“Extremely tired hotel profiteering on location”

Jurys Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #115 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Overall, incredibly disappointed with this stay. Rooms extremely small and tired, not decorated for over 10 years. Mattresses on the beds at least 10-15 years old and so uncomfortable. Dirty shower curtain and ancient showers. Bathrooms not refurbed in ages either. Good location, but at £150 exc breakfast, this hotel is profiteering on it's location only. No air con in the rooms meant that it was a very uncomfortable night, although a fan was provided on request. In their class, Premier Inn or Travel Lodge offer far superior value for money.
Staff friendly enough, but only had contact with reception.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank CHJH2007
DeputyGM_JurysInn, Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear CHJH2007,

We appreciate all feedback to allow us to continuously improve both our product and service. We do check our rates daily to ensure that we do offer competitive prices compared to similar Hotels of our standard.

CHJH2007, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Situated very nicely in the old city.
Very nice, helpful and welcoming staff! Nice old fashioned dining room with good english breakfast. Very clean and spacious rooms, but stained carpets, as one can find in many carpeted hotell rooms.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Mariann Dalen H,

Mariann Dalen H, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I Stayed for one night in May. There was a mix up in reception over who was booked in (not through booking error) and the staff member was very, very rude and snappy about it. However a phone call was all it took for things to get sorted and I received an apology. Bed wasn't very comfy but we did manage to sleep as we were at the back o the hotel. Breakfast was standard. Found hairs on the bathroom floor and cigarette burns on the desk seat. Quite pricey for what was on offer.

I stayed again the month later and was pleasantly surprised. It was a much better and cleaner room. All the staff that we bumped into were lovely and always willing to help.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Emily G

Dear Emily G,

I would greatly appreciate it if you could contact me with details regarding the person who dealt with the issue of your reservation. This will enable me to investigate further to ensure this does not happen again in the future.

Emily G, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Nice rooms, convenient to Waverley train station, our rooms were on the back side of the hotel and were VERY noisy. There is no air conditioning, so you must keep your windows open at night. Hotel workers were taking smoking breaks and emptying trash into dumpsters all night long. We hardly got any sleep. I have stayed at this hotel before and my room was on the front side of the hotel and the noise level was much better. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the front side of the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Sharon V,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at Jurys Inn Edinburgh. We appreciate all feedback to allow us to continuously improve both our product and service. I can assure you that I shall be investigating all the points raised to ensure this does not occur again in the future.

Sharon V, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

It's a budget hotel in a former office building so overall I think it's OK. However the rooms do need modernising and, be warned, as there is no aircon rooms at the front overlooking the railway can be noisy with the window open! Good buffet breakfast.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Perth14,

Perth14, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

we stayed at this hotel for one night i got it at a really good price as it was their 21 st anniversary and they were offering people a good deal, hotel was nice and clean in a good position as right behind it is the Royal Mile with shops and eating places and bars, Princes Street was just a few minutes walk away and all in all we enjoyed our trip there.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
DeputyGM_JurysInn, Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear ajallan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Jurys Inn Edinburgh.

It was great to read that you found our Hotel conveniently located for all your needs whilst exploring Edinburgh.

ajallan, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

Richard_Pearson@jurysinns.com

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Horrible service!
Question to front desk: can you please get me a cap?
Answer: (honestly!). It would be easier on me if you walked to the train station and caught one there ( it was pouring rain).

Question to the front desk: Can I get a key to open the window?
Answer: no, it's for security. ( we were on the 7th floor, room was 90)
Question: can I get another fan then.
Answer: no, we have a strict 1 fan policy (say what?)

Question to desk: I can not get the phone to work. I am trying to make dinner reservations.
Answer: we don't unlock the phones because our charges are so high.
Q: how high?
A: I don't know. It would be better if you used your cell phone.

What a dump, hot, smelly and bad service.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank GiantIguana
DeputyGM_JurysInn, Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear GiantIguana,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your stay.

I am eager to speak with you regards your comments in particular about the unacceptable service one of team members has given you. The team here always receive such great feedback and I can assure you this is not the norm.

The windows do open slightly but are restricted due to being high up not for security reasons. Neither do we have a strict one fan policy.

Please can you contact me either on 0131 2003300 or by the below email so I can investigate further.

Richard_Pearson@jurysinns.com