“never disappointed”

Ranked #31 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
edinburgh
“never disappointed”
Reviewed 20 August 2009

this was my fourth trip to The Witchery for dinner- twice in main restaurant and twice in Secret Garden. On each occasion, food has been amazing- varied menu, excellent wine list and desserts to die for. Friendly if slightly distant staff, amazing surroundings and a sense that you are experiencing something unique
Cant wait to return

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gaytraveller43

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Turkish first
uk
Reviewed 15 August 2009

what a shame. great ambience, location ,but for the hundred pound i spent all i got was a good wine , we had 30 pound menu, they didnt have one starter, was offered spaghetti ? the steak was tough and undercooked i didnt have a steak knife , and the few chips that came with it were a small consolation as a chef myself i dont like eating out in scotland as it usually ends in disappointment . i headed off to burger king for some value for money. this restaurant has three menus , trying to capture everyone i would come back for a bottle of wine, and a great time in edinburgh

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Derbyshire
Reviewed 11 August 2009

stayed for two nights but had to change rooms for the second night no problem they did it all for us. Have stayed in hotels all over England and the world but there is something special to this place. First night in the inner sanctum second across the road. Inner sanctum is a magical experience the room across the road very different but also very special even without DAN BROWN's signature on the floor

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DebMarkDerbyshire
Connecticut
Reviewed 10 August 2009

My husband and I went on our honeymoon to Scotland and seeing as we couldn't afford to stay IN the Witchery (hotel), we decided to eat in the Secret Garden instead. I was looking forward to the meal, but was extremely disappointed. The Secret Garden is a beautiful restaurant lit by candlelight, but I found the rest of the atmosphere a bit pretentious. Yes, it is very fancy, and yes, it is very pricey, but you would think that the food and service would live up to that-not so. They do have an extensive wine list, which is nice. We were served bread, 3 different choices. We ordered from 30 pound list which included an appetizer, entree, and dessert. We figured this would be our best option as the separate entrees were close to 30 pounds each. Our appetizers were good, a salad and haggis. For the entree, we both ordered some kind of beef/steak. It was so fatty and gristly that you could barely cut it with a steak knife let alone chew it. It came with some kind of clover looking greens, which were very bitter. It did come with one other vegetable, which I cannot remember. The dessert was o.k. It was a honey flavored puree, but was on a cracker/biscuit that tasted like cardboard. We were not the only ones having a disappointing meal. The woman next to me complained to the waiter that her soup had no flavor to it. The staff was fairly attentive but seemed too "uptight." For 100 pounds, this meal was such a let down. I would tell people to go eat elsewhere. We had much better food at the pubs in town.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rudiegrl19
midwest
Reviewed 6 August 2009

I was unable to book a time for dinner, but I was determined that I'd dine at The Witchery!
Being at Edinburgh Castle one day, I saw that The Witchery had a 3 course price fixe luncheon for 12.95 Sterling. I made a reservation for that afternoon.

I was shown to a table in the garden room, the part of the restaurant down the stairs from the reservation desk.

The meal was:

a green soup--I think it was basil and onion (?) --pretty good

a salmon "pie"-- mediocre--made from what we'd call Puff Pastry in the States--and it wasn't a cohesive whole, the thing didn't hold together.

a dessert -- can't remember it so that was probably not tops, either.

But I do remember that the bread offering, brought to the table by a server and offered a variety of choice, was quite good and plentiful. I chose a glass of Cabernet that was VERY good for the money (about 6 Sterling). The service was very strong as well. And, the hostess had been quite freindly and gracious as I made one reservation, then cancelled, then made another.

The atmosphere WAS of course the main event. Lovely, kitschy, and fun.

I highly recommend going to the Witchery although the food may not be top notch, it's good. If you can't get in for dinner, try a lunch.

I hope to go back someday and to stay in one of the well known rooms.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
West Midlands
Reviewed 5 July 2009

The moment we stepped in the Vestry we were blown away. The suite boasts a huge bedroom that has a king sized bed and dining area, a seperate bathroom, seperate toilet room and seperate kitchen! The decor is the stuff of fantasy and is so delightfully theatrical and opulent that you cannot help but love it. The bathroom was amazing with a round stand alone bath with red velvet shower curtains! There were lots of nice touches too like a chocolates and champagne waiting for us on our arrival and the service from the staff was excellent. My only criticism is that because our room was next to the road that leads up to the castle it was very noisy but that certainly didn't spoil the experience and it's left me with memories I will cherish. Plus despite being noisy, being next to the castle not only meant easy access to the castle but that we were right in the heart of edinburgh city.

I (like so many others who wrote in the guest book in our room) can't wait to go back and try another suite. Many people wrote that they only left their room to go to dinner and given that it's such an entertaining, fantastical and romantic room I can fully understand why. If you go to Edinburgh and you like history, atmosphere and indulgence then you'd be mad to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 4 July 2009

After reading other reviews I was quite worried as we had already booked a table at this restaurant. I need not have worried as we had a great time. The staff were incredibly friendly - they couldn't have done more to make our experience a special one. I agree that the food was very expensive and I have had better for less but the surroundings and ambiance were unbeatable.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple