“best place to stay in Edinburgh!”
Review of Castle Rock Hostel

Castle Rock Hostel
Xiamen
“best place to stay in Edinburgh!”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

located right smack in the middle of Old town, only a few minutes of walk away from all the interesting places in Edinburgh(save Roslyn Chapel), this place is the bomb. for 13 pounds, you get a bunk in a clean, 10-bed dorm with high window and ceiling, together with a room key and locker. staff is amazing! very friendly and full of information(thanks Sam for the tip about Highlands Chicken!). free wifi(although unreliable at around 6pm), 1.50 breakfast that includes a bowl of cereals, bread with choices of fruit jams or nutella, and a glass of fruit juice. tea and coffee are free. definitely recommended!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Ocean City, Maryland
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed here with my son and daughter over New Years. My daughter had stayed here several times before. THE staff were very friendly and helpful. Most of the guest are young people but they made me feel at home and welcome. Well cared for and clean as a whistle. I hope to come back and visit again. Great location next to Castle and the Royal Mile.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Phillip R
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed at Castle Rock Hostel for 2 nights and I was so pleased with my experience. Comfortable and clean bedrooms as well as sparkling bathrooms. Staff was superb and the location couldn't be better! It was my first time in Edinburgh and I couldn't imagine a better first time experience. Quiet nights (after 10 when the pub crawl departed) meant that I was able to be well rested for site seeing and the proximity to the castle meant I didn't spend much time commuting! All in all a fantastic experience. I love the hostel experience in general but Castle Rock was beyond what I expect from a hostel. If you're not sure about the whole hostel thing this is a great introduction (although it might spoil you) and a phenomenal price compared to hotels and guest houses!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Valerie M
IJ
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed a weekend at the Castle Rock hostel with my mother and sister and enjoyed it very much! The rooms are small but hey, it's a hostel! The showers and toilets are clean and the place is very nicely decorated. Coffee, tea and hot chocolate are free in the lounge and breakfast is £ 1.50. We rented towels for 20 pence so that saves packing. Excellent location in Edinburgh, very friendly staff who gave us a different room after we mentioned a loudly ticking pipe from the heating. It was absolutely no problem. Lovely relaxed admosphere, we can definitly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed here during an impromptu trip to Edinburgh. I believe I only paid 12 or 13 quid a night for a decent 2 night stay. The hostel is right next to the castle and a short walk from the Royal Mile. The hostel is clean, has cheap breakfast and is bustling with life. The only major setback was the poor quality of the Wi-Fi. The place is massive and eclectically appointed. It's a good bargain.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank EdeaBee
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I had a good experience at Castle Rock. Stayed for two nights. The price was very good and its in a convenient location. Breakfast was not stellar but not bad either. The dorm I stayed in was pretty quiet, and was an easy night's sleep. Friendly staff at the desk.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank __Kirk_G__001
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Definite low point of my trip to Scotland... I'm having some trouble understanding all of the high reviews and the "best in Scotland" labeling. This was the *worst* hostel I stayed in while visiting Scotland, by far. It is even the worst hostel I've stayed at in my life (although I've never had a "bad" hostel experience up until this one).

Still has it's ups and downs...

PROS:
(1) HUGE public space.
(2) Plenty of space for storage.
(3) Friendly front desk staff (although not ultimately helpful at times).
(4) Relatively inexpensive.
(5) Good location.

CONS:
(1) My 12 bunk room changed over nearly every night (due to tours), makes it difficult as a solo traveler.
(2) A few personal belongings "disappeared" with the one bed change that occurred after my first night (papers, ~20 quid headlamp hidden in pillowcase, earplugs).
(3) Their direct booking site is garbage, sent me two emails, one stating I paid 13 pounds and the other 58 pounds. In the end, I paid 103 pounds for a 58 pound-priced 4 night stay (although this will likely get sorted out now that I've caught it).
(4) Rats/mice run around the common space when it gets empty at night (saw two).
(5) Management doesn't do anything about unruly guests at night. (A couple alternating eating in the bunk and screwing at 2am woke at least a half dozen of us up. We were pissed, told them so, they continued regardless, a few of us complained to the front desk, who did *nothing*. I ended up giving up on sleeping that night.)
(6) WiFi bandwidth is limited during the day, and long term guests sometimes use apps like WiFiKill to keep people they don't know from using it.
(7) Dish drying towels are disgustingly filthy (would be a health code violation in my home city).

OVERALL: This place had the worst vibe of *any* place I've ever stayed at. Still might work for people traveling in large groups, or people who plan to stay for an extended length.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jason T
Neal B, Manager at Castle Rock Hostel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are saddened that our hostel did not give you the good experience we hope to give all of our guests. Each issue you have raised will be investigated (your payment issue has since been sorted out). Best wishes for the rest of your travels.