“Extremely pleasant hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Baldock, United Kingdom
“Extremely pleasant hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

From the moment of arrival we found the service and coutesy of all the staff extremely good - from initial welcome, to carrying bags to room and to parking car in their car park for us (all at their suggestion). Rich decorations in public areas and an air of tranquility all enhanced the stay at the hotel. Room (third floor rear) was very well furnished and lived up to expectation created by the brochure and internet adverts. It had a lovely view over parts of the City and to the Firth of Forth.

Located in the "New Town" it really is just a 6-7 minute walk from the Western end of Princes Street and George Street and probably about 15 minutes from the Royal Mile.

On the food side, breakfasts were very good. We only ate in on one evening but have to say were a little dissapointed. Maybe because it coincided with fathers day, but the main meal of Duck had run out (by 7pm) and had been replaced by the less appealing chicken breast. The quality of the food however was very good, albeit a pretty sparse on the plate - OK for nouveau fanatics, but really after a day trotting up and down the Royal mile a little more quantity as well as quality would nice.

However overall a very pleasant stay

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2009

This place is a gem. I have had several disappointing hotel experiences vacationing in Scotland and this place was very refreshing.

I was travelling alone this trip and booked this for the beginning of my stay after arriving from the U.S.A. and then prior to departure. The first room (304) was surprising roomy; the second (307) was a bit cramped, but still acceptable since it was just me. Also, the first room was 99 pounds per night; the second 89. This included full breakfast, which was excellent. The rooms were in top condition and quiet.

I was not travelling with a computer this trip and they had a laptop I was able to use. When someone else was using it and I wanted to check e-mail, the staff offered me the use of one of their business computers. I would not abuse this offer, but it gives you the idea of how anxious they are to satisfy.

The hotel is located just slightly to the west of central Edinburgh. It is a nice 5 or 10 minute walk, which is just far enough so that you are not in the middle of "tourist craziness."

The only thing which bothered me was the rooms were a bit warm in the late afternoon and evening. Things may be a bit cooler on the first or second floors. I had the windows open the entire time.

I am probably returning to Edinburgh next summer, this time with my wife and we are planning on staying at The Bonham.

Tip: if you are coming from the airport and can carry your own luggage, just take the express bus to the West End stop - the hotel is a 5 minute walk from the stop. If you are coming by train, Waverly is about a 20 minute walk; instead, get off at Haymarket if your train stops there - it's a 7 minute walk .

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Blackpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

My husband & I stayed for 3 nights at the Bonham in rm 109, which is located at the rear of the hotel. Our room was light and airy with two windows and the king size bed had high quality cotton bedding & extremely comfortable pillows. The curtains, 4 cushions and a vanity chair were all upholstered in matching patterned fabric & a co-ordinated scarlet throw gave a deluxe look. Our room had 2 full length towelling dressing gowns, which were useful, and molten brown toiletries were also a nice touch.

We paid £320 for 3-nights including full scottish breakfast, which we thought was a bargain as our Dorling Kindersly Scotland book suggested rooms were £150+ per night.

The only thing to be careful of is the parking if you intend to travel during the day as reception do not take any car registration details and cars were often blocked in so visitors were delayed trying to find offending owners so they could move their cars. The hotel is a 10-15 minute walk to Princes Street, but this wasn't a problem as it meant the hotel is located in a quiet location so no problems with noise.

We would strongly recommend this hotel and look forward to returning if prices remain competitive.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Monroe, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2009

My wife and I just spent 3 nights at the Bonham. It was centrally located near everything. The staff could not do enough to help.We had a spacious room on the 4th floor: clean & bright. Just no air conditioning. Apparently few hotels have this amenity. All in all, an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2009

I booked the Bonham as a complete surprise for my husband and myself for his 40th birthday. On arrival the receptionist new it was my husbands birthday and had arranged for us to have a complimentary drink - anything we wanted - on his actual birthday the next day. That really set the tone. The service we received was absolutely fantastic, nothing was too much trouble. In fact in our opinion that went way beyond what we would expect. Our only small and I mean small grumble is that our lovely room was very warm indeed (we were blessed I guess to have very good weather). It did make it quite difficult to sleep at night.
Other than that I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and would certainly love to visit again.

York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

I knew it was going to be good .. you don't pay top dollar for a mediocre hotel .. but not as good as this! I booked the long weekend for my partner's birthday and first impressions on registering were very good. Great service, luggage already in our room (We had arrived too early to check in immediately) and it looked good too. When we entered the room we could not believe our eyes as there was a huge bay window with panoramic views across to the Firth of Forth .. a must for room service brekfast every morning. The room was great (the only exception was the tatty robes), the facilities superb. Breakfast was excellent and we had one evening meal in the restaurant which I would highly recommend. Easy walking distance to both old and new town. Try it if you are planning a special occasion.

1 Thank YorkSancerre
Christiansburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

We had one of the lower end rooms at the Bonham. We'd heard the hype about it being the best hotel in Edinburgh from someone who staying in one of the high end rooms with a copper tub. Our room was nice and I loved the natural light in the bath. However, I'm not sure it was really better than other hotels we stayed at in the area, and cost a bit more!

Dinner was good, but again, nothing outstanding for the price. We booked the deal dinner for 30 pounds online, but when we looked at the menu, we saw we could have actually eaten for less.

Also, it's a little bit of a walk to the city centre, though the bus isn't too far. Overall, I agree with the poster below. It's a nice hotel, but I felt something was missing to really make it worth the extra money.

• 2 of 5 bubbles