“BIRTHDAY TREAT”

The Witchery by the Castle
Ranked #30 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband took me here for my birthday. It was fantastic, the service was amazing the whole experience was out of this world. It was like going back in time. The suite made me cry it was so beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank angiepangie63

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Treated my Fiancé to the night down in the Library room. Was a mindblowing evening. Such a nice room and the bed was fantastic.

So nice to have something far superior for the evening. Thoroughly recommend this for a special event or a romantic weekend.

The double ended bath wasn't quite as large as I'd hoped, but was deep enough to have a good soak. The room even comes with a kitchen, so we could store foodstuffs and drinks. The only thing missing was a roaring fire.

Room Tip: The Library is slightly smaller than the Armoury, which is downstairs. But was more my style.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My wife and I have this firmly on our 'special occassion' place to go. It isn't actually that expensive owing to the generous portions you get. Don't get me wrong....its not cheap, but its not silly money. We just want to keep it an occassional place so as we cherish every minute of the ambiance, service and food. We dined in the Secret Garden for the first time and had a lovely seat by the window. As darkness fell, the restaurant was transformed back in time as the staff lit the candles and the experience changed immediately. Tremendous place to dine for couples or good friends. We always go for the steak. We preferred the Sirloin when it was on the menu as opposed to the filet, but by no means is this a complaint, just a personal choice.

Service was perfect as always.

Already planning our next meal in a few months.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KwaiLaw
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This was a real treat as a great eating experience, from the unique environment through the wonderful food and wine, to the great service. It isnt cheap, but as a venue for a special celebration its well worthwhile.
We booked in the Secret Garden, and the welcome on arrival was warm and friendly. The menu is varied, although quite meat orientated (worth checking out the menus online). I had an individual haggis for starter (excellent), and for main we shared a lamb encroute. This was beautifully cooked and presented, with great flavour and texture. For dessert we shared a selection plate..again all the dishes were exceptionally tasty and imaginative. To round this off, you can choose from a wine list running to 75 pages! Our waiter was knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and quickly helped with an excellent recommendation.
Overall the waiting on team were very good, unobtrusive but very attentive, and keen to help our group enjoy the evening.
Overall then, highly recommended and look forward to returning again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Petenac
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed in the Vestry room. Lived up to my expectations. Loved the decor and service was exceptional. Would definitely stay here again. Good for couples and singles but don't think would be ideal for families/kids

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MirandaPG
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The Witchery has not one, but two, super restaurants. The Garden room is light and airy whereas the other restaurant is gothic and wonderfully atmospheric. The great news us that both serve super food with great service. For a real treat stay a few nights in one of the utterly individual, luxurious bedroom suites. A wonderful place!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is magical. I personally felt the service was lovely.
We had a very welcoming suited who I assume was the manager. Very chatty and friendly and the staff all wanted to help throughout the evening.
The food was lovely and even though people have said this restaurant is pricey it's one of the best restaurants in Edinburgh so it's kind of expected. I had a lobster soup for starter and the salmon for dinner and it was really tasty and filling. The wine was nice, some worth hundreds of pounds but also a bottle for £22 which suited me. The wine was called the Oppprtunist and tasted great.
Anyway, the magical part, the place is just so romantic. The cosy restaurant with stunning presentation. I sat feeling like the luckiest girl in the world here because it was a beautiful experience. You should go and have your own experience here because I found the restaurant and it's decor really magical. I want to go back now !

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple