“Worth a visit...atleast once”
Review of Jenners

Jenners
Ranked #108 of 405 things to do in Edinburgh
Scotand, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 149 helpful votes
“Worth a visit...atleast once”
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Typical department store. My main complaint is that the layout was very confusing, especially for the first time visitor, with signage at time ambiguous. Items in the homeware department were of excellent quality, but over priced. I would recommend this store for it's excellent prominent location on Princes Street and it's wide array of items for every purpose and the sheer abundance of brands. Found staff to be non-pushy and generally quite helpful. Jenner's was sold to House of Fraser in 2005, and have spent millions of pounds in improving the look of the store over the last few years or so. Ididn't visit the store before it was sold, hence I cannot comment if it still retains the same original Jenner's sense of identity.

Visited September 2011

• Greek first
Edinburgh
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Not the same”
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Service has gone downhill, not the same any more, overpriced department store

Visited September 2011
3 Thank Jack D
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Poor beauty salon followed by poor customer service”
Reviewed 6 March 2011

I booked into the beauty salon for a pedicure. The salon looked really tired, but I generally feel that if the treatments are great this can be overlooked. Unfortunately this was not the case here. The pedicure was pretty basic - no foot scrub or pumicing or anything. In fact after the nails were shaped I saw the therapist fill up a tatty old foot bath (the kind you would have at home from Argos or something) from a kettle and then as I was sitting up on a massage bed I had to strain my feet and legs over the edge of the footbath - this was uncomfy and allowed me to see just how scabby this footbath really was! This was the bulk of the pedicure - me sitting with my feet in this thing. Next she asked what kind of colours and went away for quite a while to get some choices. I really prefer when I get to choose from the full range on the stand. Anyway, I didn't speak up and so I just selected from the 6 or 7 she brought through. The polish went on pretty thick as I think is often the case when salons try to make the bottles last too long. After it was finished I waited with my friend in the lounge area which was fine. However, during this time, my therapist (who appeared to be a manager of some sort) and another member of staff proceeded to moan about a colleague as they tidied up (to the extent that my friend and I stopped talking and cringed at one another). This is just so unprofessional and does not create a relaxing atmosphere. After about 20 mins the store was closing and my therapist came over to suggest that we headed off. I said I thought that the polish was so thick it wouldn't be dry but her exact words after touching it were 'they are absolutely fine'. Needless to say, by the time I reached the street the polish was off in huge lumps and all over the insides of the pumps I was wearing. I was understandably annoyed as this is the entire pedicure down the drain and at 6 months pregnant, the struggle in painting my toe nails was the reason I was treating myself in the first place. However, the place was now closed so there was nothing I could do. I have e-mailed Jenners main customer service and the salon, neither or whom have bothered to give me any response whatsoever. I feel really really annoyed about this. Firstly, they should not book pedicures so close to closing if they cannot allow customers to remain long enough to ensure they are not ruined within minutes. Secondly the surroundings and staff at the salon need a drastic overhaul. Thirdly I would have expected at least an acknowledgement from Jenners. Please don't waste your money getting any treatments here - there are so many better salons in central Edinburgh.

Visited March 2011
16 Thank jm1983rev
Coupar Angus, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“One of Edinburgh's great treasures? alas no more.”
Reviewed 28 January 2011

Years ago I was brought to Jenner’s as a child for Christmas shopping, the magic of the Christmas department, the warmth of the toy department and the overall experience meant Christmas was coming......well I felt like I had just been told Santa wasn’t real, and for good measure Bambi’s mother wasn’t really sleeping. What a disappointment! The lifts were grubby, carpets worn, was pounced on by over enthusiastic sales people with their wolves in sheep’s clothing smiles and to top it off find out it is owned by a chain!!!! No longer Jenner’s department store but part of House of Frasier! Where has the warmth and pride gone?! The Chairman’s pockets no doubt because it hasn’t been used to keep this once fine establishment in the manner its past is accustomed to.

Visited December 2010
6 Thank pitstopP
Sussex, New jersey
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“Overpriced Department Store”
Reviewed 13 August 2010

This is not a Harrods but drop in to say you were there.