“Got my Glencadam!”
Review of Bow Bar

Bow Bar
Ranked #24 of 213 Nightlife in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Small quiet bar with a large selection of whiskey.
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I wrote a review earlier in the year saying I was disappointed that one of the whiskies in the list, Glencadam, was out of stock, although I was offered another .
I returned again last night and was chuffed it was back in stock - amber nectar!
I see my last review got a response from the management and the tone was basically slightly angry that I decided to "tell the world" about this through social media.
Yes, how dare I go on to tripadvisor and give my opinion.
To be honest the management should have apologised( as they did) and left it at that, and not got all defensive. It's called customer service.
This bar is amazing and has a great atmosphere however the management response has left a badtaste in my mouth.

1  Thank julie196501
Mike S, Manager at Bow Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Happy to hear you got your whisky, we will do our best to keep it in stock.

There are newer reviews for Bow Bar

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Yesterday a group of us went for a quiet drink before a concert at the nearby Liquid Room in Edinburgh. I met an old Edinburgh friend in the Bow Bar. We had just arrived off the train from Glasgow and were completely sober. However, the barman took one look at us and decided that we had been drinking all day (untrue) and that we were to make this our last one. I was completely shocked at this and initially thought he was joking. Alas not, and to compound the unpleasantness, my female friend, upon asking what lagers were available, was told "this is a real ale pub" in a derisory tone. The barman stuck to this position when another (sober) friend arrived to meet us and would only serve her one drink for herself. Completely unreasonable behaviour which spoiled our visit - a pub down the road welcomed us after this escapade and there was no problem at all.

I have never been subjected to this treatment before, and will certainly not be returning to the Bow Bar. This is a shame, as they had a great selection of beers and ciders available.

4  Thank moggieboy
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I'm scanning Trip Advisor to pick up tips on places to go on my next trip to Edinburgh and am reminded of my last visit to the Bow Bar. It was late afternoon a day or two before Christmas, and my wife and I and our two grown sons dropped in for a drink to take the chill off. However, the chill fom the staff was far worse than the weather outside. The boys went to the bar to fetch drinks, where they were ignored notwithstanding there were few people in the place. Then they were told that they ordered inappropriately because they didn't say "please". Drinks were grudgingly dispensed.
I cannot understand a bar that makes its patrons feel unwelcome, but on that day, at least, the Bow Bar conveyed the attitude that we should be grateful it was there to serve us. Our party was looking forward to a pleasant experience during the season of good will to men, but it wasn't to be had at this establishment. I have noticed that some of the manager's comments here similarly disparage the customers who have voiced complaints or made critical comments. That's unfortunate. Next time in Edinburgh, I'll leave this establishment to its afficianados. There are many other more welcoming places to enjoy a pint or a malt.

3  Thank TMSlaven
Mike S, Manager at Bow Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you for your review.
I can only hope there was a misunderstand at the bar, as we do not aim to make people feel this way when visiting us. So for that I apologise, and hope you visit us on your next visit to Edinburgh.
As for the Manager's comments on Trip Advisor, I am only defending my business from unjustified comments. I shouldn't have to be sorry for not serving a drunk person that has later gone to Trip Advisor to voice their displeasure.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I've been visiting the Bow Bar on and off for 25 years and it's consistently one of the best bars in Edinburgh. Don't go if you want cocktails, music, archetypal Scottishness, gastro food or, really, anything other than great beer, a cracking array of whiskies and a place to converse with your friends.

The beer has always been kept to an excellent standard and highlights generally Scottish craft ales in tap and a worldwide array of world beers in bottles. There are more malt whiskies than you can shake a stick at, both familiar and rare cask strength varieties. The gins are also quite interesting....

Finally, the clientele it attracts are a generally friendly bunch. I've never seen any aggro and often found myself chatting to a local or tourist at the bar. The staff are friendly, know how to serve with a smile and get the job done with a minimum of fuss. If you like beer and live in Edinburgh you'll know it already. If you're a beer-drinking visitor and don't drop in, you're missing an Edinburgh highlight.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Great selection of real ales and whiskeys. Proper atmospheric old pub well worth seeking out very close to grass market