“Honeymoon”

Ranked #15 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
A TripAdvisor Member
“Honeymoon”
Reviewed 3 January 2006

We have just come back from our three night honeymoon at the Sheraton Hotel and Spa in Edinburgh and it was beautiful. We were upgraded to a suite when we arrived, the staff were very friendly and helpful and the surroundings were perfect. The hotel looks modern from the outside but oozes traditional luxury inside. We visited the spa facilities on the second day and again we were very impressed. The outdoor hydropool is well worth a visit! The breakfast was gorgeous and all the waiting staff were brilliant. We will definately be going again.

• Stayed December 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, UK
Reviewed 19 December 2005

We stayed for 2 nights during December 2005, in a 'grand room with castle view'. Upon arrival at 5pm, our room was not ready. I don't know whether I have been unlucky, but, whenever I stay at Sheraton hotels, the rooms are never ready, regardless of the time of check-in!

Our room was on the third floor and overlooked the the front entrance of the hotel and Edinburgh Castle. Don't expect to get a full view of the castle, as the location of the hotel does not allow for this. The room was fairly large, and consisted of the usual dark wood furniture, it was clean and the bed large and comfortable. The bathroom let the room down, it was in need of a refit and was a little on the small side compared to the large bedroom area. There was a selection of sea kelp toiletries and complimentary bottled water in the bathroom.

The hotel has three restaurants, we ate in The Terrace on one of the nights. This restaurant is a buffet/carvery, where you help yourself to whatever you want for a set price.

We ate breakfast on both mornings in our room. Although the breakfasts are expensive, I have to compliment Sheraton on the service, range of food provided and the way it is presented. Breakfast comes wheeled in on its own trolley that opens up to a small round dining table. Whilst consuming cereal/fresh fruit, your cooked breakfast is being kept hot in the compartment in the trolley - nice touch. Recommended!

Didn't use the spa, so can't comment on that. The bar in the restaurant is nice and the staff are very friendly and helpful.

Overall, a nice hotel, good location as its only a short walk from Princes Street, the Royal Mile and the Castle. I don't know whether I would place it in the 5* category though.

• Stayed December 2005
7 Thank SJE1000
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2005

Traditional hotel, starting to date but has a fantastic spa, for a five star hotel you would expect complimentary biscuits with the tea making facility in your room. We had to pay £1.75 for 2 busicuits which we felt was over the top. The service in the hotel was not great. (took 3 hrs to have a look at our broken T.V)

3 Thank gypsylady2015
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2005

This is not a 5 star hotel. Even though the room had a nice castle view, it was cramped (and we had an upgrade!) and had a very uncomfortable bed. The bathroom is tiny although the shower was powerful. Room decor is very bland, reminiscent of a Holiday Inn. The Exchange bar is nice with great service and drinks. The staff, especially the bellhops, are pleasant. The public areas are fine but the rooms are not luxurious. Fortunately, I booked it on Priceline.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank Karen S
Catania Italy
Reviewed 12 November 2005

The reception staff was far from friendly. The room was big and with Castle view, but the shower did barely work and bathroom needed a new paint job. Location is great right in the city center and concierge is friendly and very helpfull. Breakfast is definetely over priced don´t go for it unless is included in your room rate.

• Stayed November 2005
2 Thank danda1st
Cardiff, UK
Reviewed 18 October 2005

I was very surprised to read some of the poor reviews. I stayed here for my 21st birthday weekend in 2001(and I was proposed to, as well!) I know this has put a biased slant on things, but I had an amazing time. Unless someone else had told them what a special weekend it was for me they upgraded us to the Lindsey suite for no reason! It was great- the bed is about 6ft wide and soooo comfy! It has two huge televisions and a massive dining table and sofas. We had a view of the castle and we ate in the hotel restaurant both nights as it was brilliant (The Grill I think). The breakfast was nice (and there was loads of it). The only negative thing was the staff at were reception looked bored to be there. Although the other staff were great- when I was proposed to, we recieved free champagne and chocolates. I didn't get to see the spa as I looked around the town instead- I cant wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2001
2 Thank EmmaPaulandOl
South Florida
Reviewed 10 October 2005

My husband & I stayed here while he was on a business trip to Edinburgh. The proximity to his company's Edinburgh office made it very convenient for him. It is also a good locale for sightseeing & some interesting shopping (it is just outside of Oldtown & very close to the castle). The hotel interior is lovely, room decor is in a Scottish theme (tartan), I never got to the spa as I spent any free time exploring the city. Staff was helpful, didn't have the king bed room available when we checked in, but readily moved us when one came open the second day (we packed & they moved our stuff while we were out). A plumbing problem left us with no hot water our last night, something was really wrong as a plumber in the hallway asked me if I had hotwater the next morning (which we did). This hotel is expensive but the co. travel office got a great rate there (150 pounds), If we'ld been paying the 350pounds that I've seen others quote I would have made sure that I used the complimentary spa offerings (great gym, pool) for guests. Skip breakfast unless it's included in your rate (very expensive), if you must have coffee first thing pop out to Starbucks just up Lothian Rd (1/2 block) before going off for the day.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business