Stay Central Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Fraser Suites Edinburgh(Edinburgh)
The Inn Place(Edinburgh)
  • Bar/Lounge
The Inn on the Mile(Edinburgh)
  • Pool
1,683 results
All reviewsthree sistersxl roomroyal miletunnocks tea cakesipod dockrainfall showerquiet roomlittle touchesbreakfast is servedgreat showeramazing hotelbottled waterwould definitely stay here againbathroom doorgrass marketgreat roomfringe festival
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Just returned from a one night stay in this hotel. When we arrived, we were greeted by a friendly girl at reception who took the time to pint out on a map, all the aces we might want to visit. She also offered is a complimentary hot chocolate. The room was huge with a double and two single beds. All the usual tea, coffee etc, and Tunnocks tea cakes. Bathroom big too and furnished with decent fixtures and fittings. The shower was amazing! The only thing which let down the whole stay was the fact that breakfast is served in the pub adjacent to the hotel. Last thing you want to be greeted by in the morning is the smell of stale alcohol! The service was poor and so was the food. My advice would be definitely stay here, but on a room only basis.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank SusanJD
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Hi Susan,

Thank for the great review; it sounds like you had a fantastic trip to Edinburgh - I'm pleased we could play a part in that for you :-)

I am so pleased you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us; from the staff to the design to the little touches throughout.

I am sorry to hear you found the breakfast offered in The Three Sisters to be disappointing; I have discussed all your points in full with their Management team.

I do hope to see you again soon!

Best Wishes,

Rachel

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Modern room,though the hotel's location was not that obvious from when we were searching for the location of the hotel as it is situated near bar and karaoke loudness, we only experienced seldom loud noises of music and people singing during the weekdays. Though some reviews that I have read before commented the loudness of music during the weekend. But I personally dis not have such problem though. Probably the room's design and utilities provided have overwhelmed these. Plus they have good free coffee pack and Iphone dock and speakers in the room and bathroom where you can listen to your music playlists. I would recommend this hotel to others strongly.

• Stayed: February 2014
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Hi Sym I,

Thanks for the great review!

It sounds like you had a great time in Edinburgh, and I am happy that we played a part in that :-)

Thank you for the kind comments about the design and facilities within the room; we also love the iPod docks!

Rachel & The STAY Central Team

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

The Good: Nice refurbished rooms, comfortable bed, pleasant staff that took care of issue # 1 promptly, hot chocolate upon arrival, ipod dock, free wifi, location is ideal for walking around Old Town and walking from Edinburgh Waverly train station.

Issue #1: Faulty lock on the door/ no secondary security lock or deadbolt from inside the room. We found out only when a stranger was able to open the door & promptly close it again.

After going down to the lobby to alert staff of the security issue, they promptly sent someone to investigate & confirm that the lock in fact did not work & moved us to another room.

Issue #2: no in-house phones in the room. I've never needed it before, but then realized there is no instant way of communicating with the front desk other than making your way back down to the lobby. Our room was on the 3rd floor. This is very inconvenient.

Issue #3: No insulation in the walls to block the noise pollution. There is a popular in-house bar that gets quite rowdy late into the night. Not only could we hear people moving around/ talking/music blaring, we could also hear a couple above us having an all-out fight/shouting match/ throwing things at midnight for a good 45 minutes. VERY UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCE (See issue #2). I was not walking down to the lobby in my pj's after midnight for the second time to notify them of this disturbance. Very annoying.

Issue #4. They provide shower gel, but no washcloths. Bring your own or go without. This is a minor complaint compared to the above other issues.

Conclusion: Would recommend this hotel for people that like to get drunk/ rowdy and not sleep at all and people who only care that the rooms are modern and looking great.

Would not recommend for people who want a good night's sleep or families with children ( the courtyard was a hopping beer garden when we checked in).

Perhaps all the above issues were an isolated event, but my poor experience at this hotel has outweighed all the positive marks and has resulted in a poor rating.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bandoodie :
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel ultra-last minute for business and chose it purely due to its location to work. However, if I am ever to go back to Edinburgh for any reason I will be staying at this hotel. The staff were really friendly and bent over backwards to help, even ringing around restaurants in the local area to see where was open for me to get some late dinner, moving rooms for me when they realised there were better ones free than the one that I had been allocated, and treating me to a delicious hot chocolate when I arrived.

The hotel has been recently refurbished and it looked great. Rustic industrial look in the main reception and quirky contemporary look bedrooms. The bathroom was great with a big, powerful rain shower and the tea and coffee making facilities came with teacakes cheekily hidden in the teacups!

Breakfast was served in the pub that adjoins the hotel. I had the Full Scottish (why not!) and it didn't disappoint. Sausage, crispy fried bacon, fried egg, mushrooms, tomato, beans, haggis, some kind of pancake thing, and toast and jam. I couldn't finish it but I wish I could because it was yummy.

As for location, the hotel is situated on Cowgate which is a short, 5 minute stroll from the Royal Mile and from the Grassmarket (where there is a fine assortment of pubs and restaurants).

I am a big believer in balanced reviews and so I tried to look for a few points of constructive criticism but it was genuinely hard to do. The only minor point is that Cowgate is a bit of a thoroughfare for the groups of student drinkers so at some points I could hear some raucousness from the street. But nothing that kept me awake and, frankly, you are going to get that if you stay in the centre of any big city or town.

This is the third hotel I have stayed in during business trips to Edinburgh (the others being the Radisson Blu and the Thistle) and it is by far the best and would not hesitate to book here again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Chefsgirl98

Hi Kate,

It was an absolute pleasure having you stay with us last week, and I’d like to thank you for the really lovely review!

I’m so pleased you enjoyed your short visit to Edinburgh with us and that you enjoyed the recently refurbished rooms, our fantastic central location, the customer service and the little touches throughout the hotel :-)

Please get in touch when you are returning, and I will make sure you receive a great returner rate!

Rachel

Reviewed 1 March 2014

This place ticks all the boxes! It's within walking distance of all the main attractions, staff couldn't be more friendly and helpful, the room was great and it's just minutes short from some of the best bars and nightclubs. It was the little details that made it amazing - the Teacakes in the mugs, the docking station integrated into the wall, the complimentary hot chocolate on arrival, monopoly and jenga down in the lobby, free wifi, waterfall shower, anti-condensation mirrors, and the discount card giving us 30% off food and 20% off drinks in certain places around the city. We went as a group and stayed in a room with 4 beds - definitely a place to stay if planning a group trip to test the nightlife as well as everything else.

Can't say enough for this little gem! Great value for money and we will be telling anyone visiting to stay here!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi Tania,

Thanks so much for the lovely review of your recent stay with us here in Edinburgh, we really appreciate it!

I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay; from our fantastic location in the heart of the Old Town to the little touches throughout the hotel :-)

Please keep in touch if you are returning and we will sort you out with a fantastic returner rate!

Rachel & The STAY Central Team