“Just don't get this place”
Review of Stay Central Hotel

Stay Central Hotel
Ranked #44 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Geneva
“Just don't get this place”
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

This is hotel is so well designed, beds are so comfortable, staff is so kind and friendly, showers are excellent and in some rooms you even have a play station. But why oh why do they run a noisy pub just below the rooms. It's a misnomer really, hotels are meant to be places for rest, but here, the loud bass and music play on without a worry in the world until 2am. A real pity really because this has great potential to be one of the best hotels in the City of only they gave up their schizophrenic noisy and loud size for a more peaceful, serene and quiet experience. A spa could maybe replace that noisy pub dear landlord!

Stayed October 2013
3 Thank InfiniteTravellers
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Hi InfiniteTravellers,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us – we appreciate all the feedback we receive from our guests.

I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed the newly refurbished rooms we have on offer.

Unfortunately due to our city centre location, some of our rooms can be affected by noise on the weekend. We do have quiet rooms available upon request, and we try to accommodate all guest requests wherever possible.

Rachel Duff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
yorkshire
Reviewed 16 December 2013

my friend and I stayed at this hotel last weekend, it was great beautifully renovated room with a huge bathroom. all lovely and clean. Ali on reception was very friendly and helpful. Full breakfast in bar attached. Our room was at the back so it was lovely and quiet.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Yorkshiremoonbeam,

It’s great to hear such fantastic feedback about our brand new hotel product, and I am so pleased that you chose to write a review to share your experience with future guests!

I do hope you will come back and see us again soon; please contact us directly to ensure you receive the best returner rate.

Rachel & The STAY Central Hotel Team
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I was attending a conference in that area of Edinburgh, had time to spare on arrival the night before the event to get to a hotel but didn`t want to travel far first thing in the morning so I searched for a reasonably priced hotel in this area. The Stay Central was less than 4 hundred yards from the conference, was keenly priced and looked fine on the internet.
The hotel is a wee bit off the beaten track yet close to the main street. It`s not very well sign-posted but I had used the AA route-finder to find my way from the bus station. Nevertheless I almost walked right past it.
I stayed on a Wednesday night which was guiet but there is a lovely courtyard which my room overlooked and I suspect it could possibly be noisy at weekends.
The room I was assigned was a family room bit it and the en-suite shower room were immaculately clean and had everything I needed, including two large TV screens!!! Tea-coffee with marshmallows to eat, loads of pillows extra blankets which were not required as it was warm enough and a safe in the wardrobe.
Breakfast was included and there was a good choice. I chose the full Scottish which came with coffee/tea and toast and was more than adequate.
An evening pint of beer in the bar was a bit pricey but is probably normal for Edinburgh.
I was phoned a few days before to check if there was any help that could be offered and that was nice. I enjoyed the whole experience and rate it as one of my best overnight hotel stays.

Room Tip: Perhaps be aware of the possibility of the courtyard being noisy on warm evenings or weekends...but...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Alastair,

What a great review – it’s fantastic to hear such positive feedback about our new hotel :-)

I hope we can welcome you back again – please get in touch if you are returning to Edinburgh and we will sort you out with the best returner rate!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

On approach my heart sank as this hotel looked like youth hostel. I was however pleasantly surprised by the quality of finish, cleanliness and stylish decor in the room.
Night time falls and my fears confirmed. Hotel is joined onto a bar/club/meat market blasting out music. If you expect a hotel where you can sleep...don't stay here. If you want to party all night and have somewhere to crash then do stay here.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Awakeinedinburgh
Hi Awakeinedinburgh,

I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed the newly refurbished rooms we have on offer.

Waterlooville, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

On a business trip to Scotland with 3 of my colleagues, we decided to "rough it" in a hostel... How wrong we were.
There is nothing rough about stay central (except the non-working air con). And it was truly a pleasure for the four of us to share a room.
More spa style than hostel. Would definitely recommend, especially at £81 per night for 4 people)

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Hi Wj,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us – we really appreciate all the feedback we receive from our guests :-)

We hope to welcome you back again next time you are in Edinburgh!

Rachel & The STAY Central Team
Fife
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We booked two rooms at this hotel for an overnight stay withou knowing much about it. We did think that it was in the Grassmarket area, but it is a little further out in Cowgate. It is also part of the Three Sisters bar which is a 'student' hang out, so i can imagin that it would be a bit lively at times, especially at weekends and during Festival time.
That said, we were there on a Monday night and it was quiet. The rooms were good sized, clean and comfortable with a lovely bathroom and good powerful shower.
Certanily good value for money and even if it had been noisy, I could have put up with that for one night!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Hi Christine,

We hope to welcome you back again next time you are in Edinburgh!

Rachel & The STAY Central Team
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Background - middle age bloke on one night business trip.
Expectations - clean, friendly.
Experience - firstly location, this was spot on but this is area I wished to stay therefore that's why I booked it. Arrival was not perfect as had a very long day and person at reception was unable to book me in so had to wait a while until proper receptionist arrived. Having said this I had a nice chat with non trained person and was offered a cup of coffee. Staff were very friendly though.
I was given a very large room with a double and two singles which was far too much for me on my own! Not to worry.
The room however was spotless with loads of quirkiness to it and some really nice touches as many have mentioned in other reviews. Bathroom fab with nice toiletries which matters to me as cant carry these things around whilst taking flights with flight bag only. Shower was superb. Nice there was loads of plug points for my laptop and phones and was able to do some work at the well laid out desk with quick and free wifi - yippee.
Breakfast was superb as well.
I stayed on a cold early week night in room over beer garden and had an early night. I can imagine it might be noisy at busier times but can only go on my experience in that it was absolutely silent.
Only recommendation is that there could be better guidance provided by staff on arrival about things like breakfast times and checkout as there was no info in my room. A nice pack that explains ethos of hotel as well as the website does.
Despite the slight niggles this in no way prevents me from giving five stars given the price paid as well. Proof of any stay is that I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I can imagine this place could be noisy during busy times which is great if want to party. If not ma...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business