. Gentleman on reception was cool while he changed our dinner reservation to the time we requested as this was incorrect. The buffet meal was fine for carnivores but I was offered a pasta dish as a vegetarian. It wasn't good .I was offered something else but declined. I was told I wouldn't be charged for the dish but our meal was included in our package. On arrival in the restaurant we were seated at a table without overhead lighting I couldn't see the wine list. I ponted this out and instead of reseating us the waiter offered to read the list to me!! Patronising in the extreme. I assured him I wished to read it myself and a man appeared with a ladder and redirected a light from another area. I was angry with this treatment . Breakfast was good although staff dour and mostly unsmiling. I stay in Edinburgh a lot . Much prefer the quality hotels The George. Glasshouse, Radisson and a few others less well starred. The room was adequate but not 5 star.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Newcastle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2009

A party of 4 (Two young coulpes) spent New Year at the Grand! Grand isnt really how i would describe it. The rooms are of fairly basic furnishing & fairly small. The Exchange Bar is loevly & won Whisky hotel of the year 2008...so if you like your Whisky & Cogniac then this place is ideal for you, however be sure to read the drinks price list as i ordered 2 double whisky's on ice & needed a mortgage to pay for it (believe it or not you can pay almost £150 per double)!!!!!!

The spa isnt all it's made up to be, first of all its above a multi storey car park & secondly only the main standard pool & jet baths are free. The spa pool will cost you £20 to enter every time regardless how long you stay in it!!

The location is a bit seedy ie; strippers etc but that didnt bother me too much :-).

Overall 6/10

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Stevotoon
Worcester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2009

This hotel is what you would expect from any large chain - clean comfortable rooms, not overly spacious but well decorated. Great shower! However, it is expensive (£150 ish per room per night, room only) and not worth this money. It's well presented but once you're inside the hotel, and particularly the rooms, you could be in any chain hotel, anywhere in the world. There is no character or wow factor, and I have stayed in many almost identical rooms for about half the cost. The only main thing going for this is the location - it is about a minute's walk from Princes Street so you're right in the heart of everything. The other thing worth mentioning is the Spa - it's got a nice pool and exceptional changing rooms - but despite the complex being within the hotel, it is very much designed for non-residents, with hotel residents having access to very limited facilities (think just the pool only but could be wrong!). You can pay to upgrade and use the jacuzzi, sauna etc, but this is about £30 each - another indication of the lack of value-for-money nature of the hotel. There is parking onsite which is charged at about £9 per day.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple