“Imaginative, thrilling and thought-provoking”
Review of Dynamic Earth

Ranked #36 of 411 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A visit to Dynamic Earth is like nothing else on Earth. It's a chance to experience the primeval forces of nature as they shaped our planet, to journey through space and time and even go on a 4DVENTURE around the world. You'll be embarking on the interactive adventure of a lifetime - the lifetime of our planet. As if this wasn't enough, Dynamic Earth is home to Scotland's only 360 degree full dome film theatre. We have a variety of films showing throughout the year.
Warwick, England, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Imaginative, thrilling and thought-provoking”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This was an awe-inspiring experience, a multi-media presentation of the history of the Universe from the Big Bang through to our present human civilisation, engaging us on every level.

We particularly enjoyed the notice on the wall just before we entered the exhibition: "This is your last opportunity to use the toilet for the next 450 million years. Enjoy your trip."

Throughout the journey, we felt not only informed about astrophysics and geology but also emotionally caught up and personally involved in the story that was being told. Our tour ended with a film about super volcanoes in the Dome Theatre, narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch. It culminated with glorious aerial footage over Yellowstone Park (which, we were told, is overdue for a super volcano eruption). The big question we were left with was: When the next cataclysmic event occurs, will we be destroyed, or adapt and survive?

With this in mind, coming out into the shop is like a major cultural shift! Is it really worth buying The Tardis cushion, in the great scheme of things? But with such a high quality array of time and universe related products for sale, I'm sure the shop has no problem in thriving despite questions like this!

1 Thank SCSkillman

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Brilliant day out”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Visited with my son during the school holidays and renewed our Annual Explorer passes. The new entrance exhibit is good if slightly over the head of my six year old but he enjoyed it nonetheless. Time machine still a favourite and I really enjoyed the new 'big bang' gallery. We always have a great time at Dynamic Earth and despite being the middle of the school holidays it didn't feel too busy nor was there a queue. Friendly staff and loads of hands-on bits mean we always find something new. The new Supervolcanoes Dome Show film was fantastic and my son especially enjoyed seeing the dinosaur models in the entrance lobby too. A great fun and educational afternoon as always!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Brilliant for everyone”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I visited My Dynamic Earth with my daughter, son in law, his mum and my grandson and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our visit. The special effects are spectacular, the whole experience not only enjoyable but educational (even for the adults) and the staff are a credit to the organisation - helpful, friendly and engaged, They all seemed as if they thoroughly enjoyed their jobs, which is refreshing in this day and age. Even the cafeteria was great value for money. I would recommend a visit here to anyone, and will certainly be repeating my visit as soon as possible.

1 Thank Boncie1
Glasgow, United Kingdom
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Fun and great for kids!”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I was here with a group of school aged kids and staff who all enjoyed this attraction. There is lots to see and experience.

Visited March 2014
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great place to visit”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my experience here. Though I had to miss out one of the zones due to suffering motion sickness. I found the rest was very enjoyable and it would be great for kids and adults alike. The cafe on site was really nice, though could of been more selections available.