“Execellent spa - no biscuits”

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Wales, United Kingdom
“Execellent spa - no biscuits”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2005

Traditional hotel, starting to date but has a fantastic spa, for a five star hotel you would expect complimentary biscuits with the tea making facility in your room. We had to pay £1.75 for 2 busicuits which we felt was over the top. The service in the hotel was not great. (took 3 hrs to have a look at our broken T.V)

3 Thank gypsylady2015

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Surrey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2005

This is not a 5 star hotel. Even though the room had a nice castle view, it was cramped (and we had an upgrade!) and had a very uncomfortable bed. The bathroom is tiny although the shower was powerful. Room decor is very bland, reminiscent of a Holiday Inn. The Exchange bar is nice with great service and drinks. The staff, especially the bellhops, are pleasant. The public areas are fine but the rooms are not luxurious. Fortunately, I booked it on Priceline.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank Karen S
Catania Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2005

The reception staff was far from friendly. The room was big and with Castle view, but the shower did barely work and bathroom needed a new paint job. Location is great right in the city center and concierge is friendly and very helpfull. Breakfast is definetely over priced don´t go for it unless is included in your room rate.

• Stayed November 2005
2 Thank danda1st
Cardiff, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2005

I was very surprised to read some of the poor reviews. I stayed here for my 21st birthday weekend in 2001(and I was proposed to, as well!) I know this has put a biased slant on things, but I had an amazing time. Unless someone else had told them what a special weekend it was for me they upgraded us to the Lindsey suite for no reason! It was great- the bed is about 6ft wide and soooo comfy! It has two huge televisions and a massive dining table and sofas. We had a view of the castle and we ate in the hotel restaurant both nights as it was brilliant (The Grill I think). The breakfast was nice (and there was loads of it). The only negative thing was the staff at were reception looked bored to be there. Although the other staff were great- when I was proposed to, we recieved free champagne and chocolates. I didn't get to see the spa as I looked around the town instead- I cant wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2001
2 Thank EmmaPaulandOl
South Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2005

My husband & I stayed here while he was on a business trip to Edinburgh. The proximity to his company's Edinburgh office made it very convenient for him. It is also a good locale for sightseeing & some interesting shopping (it is just outside of Oldtown & very close to the castle). The hotel interior is lovely, room decor is in a Scottish theme (tartan), I never got to the spa as I spent any free time exploring the city. Staff was helpful, didn't have the king bed room available when we checked in, but readily moved us when one came open the second day (we packed & they moved our stuff while we were out). A plumbing problem left us with no hot water our last night, something was really wrong as a plumber in the hallway asked me if I had hotwater the next morning (which we did). This hotel is expensive but the co. travel office got a great rate there (150 pounds), If we'ld been paying the 350pounds that I've seen others quote I would have made sure that I used the complimentary spa offerings (great gym, pool) for guests. Skip breakfast unless it's included in your rate (very expensive), if you must have coffee first thing pop out to Starbucks just up Lothian Rd (1/2 block) before going off for the day.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank Peg P
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2005

My sister and I visited the hotel and spa only a few days ago and we could not fault any part of our visit. We were greeted in the early afternoon by staff who were only to happy to help and to make us feel at home.
Our main reason for visiting the hotel was to use the spa facilities and the staff at One Spa were, if possible, even more friendly. The receptionist happily took us on a tour of the building to make sure that we were comfortable and also to make sure that we had everything we needed to make our day as special as possible. The Spa itself is fantastic, exceeding our expectations tenfold. The highlight of the visit was sitting in the rooftop hydropool at eight o' clock in the evening looking up at the stars.
Every member of staff that we passed in the corridor had a smile and a greeting. The restaurant, bar and cafes were all of a high standard and the location of the hotel could not be better.
I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed October 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Europe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2005

My girlfriend and I stayed here courtesy of British Airways who had stranded us in Edinburgh at 1am on a Monday night. The room was spacious with good-quality fittings, but there was nothing remotely memorable or special about it. I cannot comment on the spa, as we didn't have time to use it. The location is good if you want to be central.

Overall, there's no chance I'd come back here unless someone else was paying again.

Stayed August 2004