“Booked a room 4 months prior and the hostel cancelled 3 weeks before the day in the busiest time of the year”
Review of Castle Rock Hostel

Castle Rock Hostel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I booked a room at Castle Rock Hotel beginning of May 2012, 4 months prior to my weekend trip to Edinburgh in August. They cancelled my room without any good reason 3 weeks before the day. August is the busiest time of the year in Edinburgh because of the festivals, which is why I tried to book far in advance. Now they said they could not accomodate me, and were going to move me to their "sister hotel" - which is farther away from the Book festival that I'm going to attend. I will be spending time at the festival until late and do not prefer to stay somewhere that is even further (30 minutes instead of 10-15 mins walk). Upon asking for compensation for the inconvenience they caused me (a better room perhaps? discounted price?), they made no further effort. When reminded that I'm very unhappy with this sudden change and would go ahead and write a dissatisfied review, they immediately refunded my money for they said I had threatened to defame their hotel. Wow, just wow. Clearly they completely lose the point. I have expressed my dissatisfaction in several emails to the hostel, emphasizing that I have booked months and months before. It is not right that they just cancelled on me weeks prior to the busiest time of the year in Edinburgh. I would find a very hard time to find another hostel that suits my needs and budget. If they are overbooked they should have let me know soon after I booked, so I would have time to find alternate accomodation. What kind of hostel finds they're overbooked a couple of months after the person's booking? I have stayed in dozens and dozens of hostels and hotels in my extensive traveling life, not once someone has cancelled my booking (in the busiest time of the year no less!). It is such a surprising experience for a hostel that has a pretty high rating. What caused them to treat customers this way? Greed probably. There are over abundance of people coming in August to Edinburgh so they move old bookings around for their own convenience. Such a bad experience for a first trip to Edinburgh for me (and hope I could still find a place to stay in and don't have to cancel my entire trip).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Dioni Z
Neal B, Manager at Castle Rock Hostel, responded to this review, 26 August 2012
Dion, as originally discussed with you, there was actually an online booking issue, computers are wonderful invention but unfortunately not always 100% perfect. The fact your booking was not on our system was actually picked up months before your arrival, you were contacted via email, when there was no response you were contacted a second time. You did get back to us perhaps a month or so before your booking. As we were unable to fit you in without causing further problems and inconvenience to other guests, and as the original issues was with your booking. You were offered the very same type of room at our other hostel, 10 min walk away, in the heart of the Royal Mile. In all your correspondence with us you were rude and unpleasant, attempting to bully us into moving others to suit your own convenience, to the point we felt yourself and our staff would be much happier if you found alternative accommodation. We hope you did find something that suited your needs, alowing you to enjoyed the Edinburgh Book Festival.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I loved the unique building and great common areas of this hostel but the room we were in was really tiny and definitely over-priced. The rooms on the top floor are so cramped that there wasn't even room for a chair or a mirror on the wall. For a private room (triple), it's crazy. I also was really surprised, the staff seemed really uninterested and tired and were pretty indifferent when we checked in and asked questions. I felt like we were bothering them. But overall the location was really awesome (right next to the castle and the royal mile) and the building was pretty interesting. Bathrooms were clean but beds were uncomfortable. I would spend the extra 20 pounds and go to a Guest House or B&B next time or search for another hostel a bit further away to get a better deal.

Room Tip: Avoid the attic, the rooms up top are pretty cramped. They're okay for a sleep, but even in the...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lkelsey
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

awesome location - really cozy and several places to socialise - too bad , I didn't use any of the lounges .

great showers and clean toilets.

I say the best hostel I have stayed at in the UK .

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Dharam S
London
Reviewed 15 July 2012

After a few years of "hostel break" I am now in the mood to travel, stay in hostels, meet people, and all that again. Time is tight and I only got to spend one night here. But I was absolutely happy about it. The hostel is absolutely huge. But it never felt over crowded, possibly because it has such wonderful and spacious communal areas (the piano room on a rainy afternoon was great). I wished I had been able to stay a bit longer. The breakfast was basic, but fair and the rooms were clean, beds comfy, showers were hot and good. I had absolutely nothing to complain about. Staff was very accomodating, I could leave my luggage for the rest of the day and enter again to change, get a rain coat, etc. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Janin E
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I was a bit worried when I first arrived because it was my first hostel-experience.. and I was actually shocked and being scared by the wax figure in the reception area.. But, beyond my belief, I actually survived and stayed here over the weekend.. The place is really nice.. well maintained and clean.. i really fancy the living room though.. with the actual fireplace..!! Just a step away from Edinburgh castle, Grassmarket, Royal Mile, and Princes Street.. so really was a convenient place to stay, especially if you're on a tight budget.. Here, you can also find a perfect guidance on where to go or what to do during your stay in Edinburgh.. You can also catch a free walking tour every morning (though the walking tour actually run by other company).. Overall, I wouldn't think twice to go back and stay there a bit longer..

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank doechan
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by Castle Rock. I have never stayed in a Hostel before so I expected the worst and it was actually pretty good!

The walk from the train station takes about 10 minutes, very easy. Especially if you pack light, which you should since you are staying in a hostel.

Arrived around 1, was able to check in to keep my spot. I couldn't go to my bed until after 3 so they gave me a recommendations for the Royal Mile Tavern and the tip that I could get a discount with their card.

I went to the Royal Mile Tavern and had an entire meal for under 5 pounds. Quite a deal for anywhere in the UK. I slowly strolled up the Royal Mile back to Castle Rock to check in.

I booked a female room with two friends and we were all put in the same area in the same room. We opted to get a locker which was big enough for our travel bags & toiletries etc.

When we came back we sat in one of the common rooms for a bit to charge our phones etc. Then we were able to easily use the clean bathrooms and get to bed quickly. I personally never heard anyone come in through the night and slept very well.

We woke up too late to have breakfast the next morning but there were tons of cafes around to have breakfast at. It was an easy checkout process and then we were able to head right to the Castle.

Amazing location. If a hotel was here it would easily be 150 pounds per night or more. Clean. Good quality. Good price. Very happy with my stay.

Room Tip: If you are a girl book a female room.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Colleen M
, Manager at Castle Rock Hostel, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Hey glad you enjoyed your stay, and we could give you a nice experience of the world of Hostels :) Thanks for taking the time to review us. Cheers
Ireland
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights. The room was clean, the bathrooms are cleaned regularly which is nice! it was my first time to stay in a hostel and I am quite happy that I chose this hostel.
the staff were all friendly too.
the lounge is ok- I didn't find it comfortable to stay there though. it might depends on the guests of the hostel. The furniture are a bit ragged but not so bad.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo