“Perfect location!”
Review of Castle Rock Hostel

Castle Rock Hostel
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Like the picture shows, it is directly across and below Edinburgh Castle, so you have a lovely view. It's also so close to the city center and the Royal Mile, you can explore everything you'd like from one simple spot. The rooms are nice, if a bit small for a private room. The dorm rooms are spacious and lovely as well. The staff is so helpful with everything and nice!

Highly recommend!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank JessicaLee2990
There are newer reviews for Castle Rock Hostel

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Castle Rock has a great atmosphere with lots of activities to meet other travelers. While I was there I participated in a movie marathon, a beer pong tournament (on Saturday, the other nights were less wild), a pool tournament, and a pub crawl. Free tea, coffee, and hot chocolate was nice. The lounges always had people hanging out and I could normally find either someone to talk to or a spot to read if I wanted to be left alone. Very clean, though I wish the staff would have gone in to change the beds later since I like to sleep in when I travel; it didn't bother me too much though. Excellent location near to tourist attractions, restaurants, and pubs. Staff were always helpful and friendly. Got to know some of them a bit while I was there.

Room Tip: Female dorm was comfortable and twelve beds was not too many.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 April 2014

2 main aspects of a hostel are the cleanliness and the sociability. This hostel fills out both of them. The rooms are clean (with lockers), the main area is clean, the everything was clean. Also, the main hanging out area was amazing! it was extremely social and it was the only room with wifi so it was so necessary to hang out there. There was one room with a little better wifi. My only critique is that the wifi could have been a little better.
GREAT LOCATION
The hostel has a lot of deals with certain tours -- make sure to ask!
Overall-- great HOSTEL

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed there for only one night, but was greatly impressed! It is literally steps from the bottom of Edinburgh castle cliffs, and not even 100m from camera obscura. It is in an amazing location all around. The staff was very friendly. We arrived early in the day and did everything they could so we could check in early and get some sleep as we left Dublin at 3 am. We stayed in the superhero themed room which was very creative. The common rooms are amazing and there is many different types. Would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This hostel has the friendliest staff I've seen in a while! They were patient with the information, had quick answers and were very efficient at check-in and check-out. The rooms were large and the bathrooms were serviced often and very clean (very important to me) even though I stayed only for 2 nights. I am not a light sleeper and I had no problems with noise in the night..I think I slept through about 5 people coming in. There are 3 lounges specifically tailored for games, quiet room and music - fantastic! The kitchen was large and well equipped with large tables to eat around as well but the residents did not clean up very well behind themselves. The breakfast (not free) was basic but filling. The location is unbeatable - just a few minutes from the castle and close to the Royal Mile. Check out the MacBackpackers tours when you are there - it leaves form the hostel door. I went on a 3-day tour and it is the best thing I did in Scotland! In all, loved my stay there!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank AkshataRao
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My friends and I stayed here for one night. The hostel is a cool old building with loads of amazing features. So much effort has gone into making each room personal; for example we stayed in the Latin room. There were lounges for WiFi, listening to vinyl's, and eating.

The people on reception were great. Carol-Anne made us feel very welcome, gave us advice on the best places to eat and hang out and even booked a taxi for us the following morning!

The atmosphere is great and I'd happily stay here over a hotel any day!

Thanks,
The Durham Uni Psychology Students.

p.s. our presentations at the conference went well!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Joe C
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The atmosphere in this hostel was very welcoming. As a girl travelling alone I had absolutely no problems to get to know some people here. The staff is super friendly and funny, the breakfast is well arranged and (most important) the facilities are clean! The building itself is beautiful, and the location is very central. I definitely recommend this place when you're staying in Edinburgh!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo