“Fun intro to scotch whiskey”

The Scotch Whisky Experience
Book In Advance
More Info
US$22.00*
and up
Guided Silver Whisky Tour of Edinburgh's Scotch...
Ranked #38 of 433 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Take a barrel ride as you actually become part of the whisky making process. Experience for yourself our regional whiskies and whether you like fruity, sweet or smoky flavours our experts will help you select your perfect dram.Enter the vault containing the world's largest collection of Scotch Whiskies and enjoy a special tutored nosing and tasting. Explore Scotland's whisky history from the very beginnings through to the global success of today.
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

This is an old school house converted into the scotch whiskey experience. We did the silver package.

There is a cheesy but fun barrel ride audio-video show. Then you go to a room with a presenter who teaches abt regions of scotch. You get to try scotch tasting. Then they show you an awesome scotch collection. Later you can but scotch from the bar ( actually pretty cheap).

Write a ReviewReviews (4,999)
All reviews
"amber restaurant"
in 71 reviews
"sniff cards"
in 60 reviews
"largest collection of whisky"
in 46 reviews
in 57 reviews
"impressive collection"
in 40 reviews

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I went for the silver whisky tour with my boyfriend. The barrel tour was fun and informative. This was followed by a tasting in a cool room where we were told about the different types of Scottish whisky. Our tour guide Hannah was really enthusiastic and friendly, and the whisky collection is worth seeing alone! Brilliant. Great value for money and you get to keep the tasting glass too ! :)

Reviewed 4 June 2014

So who would go to Scotland and not want to try some local whisky?!
I don’t even like whisky but had to experience this tour after hearing such good things. My fiancé is a whisky drinker so we decided to go on the Platinum tour. The staff were so friendly and informative, I can’t remember the guys names now but there was a welsh guy helping out who was really nice to talk too as well as the bald man who was running the tour.

The tour started with us getting into a barrel shaped cart and was taken along the story of how whisky starts. You’re then led into a room where you try some whiskies.

The best part of the tour is going into the room that’s full from the ceiling to the floor with whisky. It was pretty impressive,

I really did enjoy the tour it was the right amount of information and still kept fun.
We left with our own little goodie bag too with a miniature whisky and glass and a certificate and map of the different distilleries.

Its practically outside the Edinburgh castle so easy to find, I would definatly recommend this tour if you have a few hours spare.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The tour started out with a ride, which was kind of cheesy, but the tour included lots of information regarding the production process, as well as how the different regions affect the overall flavor of scotch. Then we got to sample a scotch from one of the regions, and moved into the very impressive collection of scotches from around the world. Because Scotland was not our final destination before heading home, we cant't get any whiskey from here, but they do sell the small bottles which can fit into the quart size bags. The young gentleman who helped us pick out our bottles was very cheerful and informative, and truly made the experience for us. If you don't know anything about scotch/whiskey, I highly recommend this tour!

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Although I don't drink whisky, I took this tour as much for education as anything. The barrel ride was fun, if a little corny. However, the information given by the staff was interesting & enlightening. The scratch & sniff cards were a good idea, and I chose my whisky tasting based on this. I actually found that I enjoyed it. Maybe I've been trying the wrong whiskys all these years, as I have never been able to enjoy it before - result!! Nice glass to keep, and a discount off a gift pack from the shop which I had intended to buy for a friend in any case. A very enjoyable experience.