“Best hostel services I had seen to date”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of High Street Hostel

High Street Hostel
“Best hostel services I had seen to date”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

A cozy hostel with excellent staff, just located on the Royal miles, exactly middle of it, between Arthur's seat and edinburgh castle... breakfast avail at gbp1.90.. shared clean and big rooms.. shared bathroom and toilets... provide laundry service at GBP3.50 for a big bag, charged according to bag they provide which is large

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed for 3 nights in September 2013. I never really liked big hostels, and this was one of them. The common room was always packed with people, and there are no power outlets in the room. The wifi was also really bad anywhere in the hostel, which wasn't very helpful for trip planning. It does have a great location though, and a great price (the cheapest hostel in the UK that I've ever stayed at), but I would still rather pay a little more for a better environment.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Our first impression when arriving at High Street Hostel was positive. It was in a good location, it had a quaint entranceway, the staff were friendly and check-in was prompt. We had a private room on the top floor, this would usually be ok but as there was no lift we had to heave our luggage up the huge staircase but we did pass a fellow friendly guest who helped with our bags which was a huge help. When we got to our floor and walked into the corridor there was a strong smell of urine, probably because the carpet was old and dirty and there was not enough ventilation. When we got to our room we were extremely disappointed, it was a space of about 2 metres squared including the bed, we had to use the window ledge to place our small belongings. There was no room at all for our bags, not even under the bed as the bed was a cement block with a thin unevenly cut foam mattress on top so we had very minimal floor space. When we wanted to leave the room we had to squeeze up against the wall so we had room to open the door to get out. I'm guessing when the building was originally built this would not have been used as a bedroom but a closet. I know Europe does have small rooms and I have stayed in a few but this was ridiculous. The bed was already made with sheets and a quilt but we chose not to use the quilt as it was dirty and covered in hairs, this made for a cold nights sleep. The shared bathroom was old but it was kept clean. You could only get wi-fi in the lobby and it was slow. They need new furniture in the common area, they had 2nd hand old dirty lounges with lumpy dirty throw cushions. I would have liked to use this area more but I didn't feel comfortable sitting on a dirty lounge. It was reasonably priced compared to nearby hotels, all I expected was it to be a bit cleaner and a suitable sized bedroom not a closet even if it is somewhere just to rest your head at night. Edinburgh is a beautiful old city, we had a wonderful time. I will return one day but I won't be staying at High Street Hostel again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed a weekend in Edinburgh. (7th and 8 of December 2013) When i came back in Aberdeen, I brought Bed Bugs with me. I have experience with backpacking, So before I came here I checked the reviews and they were fine. Even the hostel was really nice, close to everything and everyone was really helpful.

But now I got Bed Bugs, so I hope the staff will read this and change everything. I stayed in Room 6, for 16 people. And I advise everybody else not going there before they clean it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Rob R, Manager at High Street Hostel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Obviously we take this matter very seriously and the situation was investigated after reading your review. However, no traces could be found and no other complaints from any other guests surfaced. For as long as I have managed this hostel, we have never had a problem with bed bugs. I'm sorry that you didn't have an enjoyable stay with us but perhaps the bed bugs were picked up somewhere else.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

This hostel is directly off the Royal Mile and an easy walk from Waverley Station. Lots of pubs near by and a short walk to George St if you are looking for clubs, etc. Staff were helpful, good facilities. Need more power outlets in the rooms.

1 Thank Deb B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Only stayed here for one night, but the atmosphere was very cool. The rooms were alright though not very spacious as expected (I stayed in a 8 bed). The sheets seemed clean enough, but I didn't feel totally sure. The staff were friendly and helpful. The location was absolutely perfect - were it not for that, I wouldn't have given it as high a review.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Really nice staff, and the facilities are really clean. The rooms are nice and not too noisy, warm and comfortable. The hot showers and the toilets, even though shared each one has its own cabin and are really good, clean and close to the rooms. The wifi signal is strong, but only available at the lobby, and the only sockets available are on the lobby, or on the hallway of your room. We paid the same price in other hostels and they just weren't as good as the high street hostel. As long as I need a hostel in edinburgh the high street hostel will be my choice.

1 Thank FilipaF18