“A positive vibe and a really good hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Castle Rock Hostel

Castle Rock Hostel
London, United Kingdom
“A positive vibe and a really good hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

awesome location - really cozy and several places to socialise - too bad , I didn't use any of the lounges .

great showers and clean toilets.

I say the best hostel I have stayed at in the UK .

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Dharam S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

After a few years of "hostel break" I am now in the mood to travel, stay in hostels, meet people, and all that again. Time is tight and I only got to spend one night here. But I was absolutely happy about it. The hostel is absolutely huge. But it never felt over crowded, possibly because it has such wonderful and spacious communal areas (the piano room on a rainy afternoon was great). I wished I had been able to stay a bit longer. The breakfast was basic, but fair and the rooms were clean, beds comfy, showers were hot and good. I had absolutely nothing to complain about. Staff was very accomodating, I could leave my luggage for the rest of the day and enter again to change, get a rain coat, etc. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Janin E
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

I was a bit worried when I first arrived because it was my first hostel-experience.. and I was actually shocked and being scared by the wax figure in the reception area.. But, beyond my belief, I actually survived and stayed here over the weekend.. The place is really nice.. well maintained and clean.. i really fancy the living room though.. with the actual fireplace..!! Just a step away from Edinburgh castle, Grassmarket, Royal Mile, and Princes Street.. so really was a convenient place to stay, especially if you're on a tight budget.. Here, you can also find a perfect guidance on where to go or what to do during your stay in Edinburgh.. You can also catch a free walking tour every morning (though the walking tour actually run by other company).. Overall, I wouldn't think twice to go back and stay there a bit longer..

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank doechan
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by Castle Rock. I have never stayed in a Hostel before so I expected the worst and it was actually pretty good!

The walk from the train station takes about 10 minutes, very easy. Especially if you pack light, which you should since you are staying in a hostel.

Arrived around 1, was able to check in to keep my spot. I couldn't go to my bed until after 3 so they gave me a recommendations for the Royal Mile Tavern and the tip that I could get a discount with their card.

I went to the Royal Mile Tavern and had an entire meal for under 5 pounds. Quite a deal for anywhere in the UK. I slowly strolled up the Royal Mile back to Castle Rock to check in.

I booked a female room with two friends and we were all put in the same area in the same room. We opted to get a locker which was big enough for our travel bags & toiletries etc.

When we came back we sat in one of the common rooms for a bit to charge our phones etc. Then we were able to easily use the clean bathrooms and get to bed quickly. I personally never heard anyone come in through the night and slept very well.

We woke up too late to have breakfast the next morning but there were tons of cafes around to have breakfast at. It was an easy checkout process and then we were able to head right to the Castle.

Amazing location. If a hotel was here it would easily be 150 pounds per night or more. Clean. Good quality. Good price. Very happy with my stay.

Room Tip: If you are a girl book a female room.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Colleen M
, Manager at Castle Rock Hostel, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Hey glad you enjoyed your stay, and we could give you a nice experience of the world of Hostels :) Thanks for taking the time to review us. Cheers
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights. The room was clean, the bathrooms are cleaned regularly which is nice! it was my first time to stay in a hostel and I am quite happy that I chose this hostel.
the staff were all friendly too.
the lounge is ok- I didn't find it comfortable to stay there though. it might depends on the guests of the hostel. The furniture are a bit ragged but not so bad.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

stayed at the castle rock hostel for a weekend while visiting edinburgh. no regrets on choosing this one. the location was really great. just a couple minutes walk to the castle, royal mile, grassmarket; perfect for me since I was in the city for such a short stay (2 nights). the hostel is a 24-7 place, in that there are staff always on duty, which i liked (especially since my flight in was 3 hours late and i didn't arrive until super late).

the hostel itself is really cool. really big. it does in fact have a funky castle vibe to it. lots of fun decorations. lots of different communal places to chill out and lounge around.

i stayed in a mixed dorm; a big room full of bunk beds. but even though there were quite a few people in the room, there was plenty of space for everyone. personal lockers. personal safe boxes. everyone who was in my room was courteous and friendly. the rooms and bathrooms were spotless. showers were hot. and the staff was very helpful and friendly.

what more could you want? i wish i could've stayed longer.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank kbell33
Jihlava, Czech Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

We stayed in 4 bedded dorm, which was really small, but good enough for 1 night. Showers and bathroom clean, no problems with hot water. But the kitchen - absolutelly not organized, seems like many people are permanently residing there, not really clean, but not really messy. Something between. Anyway the location is superb and the price reasonable.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends