“Great hotel, nice location but lacking some basics” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Toronto
“Great hotel, nice location but lacking some basics”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2011

I'm a bit dated on this review since I stayed back in December but I wanted to post about the hotel.

Location was it is a 5 min walk to the eastern side of Princess St.

The hotel had a very unique feel to it. The rooms were quite nice with hardwood floors and a spa like bathroom with both a tub an stand up shower. I quite enjoyed how you could change the colour of the light in the bathroom

The service is what I would expect from a Sheraton with courteous and well informed staff. However there are a few things lacking that i should point out.

- No ice machines, at all, yes there is a mini fridge in each room but ours was not working temporarily
- No free internet, I could not believe that they were charging about 5 pounds for 20mins of internet. With the prices of the rooms internet should be free, and why is you have to buy cards to access the internet?
- Breakfast buffet a bit overpriced. I know this is a hotel but the buffet was a bit overpriced.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your stay with us in December. I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and have shared your comments with the team here for review.
Thank you once again and I hope that we can welcome you back to the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa when you are next in Edinburgh.
JP Kavanagh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
ginagspot
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

stayed for 2 nights starting 4th march. room was amazing, bathroom had wow factor an the bed as so comfy didnt want to get out it. very elegant throughout. staff were very friendly and the spa facilities. an outdoor hydro pool , roof top swimming pool and the range of spa treatments were extensive. we spent one full day using them and topped it off with a relaxing massage. please go here as you will not be disappointed. top marks to the sheraton.

Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us recently and would like to thank you sincerely for the positive comments you have shared. I am also delighted that you managed to spend time at One Spa and I am sure that you left feeling relaxed and revitalized.
Thank you once again for your comments that have been shared with the team here, I am truly grateful.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa in the very near future.
armagh northern ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2011

i stayed here for 2 nights on a rugby weekend and really enjoyed this hotel. staff were very friendly and the bar was lively . breakfast was very good and rooms were large , modern and very clean. i didnt like the bathroom but maybe just personal taste. we had bar snacks as we had dinner booked in town both nights but food in the hotel was simply excellent. overall an excellent hotel.

Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your experiences when in Edinburgh last month with the trip advisor community. I am delighted to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed some of our facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

Since our last stay the rooms in this hotel have been gutted and re-done and they're of a very high quality. We're Platinum SPG and got upgraded to a room facing the castle and it was just lovely. Unfortunately we were only there for about 8 hours and didn't get the chance to use any of the facilities that were explained to us by fantastic and knowledgeable check-in staff.

The only downside, and it seems to be getting more and more common, is that the great new bathroom has obviously been designed by someone who's never stayed in a hotel before. The light switches are not in the bathroom or outside the bathroom doors. They are hopelessly over-designed and placed by the bedside table. Also, the bathroom wall closest to the bed is frosted glass so if someone goes to the bathroom at night they have to first fumble around in the dark to find the light switches, figure out how to turn them on, and then the light that shines through the bathroom wall wakes up the other person in the room. The bathroom itself is lovely, and you'll be fine if you stay there on your own.

Bonkers bathrooms aside, it's a great hotel in a great location and we plan to be back in April and enjoy more of the facilities. The spa looks fabulous!

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that we were able to upgrade you to one of our Castle facing suites, but sorry to hear that you were only here for a short period of time.
I’m glad to read that you are planning a trip to Edinburgh again next month and look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa then.
Cremieu, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

From arrival to departure we couldn't fault the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa. I do hope the staff are paid well for the 5 star service we received, they are a credit to the hotel and its name. We stayed in a recently refurbished room, which was divine...the bed was so comfortable, if it wasn't for the fact that Edinburgh is so culturally rich and diverse, I'd have stayed in the bed for the whole weekend! All in all, everything you'd need for a relaxing city break is right here.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 February 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent trip to Edinburgh and your stay with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your weekend and I have certainly passed on this encouraging feedback to the team here. I agree with you that our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds, which are in all of our bedrooms, are extremely comfortable.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Grand in the very near future.
Petersfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2011

Rooms are exactly like the pictures on the website. Bathrooms are lovely but shower pressure a bit of a disappointment. Staff very polite and helpful. Breakfast-choice great and quality good. Spa is fab - great thermal suite and wonderful rooftop hydro pool. Again it is just like the photos on the website. Location - 5 minute walk from city centre.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 February 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments from your stay with us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed on your comments regarding the water pressure to my team to investigate. We look forward to welcoming you back when next in Edinburgh.
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

I stayed here with my partner on Christmas Eve and splashed out on a club room. The entire experience from start to finish was amazing, from the friendly and professional reception staff, one spa (inclusive in our room price), the standard of the room and the facilities it offered.

My favourite part of the stay was relaxing in the club lounge prior to going out for dinner. The canapes were amazing, and I could have eaten my fill there! We were also treated with complimentary prosecco (it being Christmas). Upon finding out it was my partner's birthday the very lovely staff member (apologies for not remembering her name!) had chocolates left for him in our room when we returned from our post meal cocktails, which were served in the hotel bar by the smiliest waiter ever.

The continental breakfast was amazing (again, served with Christmas Prosecco!) and the efficient check out was accompanied with a festive smile.

I only wish we could have stayed longer. It was the best hotel experience I've ever had.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your very positive comments regarding your stay with us over the festive period. I am pleased that you enjoyed all of the facilities that our Club Package has to offer, and I agree that our Chef’s canapés are great. I will certainly pass on your comments to the team here who will be encouraged by your kind words.
Thank you again for taking the time to send in your comments as it is only through constructive feedback from our customers we are able to maintain the highest of standards. Customer care is the cornerstone of our business and every customer is important to us.
I do hope that you don’t wait until next Christmas to visit, we look forward to welcoming you both back soon.
Warm regards