“Comfortable, quite hotel with good service and a good restaurant”
Review of The Bonham

The Bonham
Ranked #51 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
San Francisco
“Comfortable, quite hotel with good service and a good restaurant”
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I found the furnishings in both my room and the common areas to be appealing and comfortable. And, the hotel is on a quiet street - all the better for sleeping. Breakfast was included. I opted for the buffet. It offered a good selection and was fresh and tasty - much better than what I typically find in the U.K. (including Scotland). I usually avoid hotel restaurants, but on the day we arrived I ate at this one and was pleasantly surprised. It was very good. The gentleman who worked the day shift at the front desk couldn't have been more polite and helpful. I had a pleasant stay and readily recommend this small hotel - especially to those of us who dislike the soulless, enormous business chains totally lacking in character or any element of the unexpected.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Great hotel with free parking just minutes from the centre of Edinburgh city. Lovely room with great view. Pleasant friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2011
UK
Reviewed 29 May 2011

Having also stayed at the Balmoral and Scotman, we now always go back to the Bonham. It's in a beautiful location, quiet but close enough to all of the city's attractions. The room was clean and tidy as always, those on the second floor with the view over the city to the rear are worth asking for. The hotel was very helpful during our stay, the breakfasts are lovely - easy to recommend.

Room Tip: Rear facing and pref. 2nd floor - 208 is the best
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We stayed for 2 nights. The room was fine. It was clean with everything you needed. However, service in the restaurant was very poor. We ordered breakfast on the first day and after 20 mins decided to ask where it was. It seemed the chef had not noticed the order. However, the waiter who took the order walked past several times but did not think to check on the whereabouts of our breakfast! Also tables were not cleared efficiently and the first course was still on the table when the cooked breakfast eventually arrived. There were lots of tables with remains of breakfast on. Staff walked by empty handed instead of collecting dishes on the way! Toast was not automatically supplied and once ordered it arrived when we had nearly finished eating our cooked breakfast. When the toast did arrive, there was no butter.! The waiter came back eventually with one tiny square of butter (for 4 people). Seemed to be a real lack of initiative on the part of some of the waiting staff! A very frustrating experience to say the least! Although the cost of the breakfast was included int he package, the Scottish breakfast did not warrant £14 and if we had to pay that as extra, I would have been very disappointed! Not very much for a lot of money we thought. Not an experience we will be repeating.
However, on a positive note, the member of staff on reception when we left on Friday 20th May was very helpful and pleasant.

I also wanted to check whether the hotel had taken off a lunch that I had mistakenly ordered on-line. The response was vague! I now have to check my card statement to see!

Unfortunately, I would not recommend this hotel until they sort out their staffing issues.

nallera, Manager at The Bonham, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations. We will take your comments on board, however, should you wish to discuss this further we would be delighted to hear from you. Please email natalie@thetownhousecollection.com.
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 16 May 2011

The staff were very helpful. The room was great (great view, nice and big & great decoration). The location is great (quiet street but only 10 mins walk to the centre of town). The breakfast is good (& they often do meal deals). The next time we are in Edinburgh we will return.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 15 May 2011

I was pleasantly surprised! Excellent service. Delicious food. Clean, charming rooms. I was on the top floor with skylights in the bathroom. I had a gorgeous view of the city. It is located in a neighbourhood away from the touristy areas, but Edinburgh is not a huge city so nothing is too far away. It was very quiet and relaxing. The bed was extremely comfortable. I would definitely return to The Bonham!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank 5Travelwishers
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Having stayed at this hotel many years ago I was really looking forward to a return visit. Friends had given us one night with dinner bed and breakfast for my 50th birthday. When I tried to book our night I was told that if I wanted to stay on a Saturday night I would have to book an extra night as they only booked Saturday's as part of a two night package. Several phone calls later they finally agreed to one night after I explained that both my husband and I would have to take a day off work . We were both very disappointed with the room we were given, nothing like any of the photographs on the web site and very basic with shabby furniture. The television had sound but no picture and the phone was constantly flashing with a red light. After fixing the problem with the television we were told that the phone must be broken but they made no effort to fix the problem. On returning to our room to go to bed we were faced the the totally unbearable noise from the central heating . When we phoned to complain we were told that several other guests had complained and they would try to fix it . Two hours later it stopped.The meal in the restaurant was very good and the staff really nice and friendly, however could not say the same at breakfast. Had to ask for basics like toast and service was very slow. The whole place could do with a bit of a make over , furniture is tired and very worn. Will not be returning.

3 Thank Mhislop026