“jewel in the crown”
Review of Bow Bar

Bow Bar
Ranked #20 of 211 Nightlife in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Small quiet bar with a large selection of whiskey.
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“jewel in the crown”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

atmosphere great, selection of whiskys brill. staff seem very friendly from mike the manager, steve and all other staff. its normally very busy, but its worth a visit if your in the grassmarket area. im not a beer man, but have enjoyed the selection of ciders they have had on recently. so congratulations to everyone keep up the good work!

Mike S, Manager at Bow Bar, responded to this review, 4 May 2014

UK
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Excellent old fashioned pub/ bar”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Excellent choice of beers here and some amazing ,rare single malts . Bar staff were welcoming informative and had a good sense of humour , the atmosphere was most convivial. Well worth a visit !

Mike S, Manager at Bow Bar, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Thank you, we take great pride in our selection of whisky, so we always love it when people appreciate it, same goes for our sense of humour.
Cheers
CHESTERFIELD
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“If I lived here this would be my local .......”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Typical old fashion pub....lots of real ales, whiskies, wines and ciders something for everyone. Great atmosphere pity we live over 200 miles away!!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Got my Glencadam!”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I wrote a review earlier in the year saying I was disappointed that one of the whiskies in the list, Glencadam, was out of stock, although I was offered another .
I returned again last night and was chuffed it was back in stock - amber nectar!
I see my last review got a response from the management and the tone was basically slightly angry that I decided to "tell the world" about this through social media.
Yes, how dare I go on to tripadvisor and give my opinion.
To be honest the management should have apologised( as they did) and left it at that, and not got all defensive. It's called customer service.
This bar is amazing and has a great atmosphere however the management response has left a badtaste in my mouth.

1 Thank julie196501
Mike S, Manager at Bow Bar, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Happy to hear you got your whisky, we will do our best to keep it in stock.
Glasgow, Scotland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Shocking treatment from bar staff”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Yesterday a group of us went for a quiet drink before a concert at the nearby Liquid Room in Edinburgh. I met an old Edinburgh friend in the Bow Bar. We had just arrived off the train from Glasgow and were completely sober. However, the barman took one look at us and decided that we had been drinking all day (untrue) and that we were to make this our last one. I was completely shocked at this and initially thought he was joking. Alas not, and to compound the unpleasantness, my female friend, upon asking what lagers were available, was told "this is a real ale pub" in a derisory tone. The barman stuck to this position when another (sober) friend arrived to meet us and would only serve her one drink for herself. Completely unreasonable behaviour which spoiled our visit - a pub down the road welcomed us after this escapade and there was no problem at all.

I have never been subjected to this treatment before, and will certainly not be returning to the Bow Bar. This is a shame, as they had a great selection of beers and ciders available.

4 Thank moggieboy