“Very caring staff”

Jurys Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #115 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I recently visited Jurys Inn in Edinburgh and was unfortunately not very well. The housekeeper and staff were wonderful and looked after me brilliantly. Nothing was too much trouble and they checked on me several times, sending up soup etc. I stayed an extra day because of it and the rest of my visit was comfortable and the food great once I was better.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Carolyn M
DeputyGM_JurysInn, Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear Carolyn M,

I am terribly sorry that you were not able to enjoy Edinburgh to the full at the beginning of your stay however, thank you for taking the time to post this lovely feedback about the team here at the hotel.

It was great to have you extend your stay for an extra night upon feeling better and I'm so glad the staff were able to make you feel comfortable during your stay.

Carolyn M, On behalf of all the staff we would love to be able to welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact us at any time should you plan to do so.

There are newer reviews for Jurys Inn Edinburgh

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Have just spend 3 Nights in Jurys Inn. Edinburgh is a very Nice city. Good shopping and plenty of restaurants.
The hotel has a good location, just up the stairs and you are on the royal mile.
However,350£ for bed and an average breakfast is way too much.
The staff was very nice gave us good service.
Would stay again if the price drops.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear PivoNorway,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in Edinburgh with us.

It is excellent to hear that the staff were very nice and that the service at the hotel was good.

With regards to the price, Edinburgh in August during the International & Fringe Festivals is an extremely busy time and I can assure you we take extra care to ensure we are competitively priced compared to Hotels of a similar standard to ourselves.

PivoNorway, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your time in the city of Edinburgh and I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I didn't stay in this hotel, however was attracted from the outside for a meal. It looked like just what we was after so we went into the bar.

They was very welcoming, considering we wasn't hotel guests, and the waiters that served us were exceptionally friendly.

We had a nice bottle of wine and the rump steak and it was incredible. Cooked to perfection.

We even had the chocolate fondant afterwards. And we're not normally dessert people.

Overall, it's was so good I had to write about it

A++++

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Rebecca W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review and I am delighted to hear about your experience with us, It was a pleasure for me to pass this review on to our chef and restaurant team.

Rebecca W, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future, for dinner and a stay in the hotel as well

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights, having arrived into Edinburgh by Train from London.
While close, it is a fair walk up the hill to the Hotel especially with luggage, so a taxi (although a short ride) is advisable if walking is not easy due to age and/or health.
The room we had was clean, comfortable and of a good size with en suite.
The general location is good for access to the sights of Edinburgh with the Castle and the Royal Mile being within walking distance, as is Princess Street and Princess Gardens.
We hired a Rental Car as we were continuing north from Edinburgh and needed to park the car overnight. The carpark we used was across the road from the Hotel and although a long walk back down the hill, it was convenient although rather expensive.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve G

Dear Steve G,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the hotel.

I am very pleased to hear you had an enjoyable time at the hotel and I am glad we could provide a bedroom to your liking.

I am sorry you found the walk to the hotel challenging. There is an exit of Waverley Station onto Market Street which is short two minute walk to the Hotel reception. I hope you can use this should you choose to stay with us again.

Steve G, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We went there for the Fringe and a walk up the steps behind the hotel brings you right onto the main street which is great. The other side is the station, which was a little noisy as without air-con the window needed to be open. Staff at the front desk very good, although our 3 rooms weren't ready at 2pm. One of the lifts wouldn't go up to the 7th floor for 2 days and then didn't work at all so this meant a wait for the lift up, there are stairs for down anyway. Breakfast was busy but the selection and quality pretty good. It would have been nice if there had been some attempt to locate us a way of 6 sitting together which there wasn't, being told there aren't any tables of 6, so we did it ourselves, 2 out of 3 days eating in the bar area which was nicer anyway. Felt a bit pricey for what it is but I guess during the Fringe everything is able to be more pricey than it should be.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
DeputyGM_JurysInn, Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Mike C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of Jurys Inn Edinburgh.

The Edinburgh Festival is a vibrant time for the Hotel, particularly breakfast where all our guests are eager to get out and enjoy their day. We do always try and accommodate large parties in breakfast, however, sometimes this is not possible.

Please do accept my apologies for the lift been out of action, this similar to home, was out of order unexpectedly but I am pleased to report is back up and running.

Mike C, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Late arrival so cannot comment on dinner food. The breakfast was poor. There was plenty of variety to suit all tastes but the bacon and sausages were barely warm, the eggs were hard due to being kept under heat lamps and the plates were very cold. Consequently, by the time I was part way through, all items were stone cold. When will all hotels realise that a good breakfast has to be served on HOT plates? I stayed during the festival, I know, but £199 for bed and breakfast in a non-air conditioned hotel is exceptionally high in my opinion for an average hotel with few facilities.
On the plus side, the location is excellent - just a few metres to the Royal Mile. The staff were excellent in all respects

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank dickparris
DeputyGM_JurysInn, Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear dickparris,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your stay with us here at Jurys Inn Edinburgh.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy our breakfast, we usually receive such fantastic feedback and I am truly sorry this was not reflected on your experience. We check our rates daily to ensure we are competitively priced against other Hotels of a similar standard of ours.

I was pleased however, to read that you did find our Hotel conveniently located for your needs whilst in Edinburgh.

dickparris, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed at Jury's Inn, Edinburgh for 2 nights, staying on the 7th floor in a "superior" room. Unfortunately, the stay was overshadowed by one of the 2 lifts being out of order the whole time, so waiting for the lift dominates my memory of the stay. I did complain, and after an initial resistance they did give me a 9% discount on the room rate. Even so, the tag superior room wasn't how I'd describe the pretty average room - though there's no doubt that the price was superior, even after the discount. (Being during the Festival probably didn't help, but even so the rate was at the top end of other hotels listed when advance booking using Trivago.)

But the bed was comfortable, and the facilities OK. The location just a two minute still from the side entrance to Waverley Station was great. It was convenient for all central locations and the Fringe venues I went to.

The hotel has no reason to be proud of its breakfast - a mediocre self service buffet (though with a poorly advertised offer to meet special requests and no one obvious to request). I particularly disliked the lack of any teapots for tea - at an upmarket hotel, I don't expect to have to make tea in a mug with a teabag! I'm not sure that many guests had ned of the jugs of mint and cucumber water though.

And a final note both highlighting their good service, but thoughtless attitude to facilities. The room came with a bath with shower over, but the shampoo and body wash were firmly fixed to a perch 5' up the wall - ideal for the shower, but useless for sitting in the bath. This is indicative of a complete failure to think about the guest's needs. However, I mentioned this to reception and a second free standing pair of bottles were provided ready for the second morning, so full marks to the reception staff.

Room Tip: Coaches and the refuse truck stop outside the front of the hotel, so rooms there suffer noise early...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Dear TheSciolist,

Thank you for taking time to leave feedback regarding your stay with us here at Jurys Inn Edinburgh. We appreciate all feedback to enable us to continuously improve both our product and service.

Unfortunately, similar to home things do break unexpectedly and indeed our lift was out of action for a while due to unforeseen maintenance, I am pleased to report that this has now be resolved however, please do accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused. I was disappointed to read you found our breakfast mediocre as we do normally receive excellent feedback. As you stated Edinburgh is very popular during the festival and we take extra care to ensure we are competitively priced compared to Hotels of a similar standard to ourselves.

I am pleased to read thought that the Front Desk did do their best to resolve the issues you raised, they do indeed always try and make our guests feel welcome and comfortable while staying with us.

TheSciolist, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.