“Disappointing”

Jurys Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #115 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Having stayed at the Jury's Inn in Manchester, I expected this hotel to be of the same high standard but I was very disappointed. The foyer is very smart and gives the impression of a very modern hotel. The check-in staff were lovely, allowing us to check in early and were very helpful with regards to directions to local amenities etc. and supplied us with a basic map of the area. Unfortunately the room didn't reach the same high standard. We were given a choice of a quiet room at the rear of the hotel without a view, or a room at the front of the hotel with a lovely view but not so quiet (close proximity to the train station). We chose the front room with the view and I can honestly say that it wasn't at all noisy, you could hear the trains but they didn't keep me awake. It was the room décor that I found disappointing. It was very dated and badly in need of refurbishment. The paintwork was scuffed and generally the room was very 'tired'. I cannot complain about the cleanliness though, it was very clean. Beware of the tea and coffee making facilities. They are situated on a shelf above chin height and it is impossible to see into the cups when pouring the boiling water from the kettle. (Unless you are 6ft 6" in which case it shouldn't be a problem). Definitely a health and safety issue.
The breakfast was very average. I think if I ever returned I wouldn't book breakfast, I would go out of the hotel and eat elsewhere, there are lots of places to chose from very close by.
Location of the hotel is excellent, just at the beginning of the Royal Mile and a stone's throw from the more modern shops at the other side of the railway line. Perfect for sightseeing and shopping but I think when I go back to Edinburgh I will look for a hotel with a little bit more 'luxury'. As Jury's Inns go, this one is very disappointing.

1  Thank Susan R
DeputyGM_JurysInn, Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Susan R,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at Jurys Inn Edinburgh.

We appreciate all types of feedback to enable to continuously improve both our product and service. Firstly, I was delighted to read that our team offered their usual warm and friendly welcome to the Hotel, they all ways appreciate it when their service is reflected on a guests stay. I was disappointed however, that our breakfast offering did not meet your expectations as we usually receive such good feedback. I shall meet with our Head Chef to discuss ways of refreshing our current product.

In regards to our bedroom product; we are one of the older properties with the Jurys Inn group and we have in the past been described as "old word". Jurys Inn Hotel Group are in the midst of a multimillion pound refurbishment of all their current portfolio and the team here are extremely excited for the time when this reaches our Hotel. What we do pride ourselves on here at Jurys Inn Edinburgh is the cleanliness of the rooms and the high level of service that you would find in with our colleagues in the luxury market.

Susan R, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you find yourself needing accommodation.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I had never been to edinburgh before so went for a weekend away with my partner, could not fault the hotel at all, the room was clean, the staff were really friendly. We had a lovely view from the front of the hotel and it wasn't far from princes street and the royal mile was directly behind the hotel. We even had a double and a single bed in the room, even though we only booked a double!
Having only arrived on saturday morning we had not booked any where to eat on saturday night, we asked reception who reeled off a lot of restaurant and even rang a few to see if they could fit us in!
Yes, there was a bit of noise from the train station, but you are paying for a hotel which is close to the train station and it didn't bother us one bit!
We will definitely return to Edinburgh again as we absolutely loved it!
Thank you to the staff at the hotel.

Dear sarah_dalton4,

Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words regarding your recent stay with us here at Jurys Inn Edinburgh.

It was great to read that we were able to help make your first visit to Edinburgh a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Edinburgh is a beautiful vibrant city and we understand that the team here at Jurys Inn Edinburgh are the first impression our guests have of both the city and Hotel. From this, we pride ourselves on the warm and friendly welcome and service we provide to our guests.

sarah_dalton4, please do feel free to contact me directly should you find yourself planning another trip to Edinburgh and I would be delighted to assist you with your arrangements.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

me and my boyfriend stayed here for the night, and cant fault it. The room was very spacious and the hotel was central so had plenty to do in the area. Very clean and the staff were all very welcoming. I thought the price was great, bearing in mind edinburgh is a very expensive place. The breakfast was fantastic, and we both had a great time here. Would definitely return if going back to edinburgh.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear catwummin,

Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words regarding your recent experience of Jurys Inn Edinburgh.

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always endeavour to ensure that we provide a warm welcome and friendly service and it is great to read that this was reflected on your stay with us. The Head Chef prides himself on providing a hearty breakfast to prepare our guests for a day of exploring Edinburgh.

catwummin, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

My friend booked us 2 double rooms fro Fri & Sat night. Having tried to cancel them once she realised that the price quoted was for 1 room not two - the hotel refused to cancel as they already had her credit card details. We decided to make the best of it - figuring that at that price(£390) at least we'd be staying in a nice hotel which reflected the luxury price tag - wrong!

The rooms are admittedly clean but very basic. The heating makes a running water sound all night - even when you switch the radiator off. My friend's shower was cold. There is a lot of noise from the street and railway station - the windows are not modern soundproofed ones. We asked for adjoining rooms - which they were -sort of....... except there were 2 double doors, 2 other rooms and a list shaft between us - go figure!

To top it all - I saw our rooms over £100 cheaper on a price comparison website the week before we arrived - so much for their "best price guarantee" sign behind the desk. We had booked a month in advance. We felt ripped off and won't be back. I'm sure the manager will write a message proclaiming their excellent location. My advice - stay anywhere else and get of the plentiful cabs in Edinburgh to get around. You'll still be better off!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
DeputyGM_JurysInn, Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear AnnemarieStott,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your recent stay here at Jurys Inn Edinburgh.

I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy our stay here at Jurys Inn Edinburgh. I can assure you that our Hotel is competively priced to all other Hotels within Edinburgh of a similar standard and key events in Edinburgh do cause the rates to fluctuate. We also do offer two different rates one been a flexible rate, which allows you to cancel your room up to 2pm day of arrival. We also offer an advance purchase rate which as stated in the terms and conditions is non refundable. If you book through a 3rd party website then they do have their own T&C's. We do have a best rate gaurentee if you book directly and if you did so, please contact me and I can investigate this further.

I shall be asking our Maintenance team to inveistage our heating system as internal factors should not disturb our guests at all and for this I am truly sorry.

You stated that I would probably just leave a comment "proclaiming [our] excellent location", however our location is a small factor in our guests experience, which is why I only highlight this when a guest has commented on it in their own feedback. It is our service that the team in the Hotel provide, which we pride ourselves most of all on and our general feedback supports this. I can assure you, had this been brought to Duty Manager or my attention then we could of resolved any problems, resulting in you having a more pleasurable stay.

AnnemarieStott, please do feel free to contact me to discuss this further as I can assure you should you stay at Jurys Inn Edinburgh again, your experience would reflect that of what our guests have come to expect.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed here this weekend with my husband; we had a free night due to a bad experience whilst staying in the Glasgow Jury’s. When we booked we asked about parking and were told that there was a car park at Waverley Station which is just across the road from the hotel; however on arrival the lovely receptionist told us we could park around the back of the hotel for free; this is a big bonus in Edinburgh City Centre as parking can be quite expensive. The hotel itself is very well located as previous reviewers have commented on you can head towards left towards Princess Street or right towards the Royal Mile. All staff we met during our stay was courteous and friendly. Breakfast was basic but had a good selection. We did have a couple of issues but nothing which would make us complain or not return; the bathroom needs upgraded it’s been years since I have had to shower with the shower curtain constantly touching me and making us feel uncomfortable, would be a better idea to have a glass screen. The other thing was the bed and pillows were not the best and may just need replaced.

Dear anjip_3,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your stay with us here at Jurys Inn Edinburgh.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. The team pride themselves on the service they provide and always appreciate it when this is reflected on our guests stay. We are currently looking into replacing the shower curtains, as you mentioned that these can be something of a nuisance. I would greatly appreciate it if you could take the time to send me a quick email to let me know which room you stayed in. Our guests good night sleep is paramount to us here and so I shall ensure that the matress and pillows are changed immediately.

anjip_3, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

The Jury's Inn is an excellent location for exploring Edinburgh. 5 minute walk from the station to Hotel, 5 minute walk to the Royal Mile with great places to eat and drink. The staff were very accommodating we booked as a group of 12 celebrating 50 Birthdays. On the saturday night we wanted to eat in the Hotel as it was Robbie Burns night and my birthday and even though the restaurant had 80 guests booked in for dinner at 8pm they fitted us in earlier and the food was beautiful and the service was fantastic, would definitely recommend it. Bedrooms were very spacious all with 3 beds. Breakfast was plentiful and again were accommodated at late notice. Will definitely return to Edinburgh and will definitely stay at the Jurys in again.

Room Tip: The trains can be heard from rooms on the front of the hotel apparently... we were at the back and a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear msr_dwyer,

Thank you for taking the time to share you experiences of Jurys Inn Edinburgh.

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the teams welcoming and friendly services was reflected on your experience. I was delighted also that we were able to host your special occasion in our restaurant also.

msr_dwyer, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed in Jurys last weekend as other accommodation we had booked had been a scam and fell through. The staff at Jurys could not of been kinder and more accommodating to us a group of 21 girls on my sisters hen weekend. They booked us in under short notice and gave us a great rate. They had all of our 7 rooms on the 3rd floor beside each other which was a added bonus. They also gave us a conference room we used to decorate up with their help for a Hen party. I would highly recommend Jurys inn to any one travelling to Edinburgh, with special thanks to the manager Richard who was so kind and helpful to us at such a stressful start to our weekend away in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Great hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear alicialawlor01,

Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words regarding your recent stay here at Jurys Inn Edinburgh.

I'm delighted that we were able to help make such a special weekend what it should of been when you first arrived in Edinburgh. I hope your sister had a great Hen weekend and the wedding is spectacular.

alicialawlor01, do come back and visit maybe for a well deserved relaxed weekend after all the wedding planning. Feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to make any arrangements.