“Bewitched”

Ranked #33 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
wolverhampton
“Bewitched”
Reviewed 23 March 2009

It would be easy for me to criticise those who have left disparaging remarks or cast negative views about the Witchery. I shall not , not because I dont want to but perhaps the Witchery is only there for we special people, people who appreciate and love it, people who view it as a treat and see the love that has been laboured upon it. People who have become part of its history just by staying there. The Witchery is magical, it is special and loving and kind and dark and mysterious and seductive. It is Narnia through the wardrobe only better.

On with the show...
We stayed in The Old Rectory and Margaret showed us to our room, she was lovely and more importantly she was proud to show us the room. Margaret didnt seem at all surprised when I had an "emotional moment" when she opened the door to our room. The Old Rectory is so beautiful and the pictures dont do it justice as it is far more opulent and mysterious than shown. The room if i can call it that is just enormous, a reception area with a huge day bed and tea and coffee etc greeted us and then lead to a sitting area where we had our breakfast. The room has so many things to look at i wandered for a good hour just examining all the hidden delights. The bed is huge and faces the windows out of which you can see the sea. I can't say (like others) that i was disturbed by traffic or people passing as there was only a little noise and it was enjoyable to people watch out of the window.
The bathroom is without doubt the most remarkable room I have ever seen. The bath is roll top and has space for two. The ceiling is beautiful and hand painted with angels paying homage to the wonder of Scottish history. The mirrors are amazing and play tricks with your imagination. I didnt notice the sink for a while as i though it was a reflection from somewhere!

The final act...
We ate in the Secret Garden, it is beautiful, like we imagined it would be. The food was marvellous and the staff were wonderful. Yes the reception is at the top of that stairs - SO WHAT. If you want a nice symmetical spacious boring layout then please go away and stay somewhere else. The Witchery is a maze of excitement, interest and secrecy. To stay there is a dream and to eat there is a marvel. It is truly bewitching. Inside every door you find something new. The staff are lovely, kind and thoughtful people and the atmosphere is one of wonder.

Without doubt, the stay of a lifetime.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stingraysister

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 13 March 2009

Wanted to surprise partner on a BIG birthday and, as we live in Edinburgh, we were aware of these apartments but never stayed. I had looked at Trip A and it seemed that the most popular was Old Rectory so, fingers crossed, booked it for last Wednesday night. When we arrived, the guy (lovely Roxy) opens the door and you just go "WOW" its a huge room and it really is OPULENT beyond belief. The bed is fab, not hard at all as some reviews had given it. All the soft furnishings are still top notch (I thought they might be a little worn as this room is SO popular (when you check out the visitor's book, its hardly ever free). Bathroom is FAB, so of course we enjoyed a lovely long soak. Tiny bit disappointed with the fruit for breakfast, could have been a little more adventurous given the cost of the room. All in all I would thoroughly recommend this for a SPECIAL night of passion.........!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Glasgow
Reviewed 12 March 2009

My husband and I had a fabulous weekend at The Witchery in Fen 09. We spent a night in The Vestry Suite and had dinner in The Witchery restaurant. What a place.. I can't think of nowhere better for utterly foccusing on each other and on romance. The location, right next to the Castle, is so atmospheric. Our suite was gorgeous - so full of character and we felt completely removed from the cares of the world as we enjoyed champagne in the middle of the afternoon whilst soaking in the huge bath. Dinner in the restaurant was great - yes, a tad overpriced but great food and very professional service. Can't wait to go back and try another suite.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
London, England
Reviewed 4 March 2009

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Witchery in the summer of 2008...We stayed in the Inner Sactum suite...The hotel is in a great location, right on the Royal Mile, just below the Edinburgh Castle...Our room was decorated in a gothic fashion with all sorts of interesting detail...We felt like we were staying in a gothic castle...The service was excellent and the staff was very helpful...The restaurant, although very highly regarded, was good (not great)...We did eat at Martin Wishart which was very good and probably deserving of two Michelin Stars (has one already) and definitely worth a trip.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
glasgow
Reviewed 23 February 2009

Yes, it really is!. We love this place.We have been fortunate enough to stay here a few times. Not cheap... £295 may not be a lot for some people but it is for us...however I would go without eating to make our annual trip here, it's sooo worth it. The place to be to totally concentrate on your loved one. Romantic, sexy, intimate, it's all these things and more. I agree if you look hard enough there's flaws but as I said you really should be focused on other things. I'm not going to mention my favourite suite, cos it's mine!! but I would say to try one of the suites once... I'm sure you'll be back for seconds.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Nottinghamshire, UK
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Wow! Absolutely and unarguably magical! Simply the best 12 hours spent anywhere! Married at The Hub over the road and then walked across the cobbled Royal Mile after midnight to our suite which was down Jollie's Close and up the winding turn-pike staircase. A huge suite with no less than five rooms plus a beautiful private corridor. A wonderful entrance hall with cookies, champagne and other treats. A gorgeous private dining room complete with fireplace and mini xmas tree. A beautiful bathroom with Molten Brown products and the four poster bedroom with chocolates, his and hers slippers and a hidden tv! We didn't even find the hidden kitchen until a few hours had passed.

This is a suite worth every penny - for it's luxury, magic, history, vibe and sheer experience! We arrived at midnight on the night of our wedding and left at midday on on our way to our honeymoon in new york - simply the best experience and a fantastic way to start our married life together! We will be back - after all there are 6 other suites for us to try...

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank psarah
North Lanarkshire
Reviewed 29 January 2009

My husband and I are preparing to stay in The Witchery for the 4th year running, this Feb. Our plan is to stay at all the suites, and I am still as excited visiting for the 4th time as I was when we stayed for the first time. Our first suite was the Vestry suite, which we now realise is smaller than other suites such as the Inner Sanctum. However some suites have more pluses than other suites, but no minuses. Some suites have more areas within them, but don't have kitchen facilities. All suites are extremely decadant, but the ambiance may be spoilt when you hear pots and pans clattering in the kitchen! The point I am making is that of the 3 suites we have stayed in so far all are similar in that they are opulant, decadent and hugely romantic, but their individual differences make it exciting being taken into a new suite for the first time!
I think everyone should stay in one of the suites at least once in their lifetime! It is shear escapism and better for the soul that a spa or chicken soup!

• Liked — ambiance
  • Disliked — loved everything
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple