“Excellent Palace” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Edinburgh Backpackers Hostel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Edinburgh Backpackers Hostel
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
“Excellent Palace”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I wish to thank the hostel for letting us changing the date of stay despite our no show after the booking. The triple room with shared bathroom was clean , spacious and even come with an attached kitchen.
We are so glad to have found this place and definitely will recommend my friends to book for this hostel. They even have very cheap scarf sold for 2 pounds!!!

Room Tip: Beg Bugs free a must!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I arrived at 9pm and left the following morning at 7am so I may not be the best judge but I thought it was really nice. Just off the royal mile, it was the perfect location for a quiet and hidden away hostel but still close enough to all the shops and sites. The facilities were perfectly fine and I have no complaints.

Stayed May 2014
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We have stayed in many and this hostel was wonderful. Given towels, clean rooms and felt safe. Both rooms we had were unique and were within walking distance of food, entertainment etc. Laundry services available for $4 GBP which is much cheaper than a laundromat and it's done for you. Breakfast available for $4.95GBP at restaurant next door or cook your own in their common kitchen.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa W
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

This was a very basic hostel. I had a private room at the top of a massive flight of stairs, tip to anyone who goes to Edinburgh that there will be stairs, Lots and lots of stairs I must have gone up a thousand steps and thats not an exaggeration.

Anyway back to the hostel. it was clean. The staff were very helpful and friendly if you are booking off the hostel bookers or Hostel world site then it does not adequately warn you that you need photo ID in order to check in otherwise you will not be able to get your room.

The hostel does not have an elevator so if you are disabled I would seek accommodation elsewhere although if you are disabled.

The hostel could be improved by offering free breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank riverfallss
West Hollywood, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I was extremely happy with my experience at this hostel. The staff are awesome - very welcoming and helpful. Tons of information available at front desk and they gave me a lot of advice about how to get around. I only spent 3 days in Edinburgh but wish I could have spent more time here. The hostel is on a small street which is just off royal mile. It is about a 15 min walk to the nearest Tesco/Express, and also lots of pound stores along the way.

Kitchen is tiny, but work as well as any kitchen. For the size of the hostel a bigger kitchen would have been nice. The common areas/tv rooms are nice and cozy. Always people around great for socializing. Common showers were as clean as one would expect in a hostel full of dirty backpackers. I stayed in a dorm, and was pleasantly surprised with how clean the room was. The beds were comfortable, and lockers are available in the room with a key deposit.

I fell in love with this city in the 3 short days I was here. When I do come back, I'll definitely considering staying here!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank rileyhalden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

The Edinburgh backpakers is located just off the royal mile where the free walking tours start. The royal mile has the edinburgh castle and Holyroodhouse at each end. I accifentally booked and paid for three nights instead of two, when I contacted them- I was fixed immediately with no fuss and no addional fee. My overpayment was refunded immediately.

My partner and I stayed across the road from the main hostel. We had a double room with a shared bathroom. Our room was clean and tidy. There was one bathroom with bath, shower & toilet and another with just a shower. The locks on the room doors needed a bit of negotiation to get in. The age of the building meant that you could hear people coming and going, but I used the FREE earplugs that were provided by the hostel and didnt hear a thing!!!

We also had full (with great connection) WIFI, got a discount at the delicious cafe next door and the held onto out lugguage post check out (£3.00) per piece.

Suffern, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

For travelers on a budget looking to get the best out of the Royal Mile and the heart of Edinburgh, stay here! After an awful hostel experience in London, my boyfriend and I were a little wary of staying here, especially since it is so cheap and had mixed reviews. Within the first ten minutes, we were blown away by the amazing customer service.
Merrick gave us sincere advice and honest information about the hostel, the area, and what sights were worth it and when. We wouldn't have gotten the best out of our experience and our buck if it wasn't for him and the other employees.
The cleanliness isn't the best, but Edinburgh's climate is naturally awful, so forgiveness should be given here. We had a private room on the top floor across the street and it was very quiet (2 rooms and 2 showers, 1 toilet). It was worth the extra £10 for a private room in the middle of a busy, tourist city.
There was a full kitchen on the 2nd floor with complementary utensils, pots, plates, etc. and the other guests were very clean and respectful. There was an oven but no microwave.
The hostel definitely has a punk rock theme going on, it's very relaxed and inviting and the people involved, whether they be employees or guests, are very open and sincere. It has a local, youthful vibe that was a breath of fresh air.
We enjoyed every night we stayed here and will book this place on our next visit to Edinburgh!

• Stayed March 2014