“Excellent wee hotel”

Ranked #44 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent wee hotel”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Me and my friends went here for my 21st birthday and it was absolutely perfect.

We did have problems with the TV and one of the sinks but we weren't too concerned about this and reported it at the end of our stay. The staff were all absolutely lovely and always called a taxi for us if we requested one and did their best to answer our questions (like when we were looking for a good pub that did all day breakfasts (biddy mulligan's did a pretty great one)).

We were in room 202 and couldn't hear much noise from below but we were out a lot of the night. stay central added a nice touch by placing a mini box of chocolates and a card in my room for it being my birthday and even blew up all the balloons and hung the banners my friends had sent in advance. it was really perfect.

The room did have a funky design and the wardrobe space gave us plenty of room to tuck away our things and the hairdryer that came with the room was actually pretty good rather than the sorry excuses you normally get in hotels.The shower in the room is by far the best I've ever used and the Ipod docking station plays in both the room and bathroom on a total of 4 speakers which was pretty cool. the beds were pretty comfy though the pillows were duck feathers I believe which may not be to everyone's taste but it was still a good nights sleep and quite generous in the quality of bedding. the tea and coffee making facilities were also cute but very functional and plentiful and there was even bottled still and sparkling water which not every hotel offers. Despite it being an old building the room was also rather warm always. there were plenty of little extras like the "Take a selfie here" sign on the elevator mirror or the messages on the doors "hello is it me you're looking for" or "enter to the land of nod." or even the tunnocks tea cakes in the mugs for the tea.

Dinner at the three sisters was rather nice as well, not too varied a choice but what's there is good and they have some of the best chips and BBQ sauce I've ever tasted.

They were even very reasonable whenever me and my friends were late checking out and offered to put our bags to the side for us to collect later.

All in all, one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in and a good location too. I will definitely look into staying with them again if I ever spend another night in Edinburgh.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank shezo_1993
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Hi shezo_1993,

Wow, thanks for the fantastic review!

It sounds like you had a great birthday trip to Edinburgh with your friends, and it was our pleasure to be a small part of it :-)

It's great to hear such fantastic feedback about your stay, our newly refurbished rooms and our great staff - thank you for bringing the issues in your room to my attention, I will ensure that our maintenance team looks into this straight away.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon!

Rachel & The STAY Central Hotel Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Have just recently returned from a 3 night stay at Stay Central. We were a young, mid 20's couple who were looking for somewhere to escape for a few days. I found Stay Central through TripAdvisor, and seen many great reviews, and at time of booking, it was rated #10!

I'll start with the Pro's -
-It is a VERY funky hotel, with VERY funky rooms.
-Facilities were fantastic, tea and coffee was plentiful (although by our second day the jars were running low and didn't seem to be getting topped up with sugar cubes, coffee or normal or Earl Grey tea bags (all the things we drink)).
-The bathroom was designed AMAZINGLY, gorgeous tiling with gorgeous Porcelnosa toilet, sink and shower. Rain shower was AMAZING aswell, could have stood in it all day!
-HUGE TV with a good choice of Sky TV channels to watch!
-Tunnocks tea cake every day!
-Lovely complimentary toiletries.
-We got a lovely card and small box of chocolates from the hotel as it was out anniversary, very thoughtful!

Cons-
-Location! It feels a bit like a back street, and it is through a pub courtyard to get to the hotel, which was a pain when returning at the end of the night and the bouncers constantly IDing me, even after explaining we were only going to our hotel! I did not hear any noise from the pub, but I had requested a room at the back which the hotel thankfully acknowledged!
-Air con/ Heating! There is a Air/ heating system in the room which is controlled via a system by the door. The first night between us we barely slept as the heat was crazy! We were sure we had turned the system off, but it doesn't allow you to actually use air con, it's a system which only lets you choose temperatures between 21 and 25/26. The second night we tried again, but again, didn't work! Third night, after I was beginning to get moody because I couldn't get a decent nights sleep, we asked at reception about it and was met with a shrug of the shoulders. Someone came up to look at it, but didn't even look at it, just threw our window up and said "sorted". So I had to jam a shoe in to the window to keep it open, and in the process have now ruined a pair of All Saints trainers!!
-The noise! Now that our window was jammed open we definitely had to deal with the noise, and boy was it noisy! So you either don't sleep because you're too hot, or you don't sleep because it's too noisy!-Noise! When we were staying, there seemed to be a group of school aged children staying, who seemed to think it's appropriate to run through the landing shouting and screaming throughout the night!
-Beds! It was a "double" bed, but it was actually two singles pushed together, which resulted in a VERY uncomfortable nights sleep (when we could actually sleep!).
-Bathroom door! It's a frosted door, but it definitely doesn't provide any privacy and could be very uncomfortable for couples maybe not so open!
-iPod "docks". Very cool to have them built in to a wall (one in the bathroom too) but it's the old iPod fitting, so I asked at reception about them maybe having an AUX, was responded by a snigger and a "no".
-Hotel layout. One point we retuned to the hotel and waited ten minutes for the lift. We then asked at reception what to do, she told us to take the stairs (we didn't know where they were at this point), we had to walk up two flights of stairs, and then round a maze of doors and corridors, and then another flight of stairs. Was very confusing!
-One evening I asked for another pillow, 4 hours later it was delivered to the room!

When booking the hotel, I could have booked a big chain hotel for the same price (some even lower) for three nights, but as a Edinburgh Virgin, I had a look at trip advisor an decided to book Stay Central, but really wish I had paid for somewhere else, as I now know that these big chains were more central, and more equipped to deal with the rooms issues. I usually use chain hotels, but decided to try give a small independent hotel a chance for a change.
The "hotel" has a more of a back backers hostel feel to it.

Thank you to hotel for being so helpful when I had forgotten to pack some baseball caps after I had left them in the room after check out!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew H
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us here in Edinburgh; we really appreciate all the feedback we receive from our guests.

Firstly, please let me apologise that your experience with us didn’t meet your expectations of the hotel. We aim to provide the highest level of service to every guest staying in our unique and exciting hotel, and I am sorry that this was not what you felt you received during your recent visit.
I’d like to thank you for your fantastic comments on so many different aspects of the hotel; the facilities, in-room amenities, design features, first class bathrooms and the little touches we add to make our guests’ stays special such as the chocolates left in your room. It’s great to hear you that appreciated these during your stay, and that the staff were able to help your successfully reunite with your lost property.

As you have noted we are located in the heart of Edinburgh’s Old Town; minutes away from the Historic Grassmarket, Royal Mile and Edinburgh Castle. We are located adjacent to popular Three Sisters Bar, which is widely publicised. We have taken measures as best we can to limit external noise for guests with double glazing and sound proofed rooms. However from time to time there will be noise from the surrounding area which is outwith our control, all guests are advised of this at the time of booking and quiet rooms, like the room you were allocated, are available upon request.

Similarly, we do request that all guests respect their surroundings and keep the noise levels down in corridors, public areas and the Reception; this is highlighted on our website and in the In-Room Booklet. We do also have a group policy that all groups are required to sign on check-in which reiterates this, and had we received a complaint about anti-social behaviour from a group we would have addressed this with the Group Leader and taken steps to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, as the main entrance to STAY is shared with the bar, we do have to comply with the Scottish Licensing Regulations and in the evenings we require our Door Stewards to ID patrons who appear to be under the age of 25; I can only apologise if you feel this was inconvenient.

Thank you for bringing the issue with your air conditioning unit to my attention; I will ensure that the maintenance team look into this. Our air conditioning/heating units have a restricted temperature range which is set seasonally to coincide with the seasons, and you are able to select heat or cool and various fan settings from the panel in the room. I am disappointed that this was not made clear to you by the staff on duty, and that you were not offered to be moved to an alternative room when the room’s temperature was not to your liking. I am also very disappointed to hear that you found the bed to be uncomfortable; we use the same mattresses as The Balmoral Hotel and are complimented on the comfort of our beds and bedding frequently. Our M - Twin/Double Rooms do use Zip & Link mattresses; however we also have S Rooms available to book which contain a regular Double mattress.

The frosted bathroom door is a design feature, though I am aware it is not to every guest’s taste. In most rooms the bathroom door does not face the main area of the bedroom, allowing more privacy for the occupant. Due to the age of the building we were unable to alter the building’s layout during the refurbishment, I agree that it can be a little confusing with the 3 stairwells and this should have been explained to you more thoroughly by the Receptionist on duty – I will ensure this is reiterated to our staff at the next team briefing. I am also disappointed to hear of the service you received when requesting a cable for the iPod Dock, we do have cables behind the desk however it is possible that they were all in use by other guests at that time. I have ordered more cables this week to ensure that this does not happen again, and all guests can make use of the ceiling speakers.

Thank you again for your comments regarding your stay, I do appreciate all the feedback we receive as it allows me better insight into our guests’ experience as well as providing me with the opportunity to make necessary changes. We hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel and improve upon your experience with us in the future; it is unfortunate that we were not able to resolve more of the issues for you during your stay.

Best Wishes,

Rachel Duff
Sunny Barmouth
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Their margins must be tight but from a guests perspective that means razor sharp pricing of a boutique feel hotel on pocket money budget . Crisp spotless linen ; pillows to die for and a magazine bathroom . Spend more elsewhere and you are just wasting money .

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OxfordBlue92
Central E, Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Hi OxfordBlue92,

It’s great to hear such fantastic feedback about our hotel, and I am so pleased that you chose to write a review to share your experience with future guests!

I hope we can welcome you back again – please get in touch if you are returning to Edinburgh and we will sort you out with the best returner rate!

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Wow,my first time staying since refurbishment! Rooms are gorgeous and well stocked with tea/coffee/water,which were much needed on our visit for and over the week of St Patrick's Day! Staff were fantastic and helpful,couldn't have done enough for us,both at Stay Central and the adjoining Three Sisters Bar,which was admirable given just how busy it was for the occasion! The showers in the room were amazing,can't wait to return for those alone. Also,even in plastic glasses (due to crowd volume) the Guinness on St Patrick's Day in the bar was superb. Can't wait to return return here :-)

Room Tip: Not sure on this one,the bar onto here is busy,noise is to be expected and you're told in advanc...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank jessCork_Ireland
Central E, Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Hi jessCork_Ireland,

Thank you for leaving such a great review, it was great having you and your friends staying with us over the St Patricks Day Festival.

I will pass on your comments regarding The Three Sisters onto their management team and staff. A lot of planning goes into such events so I am sure they will appreciate such fantastic comments.

See you soon,
West Lothian Scotland
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a night for my boyfriends birthday. I'd read the previous reviews and was not disappointed. It's in a great location for the royal mile, castle, pubs and restaurants and the rooms were lovely. Simple and clean. The rainfall shower was also awesome. An added touch was the birthday card and chocs left for my boyfriend. Thank you for a great stay

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Debsybaby
Central E, Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hi Debsybaby,

Thank you so much for leaving such a fantastic review for all of our future guests to see! I am so pleased to hear that you choose to spend such a special occasion with us :-).

Our location really is an excellent choice if you want to stay in the heart of the city so it’s great to hear your comments.

Don’t be a stranger, let us know next time your returning to Edinburgh directly and we will be more than happy to help.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stay Central tries hard to be funky and a boutique hotel, which is all very well if you can find the entrance, as it is tucked away in a pub courtyard. Very friendly welcome and helpful receptionist, but up in the room is where things start to go awry. The Sky TV wouldn't work and so about to make a quick call to reception you discover there is no phone, and a card says to ring an outside number, and then you realise you can't get a signal on your mobile. WiFi reception to is woeful and impossible to use Skype, FaceTime etc. A walk down to reception and the explanation for everything is "it's an old building". Someone came to fix the Sky TV and said the remote to work it would arrive in 10 minutes - it never did. Decor was indeed funky and the tea and coffee facilities were great. The bed was hard and more painful than comfortable for an old fella like me. Bathroom and oversize shower were modern but the shower base couldn't cope and it flooded in 30 seconds. Toilet mechanism fell out the wall when flushed. The first floor is shared by a student union bar and residents can use it. Location is great though and for £60 a night it's probably worth putting up with the failings, unless you are using it for business in which case the communication problems rule it out.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Central E, General Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Good afternoon Alan M,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our STAY central. This feedback is honestly invaluable and thanks for bringing this to our attention. Not only is it good to hear what we are doing correct but it’s also good to know what we need to tweak to make sure we are providing the best service possible. I will certainly speak to our maintenance team regarding the points you raised to have these addressed. We hope to be seeing you again Alan, best wishes…

Rachel Duff – General Manager
Cumbria
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We chose the STAY on the strength of Trip Advisor reviews and we weren't disappointed at all. Once we found the hotel - our fault! - we checked in. Our room was lovely and spacious - very clean ad perfect for our 3 night stay. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. All the little touches - such as good quality toiletries and a daily Tunnocks teacake - set the hotel apart from others we have stayed at. We stayed in room 214 and despite the fact that there is a pub and a bar next door, we didn't hear a thing on any night we were there. The hotel is perfectly placed for the Royal Mile and the Grassmarket so there are plenty of places to eat and drink within close proximity. Next time we visit Edinburgh, we will make STAY our first choice.

Room Tip: Chose a room at the back of the hotel if you want a quiet night!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Central E, Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Hi Kazza9173,

Thank you so much for the lovely review - it's fantastic to hear such positive feedback about your time with us :-)

The Tunnocks Tea Cakes are also one of my favourite features in our newly refurbished rooms too!

Please let us know if you are planning on returning and we will sort you out with a great returners rate :-)

Best wishes,