“Lovely, but needs attention before they lose status”
Review of The Bonham

The Bonham
Ranked #50 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Lovely, but needs attention before they lose status”
Reviewed 14 March 2010

Went for our 25th wedding, which they were very aware of, but was not acknowledged. We had upgraded, and expected nothing more than "Happy Anniversary". Checked in promptly to room 1 (copper bath). Very nice, but tired around the edges. Peeling wallpaper. toothpaste splattered around the sink area. Lovely fireplace, but it wasn't connected to the gas. Marks on the curtains and pillows on the bed. TV remore required a degree in technology!! Had we paid the full price we would have felt rather peeved. We paid £127 per night with breakfast, and felt we had quite good value, but have paid less for more, in many places in uk.

The breakfast was nice, but slow and lukewarm. Room service was good. The staff did not really interact with us enough to make comment.
The bed, bath, room, was quite remarkable. The location was quiet, but 10 minutes walking distance to Princess St

This hotel has so much potential, needs tweeking here and there to bring it up to standard.

Review appears pretty negative. We did enjoy it, and would certainly return, but to mantain credibility,I think management should pay attention to detail. and decor, and work a little harder liasing with their customers

2 Thank B8747501

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Czech first
Derby, England
Reviewed 6 March 2010

I stayed here on a recent business trip to Scotland. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the rooms tastefully and stylishly decorated. All the services you could wish for including free in room internet. The location is excellent with views towards the Forth from my room; about 5-10 mins walk from Princes Street and the Castle. Very good breakfast included with the package that I had through Yeego, good rate as well. Comfortable lounge area and parking included at the rear of the hotel which is a bonus. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Great service, great view from Room 210 across North Edinburgh. Great decor, one of the best hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 25 February 2010

I stayed for one night and had breakfast and an evening meal. The room on the top floor was very nice. Comfortable and spotless. Recently well decorated with free Internet. The reception was very friendly and helpful. The evening meal (£18 for a 3 course menu) was good and service was friendly if a little slow.

I really felt at home and would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Aberdeen
Reviewed 16 February 2010

My husband took me to the Bonham Hotel for a romantic Valentine Trip.
The hotel is great, the location is perfect and a short walk away from the shops, castle etc. The Livingroom and TigerLilly's is only round the corner if you dont want to eat in the hotel.
My husband had a bottle of red wine waiting for us in the room on arrival - it was very nice and did not cost the earth. Many hotels would have used this as an opportunity to hike the prices.
We ate in the hotel on Friday night and the food and service was excellent - and we are both foodies!!
The rooms are well decorated and the beds are really comfortable - Molton Brown products in the toilets.
The breakfast is a must - the freshly squeezed orange machine is great.

On check out the hotel duty manager presented me with a small box of Molton Brown products - nice touch and nice end to a lovely weekend - Well done the Bonham - I cant wait to come back!

Surrey
Reviewed 15 February 2010

This is a very good hotel, the staff are very friendly and helpful, the decor befits the image the hotel is trying to attain.
We were given Room 1, very large, huge height, staircase to the bathroom with the copper bath,all very nice.
The room could do with a chest of drawers to store your bits in, there is a cupboard under the stairs (to the bathroom) with hanging space and 3 shelves, but it would be better to put something in there for storage which is more suitable.

Bed very comfy, my partner and I are fussy sleepers but managed to sleep fine here. Just a bit more comfy pillows would be a suggestion.

The bathroom is a bit dark by the mirror making shaving and grooming not so easy.

Breakfast was great, all very nice, hot, prompt and tasty.

Parking is an issue, the car park is small, at the end of single lane and some people appeared to blocking others in, 2 days we parked in the car park and the other 2 we were on the street opp hotel, which was fine as there was no charge after we arrived back on Sat eve, no charge Sunday and we left before the charges started monday.

So worth a visit.

Edinburgh though!!! litter all over the castle areas and the roads are a nightmare, they appear to have blocked off virtually every route through and you are left going round and round to get places, even the sat nav sounded frustrated. There is no logic to what they are doing, they just close a road off, with no proper signs and u-turns are everywhere.

If you are driving goodluck and beware the car park charges in the city, they statrt at £3.20 for 2 hrs minimum, so a 30 min stay or even an hour costs the same.

Northern Ireland
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Stick with bed and breakfast. Don't eat dinner in the hotel - the city has countless eateries with better food to offer and far superior service.

Booked a weekend break with a 'superior room' to celebrate our 25th together in September 2009. £320 for 2 nights bed and breakfast. I know Edinburgh well and chose the Bonham on the basis of its excellent location and positive reviews.

Efficient check-in and first impresssions of our room (No 1 with a copper bath) were broadly favourable although it was slightly tired around the edges and one or two cobwebs on show. Luckily I have a good memory for faces as shaving was diificult with the dim bathroom light.

Breakfasts were very good in the airy dinning room with attractive views of the city from both the front and rear windows.

We ate out on the Friday evening but made the mistake of staing in the hotel for dinner on the Saturday. Having arrivied on time (8.00) we saw a large table had been set for approx 16 people and decided to go for a simple meal from the 'market menu' to stay ahead of any delay this large group might have on other diners.

Best laid plans. After twice noting a delay to our waiter our starters arrived at 9.05. Having outlined my concerns to both the waiter and the duty manager we only had to wait until 9.50 for the main course! I lost count of the number of apologies and was slightly amused by the varying explanations for the delay. Even for a set menu the food was not great. Had I not been staying in a hotel I would have had a fish supper on the way home. In fairness when the duty manager realied we were residents he waived the £30 drinks bill.

At check out the next morning the same duty manager was in reception . He again apologised, and I again pointed out that for a 4 star hotel hotel the service the previous evening had been very poor. When the receptionist gave me my bill I noticed the meal had not been included and the duty manager outlined that the food costs (£60) had also been waived. I thanked him for this further gesture.

For several weeks I praised the hotel to everyone who would listen. This was a place which appeared to set high standards and recognise when these had slipped. We had been having a meal on an 'off' night.

Problem is my credit card debit did not include the £60 reduction. When I included this in my feedback to the hotel another manager offered more apologies and promised by email the refund that would mean that the debit to my credit card matched the bill I had received. This remains outstanding. Perhaps its 'in the post' and the chef who cooked for us has moved to accounts.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple