The High Street Hostel is perfectly located right of the Royal Mile and only a short walk from Waverly Station.
The hostel itself is a 500 year old building and that is used as an excuse for not having power outlets in the dorms. It is quite an annoyance to have to sit in the common room and wait while you electrical items charge (if its only your phone you can have it charged in the reception).
The showers were a bit small but clean and I didn't experience any queues for them.
All in all we had some nice days here especially due to the nice staff in the receptions that made us feel welcome every day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the heart of Edinburgh. Relax, as a result of recent refurbishments we can assure guests of FREE HOSTEL WIDE WIFI and personal POWER POINTS next to EVERY bed. Thrive in the backpackers atmosphere and meet people from across the globe. 24/7 Hot showers, FREE tea, coffee, hot chocolate and unrivaled ambiance are just a few factors combining to make your stay here at High Street Hostel a unique experience. High Street Hostel operates inside a historical 470 year old building formally known as Morton House. The resident, Earl of Morton, was beheaded in 1581, a consequence of his involvement in the murder of Mary Queen of Scots' husband. These days, we operate with less beheadings and more beddings.. Hah.. However don't be mislead. Though the hostel may be 470 years old we possess state-of-the-art facilities that will make you immediately question the present century. Welcome to the future, it comes with wifi. In conjunction with our next-generation building-wide wifi we have included personal power points next to each bed. With this combination you can maximise your time spent in bed watching films on your device instead of exploring this seemingly pre-historic city. NOTE: Do not panic. If you do not have your own device to waste time, on you may rent a tablet, or use the PC in the reception area. In regards to location, High Street Hostel is one of the most ideally situated hostels enabling travellers to step out of the door right into the heart of the city. As time goes by it seems we are becoming flanked by restaurants, pubs, and live music venues from all directions, explore the likes of which during our weekly pub crawls, trivia nights and other various events. For the night owls, we boast a 24 hour reception and lounge area to hang out before you embark on or after you wake from the sleep befit for a King of Scotland. High Street Hostel boasts the most relaxing and reverie packed atmosphere in all of Blackfriars Street, winning the Blackfriars Street hostel of the decade award 3 weeks in a row! Enjoy a daydream in the lounge with the landscape mural or question your sanity in the reception with whatever dubious music choice the receptionist at the time entertains. Whatever your fancy, the team at HSH is here to ensure a fulfilling experience of UK's favourite city. For the frugal travellers, rest easy knowing our prices are the most competitive in the city. Not only this, but discounts are offered throughout the city to our guests for pubs to cafes to entertainment venues. If you don't like to eat out, we maintain a fully equipped kitchen that would cause Jamie Oliver himself to quiver in fear at the thought of the storm he could cook up in it. We have tables and chairs acquired from what was the local church so you may be inspired while impressing your friends or any new friends you might make during your stay with that one elaborately delicious and spiritually enlightening meal you know how to make. Sleep well knowing you may continue your lucid mental state come morning time by avoiding the hassle of embarking into the nightmarish cold weather and taking advantage of our £1.90 Buffet styled breakfast available until 10:30am. Important things to note for more scrupulous readers; -The rumours are true, we do have a pool table. -Showers and bathrooms are located on each floor and shared between the lads and ladies. -We do not accept guests under the youthful age of 18 due to our fears of irreversible corruption as a result of interactions with our staff team. Also for legal reasons. -We do not host stag or hen parties. We ask you to contact us directly before booking if; -You wish to stay for a prolonged period of time or any more than 14 days. -Your party/group/fellowship/bouquet of flowery friends is larger than 6 members. If you plan to have a busy day and don't want to spend hours drying naturally, we offer towel rentals for only £0.20 And why not take advantage of our laundry service costing £3.50 And clean a whole bag of socks. For our high rolling guests, enter the world of luxury as you step into the mahogany filled reception area where you can listen to or endeavour to play the smooth sounds of the piano while smoking your pipe on the antiquated rich leather couches we acquired from private sales across the globe. Disclaimer; we do not allow smoking inside the hostel under any circumstances. We do however invite you to pursue future diseases and lung problems by taking advantage of our smoking area conveniently placed outside, and accessible from, the lounge. We also have a fish tank Come have fun High Street Hostel ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your High Street Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- High Street Hotel Edinburgh
- High Street Hostel Edinburgh, Scotland