“Totally lived up to its reputation!”

The Witchery by the Castle
Ranked #30 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Sandbach, United Kingdom
“Totally lived up to its reputation!”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

This was a real treat as a great eating experience, from the unique environment through the wonderful food and wine, to the great service. It isnt cheap, but as a venue for a special celebration its well worthwhile.
We booked in the Secret Garden, and the welcome on arrival was warm and friendly. The menu is varied, although quite meat orientated (worth checking out the menus online). I had an individual haggis for starter (excellent), and for main we shared a lamb encroute. This was beautifully cooked and presented, with great flavour and texture. For dessert we shared a selection plate..again all the dishes were exceptionally tasty and imaginative. To round this off, you can choose from a wine list running to 75 pages! Our waiter was knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and quickly helped with an excellent recommendation.
Overall the waiting on team were very good, unobtrusive but very attentive, and keen to help our group enjoy the evening.
Overall then, highly recommended and look forward to returning again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Petenac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the Vestry room. Lived up to my expectations. Loved the decor and service was exceptional. Would definitely stay here again. Good for couples and singles but don't think would be ideal for families/kids

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MirandaPG
Cockermouth
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The Witchery has not one, but two, super restaurants. The Garden room is light and airy whereas the other restaurant is gothic and wonderfully atmospheric. The great news us that both serve super food with great service. For a real treat stay a few nights in one of the utterly individual, luxurious bedroom suites. A wonderful place!

• Stayed April 2014
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is magical. I personally felt the service was lovely.
We had a very welcoming suited who I assume was the manager. Very chatty and friendly and the staff all wanted to help throughout the evening.
The food was lovely and even though people have said this restaurant is pricey it's one of the best restaurants in Edinburgh so it's kind of expected. I had a lobster soup for starter and the salmon for dinner and it was really tasty and filling. The wine was nice, some worth hundreds of pounds but also a bottle for £22 which suited me. The wine was called the Oppprtunist and tasted great.
Anyway, the magical part, the place is just so romantic. The cosy restaurant with stunning presentation. I sat feeling like the luckiest girl in the world here because it was a beautiful experience. You should go and have your own experience here because I found the restaurant and it's decor really magical. I want to go back now !

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarahreeves57
middlesex
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

My family and I went came here for lunch after a morning visiting the nearby castle.

Although we did not have a booking, we were quickly seated.

My son and I ordered the sea food platter. My husband ordered the veal dish which was a special for the day.

We had to wait quite a while for our meal at least 40 minutes - which is a long time especially as we didn't have starters.

I asked our waiter ( an American girl) how long the food would take and she was very rude. Her response was - " it takes as long as it takes" which I thought was very rude!!!

When the food finally came out it was very nice. My husband thought his dish was amazing.

My sea food platter was nice but I would suggest that the prawns are slightly deshelled. There was no finger bowl provided and peeling the prawns is very dirty work. Everything else tasted very nice.

I didn't know that this was a famous restaurant or celebrities often go here. We chose it as it was close to the castle and had a lovely entrance.

Although expensive a nice restaurant with tasty food!!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank lawyergirlMiddlesex
Glasgow
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband and I had an overnight in the Turret which exceeded our expectations..certainly has raised the bar now for any other hotels..not sure they'll be up there.

Very luxurious treat and agree with other reviewers that the breakfast hamper in the room was a relaxing start to the morning with the 12 noon check out.

We didn't eat in the restaurant since felt the reviews were a bit hit and miss but can say the atmosphere and décor looked amazing

We also booked the gold tour at the Mary Kings Close which was excellent too......

Hope to get back to the witchery at some again...better get saving!!!

Room Tip: The Turret had beautiful views out to the Forth