“A nice hostel in a busy area.”
Review of Castle Rock Hostel

Castle Rock Hostel
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed in this hostel during the Edinburgh festival. This hostel is located in the busy old town of Edinburgh right next to the famous Edinburgh castle. The staff is friendly and helpful. I stayed in 4 bed dorm, this hotel doesn't offer attach toilets in those dorms. Overall this hostel is quite nice and right in the middle of the city.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MudsMuds
Write a ReviewReviews (1,656)

Reviewed 17 August 2012

I had a good experience staying in a 'castle', and I liked the atmosphere there. The location is excellent (so close to Edinburgh Castle) (but it is uphill from the bus station/train station, and takes about 15 minutes to walk). I especially appreciate the thought of providing free hot chocolate which adds variety to the options of tea and coffee.

However it is a popular place, and I went in a popular month (august) when there was a lot and a lot of tourists. I could clearly feel the staff not paying full attention to my questions, and those questions were quite simple and would be answered in other hostels I have stayed in the past. But I am not saying the staff isn't friendly at Castle Rock, I am just saying they are mostly busy and hence can offer limited help only. I also didn't like the fact to show the 'orange pass' at the door though I know the hostel is doing this for security reason. (the smarter way is to install a lock on the door and give us a code..) for me it is redundant.
You would notice there are at least 6 staff at the reception in different timings so I guess they need to have rules. So I was really happy when one of the staff finally let a 16 year-old to use the toilet as long as his father accompanies him to go in. (I can understand why the staff hesistated...) but I just feel in general the staff in castle rock is not enthusiastic to help, but to do what's in their job description.

Maybe I am wrong, it is just my experience.

I also found the lounge being too noisy, but I was lucky to have quiet roommates..!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Neal B, Manager at Castle Rock Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Hi, sorry you didn't like our orange cards :( You know as well as get you entry into the hostel, you can also get great discounts at some pubs and restaurants in town when you show them.

I’m sorry if you didn't get enough time with staff, August sure is the most busy month we have. Staff will always try their best with your questions, but of course in very busy times staff can't always spend the same amount of time with you as in quieter times.

Thankyou for choosing to stay with us. Safe travels :)

Reviewed 17 August 2012

I was a bit apprehensive when my friends suggested staying in a hostel for our trip to the fringe but I was pleasantly surprised by the standard of accommodation and particularly the location which couldn't have been better. For communal/shared bathrooms the standard was good although the water pressure failed if too many people were showering at once. Seperarte, enclosed shower cubicals were a welcome bonus :) We shared a room between friends so I can't comment on sharing with other guests. Overall Ideal if you are on a budget!

• Stayed: August 2012

Thanks for staying with us, hopfully see you next year :)

Reviewed 9 August 2012

I don't normally stay at hostels any more, but the good reviews convinced me to give it a try for low-priced accommodation for my two nights in Edinburgh. I wish I'd had more time in this amazing and friendly city.

Please note this 4-star rating is based upon my expectations of a hostel - I'm not *really* comparing it to the hotels I've stayed in.

The location is excellent. The internet quality in the common rooms is dreadful (at least it is free). I stayed in a 14 bed dorm and while my roommates were mostly considerate, it was too noisy for my tastes. They could have used bedside reading lamps or electrical outlets in the rooms themselves - although I do see the potential for noise and annoyance creation should these have been supplied.

Breakfast was not included and there wasn't even much on offer to pay for - worst of all, no coffee! I think there may have been some instant stuff? Anyhow, plan on going out for your morning cup of joe.

Clean linens were provided. Overall, a nicely-kept, unique property with friendly staff.

Can't say I'm likely to stay in another hostel again soon, but as far as communal sleeping with strangers goes, at least this one was clean.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Neal B, Manager at Castle Rock Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Thanks for your review, im glad you enjoyed your stay. We do actually have free tea, coffee and hot chocolate in the lounge available all day and night. Sorry you missed it :) It is instant coffee.

Cheers

Reviewed 8 August 2012

This is quite a big hostel right across from Edinburgh Castle and behind the Royal Mile. I found it clean and good value. There are lots of stairs, but that's Edinburgh! Our room was clean, as were the bathrooms. There are lockers in the rooms and rooms are also locked (although our door didn't close properly without slamming it). The front door is also locked and you're let in through the 24hr reception. A good variety of common rooms and a very big kitchen area. I always found the kitchen area clean although I was a bit confused how to store out food - most people had named boxes but I don't know where they got them. We named our plastic bag and thankfully our food was not taken. I stayed in this hostel during the Edinburgh Military Tattoo and the Fringe festival and it still wasn't noisy. A great location to access the old city.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank tams79
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I was here at the end of November/early December 2011 for about 5 days.

[[ LOCATION ]]
The location is great; just a stone throw away from the Royal Mile yet far away from the main tourist sites so it did not have a lot of traffic - rather like a residential spot. I walked everywhere and even though it is a few ten to twenty minutes uphill walk from New Edinburgh, it is not uncomfortable nor unsafe. I bought plenty of food from Marks and Spencer's and the annual Christmas market in the area. It is also accessible to the National Museum of Scotland which I absolutely love, and the art gallery.

[[ ROOM ]]
Good: I stayed in an attic dorm all the way on the 5th or 6th floor in the corner with an airtight overhead window that had an incredible view across Edinburgh's Grass Market (Scottish Sports room). I liked the relatively large lockers and the individual light and hangers at the back of the door for coats. I was the only occupant in the 4-bedroom dorm until the last couple of days.

Bad: Unfortunately the room was cold because a draught was blowing in from a tiny side window (original stone seen just outside). Got an extra comforter and it got a lot better, plus the draught made the room less stuffy at night.

[[ SHOWERS ]]
Shared and a short distance down the hallway. Never had to wait and usually it is deserted, but it was cleaned daily and I really appreciate that. There is a shower curtain separating the hangers and the shower area within the stall so it helped keep clothes clean. Sufficient space for toiletries as well.

[[ KITCHEN ]]
2 large kitchens with a huge table in the centre for preparation and eating and general socialising (which people do a lot of). Everything worked well when I was there, but they seemed to be running out of space for storage while I was there despite the hostel not being full.

[[ LOUNGES ]]
There are 3 that I remember - a quiet small one with a fireplace (seats get filled up very quickly), another small lounge with an entertainment system that also doubles up as luggage storage in the day (I left my luggage there as I checked in earlier), and an airy large lounge in the centre that has a pool table and is great for socialising. Coffee and tea available here as well, and the huge tables and chairs (and sofas) make it feel like we are in a castle. The morning sun would stream through the windows in the morning, which overlooks the Grassmarket area.

I didn't use their wifi as I had purchased a SIM card. I also did not have their breakfast so I can't comment on that.

Generally highly recommended. It felt like a home away from a home, and is one of the better hostels I've been to.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top-floor are high-up, so request for a lower-floor one if it's available. I li...