“A five star - NO. A solid four star - YES”

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #18 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 19 January 2011

I just could not find the 5 star "wow" from this hotel. It's a great solid four star but just struggling to see the 5*.The rooms are on the smaller side (small windows with no particular view), but the bathroom is the central feature and is very nice, clean and modern. Too much effort however has gone to create "mood" lighting so you can change the colour backdrop to your bathroom - very "gimmicky" feature. Only very basic toiletries provided (less than most other mainstream four stars) and these were not replenished in my 2 night stay which was a surprise. The Water pressure for the shower and bath was very poor. The TV was over complicated to operate and channels were not in a logical order? e.g ITV1 or channel 17. No free WIFI in the hotel - £10 charge for rooms. Instead of using the lifts, the staircase has a tatty carpet and musty smell. Breakfast - very comprehensive and central location good.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your comments with the Trip Advisor community. I am sorry to read that we did not meet your expections, as that is our intention to every guest who stays with us. Your toiletries should have been replenished, so I apologise that this was not the case. Thank you for highlighting this and your comments have been passed to our Executive Housekeeper for review.
Our interactive HD TV system has been recently installed and you will be pleased to learn that we have addressed the running order of channels you have mentioned following feedback from our guests.
Thank you once again for taking the time to share your thoughts, we will act upon these immediately and ensure that other guests do not have a similar experience. I do hope your experience will not deter you from returning to the hotel as we would be delighted to have the chance to redeem ourselves and give you the ‘WOW’ factor that you would expect from a 5 star hotel.
JP Kavanagh

Write a ReviewReviews (3,006)

Reviewed 19 January 2011

Arrived late with a colleague who was allocated a room opposite mine. My key card didn't work so she allowed me to call down to reception from her room. Firstly the phones are difficult to use and there is no instruction, so I had to phone reception from my mobile. I requested that someone come to my room with a key card that worked rather than having to return to the reception desk with my luggage. This request was refused due to security!! When I did return to reception to get a key they were most apologetic as the call had been handled by an member of the office staff.
The rooms are newly refurbished but they just didn't work for me. The tele is a faff as I want to turn it on and be presented with a choice that is recognisable to me i.e. BBC1, BBC2, ITV etc in a logical order. This I am sure could be easily changed as the order they appear in very odd and you have to trawl through a huge menu to get a mainstream channel.
The rooms themselves though nice, didn't quite work for me. The bathroom isn't private which is fine for a lone traveller but not for everyone in a couple. The lights are difficult to manage with too many options. On the positive side the bed was very comfortable
The public areas are nice, breakfast was OK but standard buffet items rather than everything freshly cooked.
The location is good but 5 star it is not, there is just something missing.
So if you want a nice hotel in a central location, dont mind a glass walled bathroom and dont expect five star luxery and can negoitiate a four star price you will enjoy this hotel

P.S. Huge bug bear of mine, why charge £6 an hour for wi fi access from a bedroom, this should be complmentary for guests. If MacDonalds can provide it for free with a cup of coffee so can a 5 star hotel

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2011

I stayed here last weekend for my hen weekend which consisted of a very well behaved group of 8 looking for something relaxing in the city. We definitely found it here! The bedrooms have all just been refurbished and are amazing! To be honest, if I had spent most of the weekend in there I would have been happy.....
The best treat though was a morning in OneSpa which is attached to the hotel. We sat in the huge outdoor heated pool while the rain lashed down and the wind howled which was quite an experience and then retreated inside to the thermal suite to enjoy a series of hot and cold rooms such as saunas, steam rooms smelling of essential oils and some lovely heated stone beds to relax on. We all left very rosy cheeked and extremely relaxed.
The service from all the staff we encountered was fantastic and the chef even went to extra lengths to arrange gluten free muesli and toast at breakfast for two of our party with allergies. I would not hesitate to recommend the Sheraton for a weekend away. It is right in the city centre so you can walk everywhere and the bedrooms are now the best I have seen in the city. Thanks to all for making my weekend so memorable!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us and delighted that you took the time and made full use of One Spa. It is a great way to spend time and feel relaxed and refreshed.
I am also glad that you made us aware of the special dietary requirements, our Executive Chef and his team are always delighted to accommodate for such requirements; they just need to be made aware so that it gives them time to prepare.
Thank you once again and I do hope it won’t be long before we can welcome you back to the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, as a very warm welcome awaits you.

Reviewed 17 January 2011

Stayed at the Sheraton for 3 nights for a post christmas break. Beautiful hotel, lovely rooms and the spa is amazing. But.............on check-in the hotel took £50 pre-authorisation from my account for any room charges, damages etc. Its now 12 days and 4 phone calls since i checked out and the hotel still have yet to release the £50 back in to my account, even though i paid cash for all items. Its taken the nice gloss of what was a fantastic trip but i might be looking towards the Balmoral or Scotsman for my next trip to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your comments onto Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you overall you enjoyed your stay, however am sorry that you have had this situation with the pre-authorization with your card.
Allow me to clarify for you, as a standard procedure within most properties they will need to obtain some form of credit in way of a pre authorization from all guests. This pre-authorization is merely holding the funds and after your departure it is your bank or credit card company that can take a number of days to release the funds back to your account.
I am very sorry that this shadowed what sounded a good weekend, and we would love to be able to welcome you back the next time you are in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 16 January 2011

Overall a lovely hotel with excellent facilities and in a great Location.

We stayed for one night in a king room, the bedroom itself was lovely although we did have some concerns.
The water pressure was extremely poor, this made it quite difficult to run a bath and as there was no bath salts or bubble bath this made it even more difficult.
Entertainment system within the room is quite slow and the radio kept cutting out, never had to pay 95p for the use of a radio before.
Overnight parking was £9 despite being told it was free of charge at the time of booking.

Apart from these minor issues the hotel is lovely and i would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2011

The Sheraton Grand Hotel was fantastic. We stayed there for 2 nights in December having stayed their on many occasions previously it was great to see the new room's which look fabulous. Service was attentive and charming throughout the hotel with a fantastic Concierge team who could not do enough to help.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments that you have shared with all Trip Advisor viewers. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and like our new room product. It’s always heartwarming to receive comments about the service and associates, and I will of course pass this onto the team here.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Edinburgh very soon.
Kind regards.

Reviewed 11 January 2011

Booked for wedding anniversary in middle of snow and freezing conditions. The Club room was well worth it as you got the free access to the One Spa and access to the Club Lounge. The Spa was fantastic and so relaxing . All the hotel staff couldn't do enough for us especially Pikwan? in the club lounge. Really glad we chose this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2011

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your fantastic comments. It is great to learn the snow did not upset your travel plans and I am equally delighted to read that you choose the hotel to celebrate your wedding anniversary.
We are very proud of our new rooms and indeed the Club Rooms are a great addition to the variety of rooms we now have at the hotel. As you mentioned, Club Room guests benefit from access to our new Club Lounge that offers continental breakfast, snacks throughout the day, evening canapés, drinks and ‘Escape at One’ access at One Spa. So I do agree it is well worth it.
Of course all our great facilities would be nothing without the team. As with all my team, Pikwa does an excellent job and she will be delighted to learn of this great feedback – thank you for sharing it on TripAdvisor.
I hope it won’t be too long before you return to Edinburgh, we’d love to see you again.