Stay Central Hotel
Excellent 5/5
Fraser Suites Edinburgh(Edinburgh)
The Inn Place(Edinburgh)
  • Bar/Lounge
The Inn on the Mile(Edinburgh)
  • Pool
1,683 results
All reviewsthree sistersxl roomroyal miletunnocks tea cakesipod dockrainfall showerquiet roomlittle touchesbreakfast is servedgreat showeramazing hotelbottled waterwould definitely stay here againbathroom doorgrass marketgreat roomfringe festival
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was in Stay Central Hotel during 4 days for a business trip. Hotel is really central, just round the corner of Grassmarket, RoyalMile, trainstation and whatever you need for visiting the old city, friendly staff, room is clean and modern decoration. Wi-fi in the room and tea, coffee and marshmallows biscuits ready there.
Staff were all friendly and accommodating a part of people in charge of breaksfast! I know that 7.30 a.m. is not the greatest time to start working but it's not necessary to be grumpy if somebody ask you for the coffee and just some bread. Moreover, breaksfast is held in the pub downstairs (that is great in the night) but if the place had a little more change of air would be nicer. Lift is incredibly slow though and there is only one.
Overall though I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ladeda75
Central E, General Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Hi ladeda75,

Thank you for taking time out to review our new STAY central, It means a lot to us that you had a ‘really good experience’ and I will share your comments with the enter team at our next meeting.

It’s always good to hear honest feedback and we do take all comments on board to improve our guest’s time with us. Please do get in touch direct if you’re ever returning to Edinburgh, many thanks…

Karen & the STAY Central Team.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Hotel centrally, friendly staff, room is clean, air con works well though we don't really need it as weather was cool in the evening, shower pressure which
Is strong. Coffee machine provided in the room is Nespreso . Downside is that guests have to pass through a bar. As it is World Cup the bar in front of the hotel was filled with people ringing and looked crowded . Could bre intimidating for those who saw the crowd first time. But my wife and I felt comfortable as we knew there this great event - World Cup.

Room Tip: Near to eating place - Grass Market, 10 mins s away from hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yc1

Afternoon yc1,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our STAY Central, it’s great to hear you enjoyed the features of our new rooms during your stay. The World Cup has been a bit lively with everyone getting involved but it’s good to hear you felt comfortable.

Don’t be a stranger, if your ever coming back to Edinburgh let us know direct and we will be delighted to help.

Many thanks, Karen & the STAY Central Team.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed there this weekend, and the room (# 306) was spotless, with a few nice touches. The room was at the back of the hotel so I didn't hear any of the music which went on until about 3am apparently. Staff were all friendly and accommodating. Very central location - Grassmarket, Royal Mile, the Castle, train station all within a short 5-10 min walk. Bed was a little firm for my liking but otherwise good. Breakfast was good too and although the breakfast room is the bar from the night before it is clean and tidy. High traffic areas a little grubby but not unexpected. Lift is incredibly slow though and there is only one. Overall though I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back if you want to sleep! If you're up all night at the bar then anywhere will be fine.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Tamagotchi100

Hi Tamagotch100,

Thank you for this great top mark review! It’s fantastic to hear you enjoyed our ‘clean and crisp’ rooms and I will certainly be sure to pass your lovely comments on to our team and Chef.

These comments mean a great deal to us and if you’re ever returning to Edinburgh please let us know directly, it would be our pleasure to have you as our guest again.

Best wishes, Rachel Duff – General Manager & the STAY Team.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Stay Central's name does not lie. It truly is a short walk up to the Royal Mile (though no one ever tells you how uphill Edinburgh is!). The staff here is extremely helpful. The level of service here is above and beyond, and I couldn't have been more pleased with the attitude and enthusiasm that the Stay Central employees exuded. The rooms are clean, though there is a strange texture of grit (I am unsure how to explain it) when you slip between the sheets. It's not dirt but it must be some sort of cleaning method they use?
The staff was kind enough to upgrade my friend and I from a medium room to an extra-large room at no extra cost. So basically, we each had two beds. The whole decor of the room is modern and fresh, and the staff provides you with water in your room (a true anomaly in the hotel industry) and these awesome chocolate/marshmallow things that cannot be explained but were mind-blowing. Even when my friend and I went out for the day and left the "Do not disturb!" sign up by accident, the staff had left us a little cubby of fresh towels and water outside of our door for when we got back.
Having the Three Sisters right under your nose is convenient, too. They'll actually ice your beer for you (it's always hard to find drinks that are colder then slightly above room temperature in the UK) and the service there is excellent as well. My only advice would be to not order their nachos. Especially if you come from Texas. You'll cry.
What was especially entertaining was that the World Cup group stages were being held while we were in Europe so fans would gather in the Stay Central courtyard to watch football on the big screen so it was a tough act to fight your way through the crowd to your room. But it's fun in it's own way! Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this establishment and would love to stay again.
My last tip is to adjust the temperature of the water in the shower before you start properly washing yourself. The handle is smooth and you can't really turn it after you get your hands really wet. So to prevent yourself from suffering from an arctic dip or getting slow broiled, make sure to adjust the temperature first. Keep that in mind, plug in your iPod, and enjoy a relaxing shower after a long day in the quaint little city of Edinburgh.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jeanie_suh
Central E, Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Hi jeanie_suh,

Thanks for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review about your recent stay with us here in Edinburgh! It's fantastic to hear you rate your stay with us so highly.

Its amazing to hear such positive feedback about the staff. They all work exceptionally hard every day to try to ensure our guests have a fantastic stay with us and there is nothing more rewarding for them, when our guests take the time to recognise the work that is done. I will make sure that they all see your kind comments.

I am also so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our little touches that make us so unique such as Tunnocks Tea cakes, built in iPod docks and wonderful Rainfall showers. They are really what make STAY Central so special.

I hope we can welcome you back again – please get in touch if you are returning to Edinburgh and we will sort you out with the best returner rate!

Karen & The STAY Central Team

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed here just one night (131 GBP/night, S-room on the second floor); for the price we were expecting a reasonable hotel standard. Whilst the staff were friendly, helpful and accommodating, most other aspects of the hotel were a let down. The windows in the room looked out into the bottom of a car park, loud music started up from 5 am which the windows did little to keep out. By far the worst aspect for us was the fact that the bathroom was separated from the main room by a frosted glass door which didn't close properly and had 1 inch gaps down the sides. This means that unless you are in the room on your own there is little or no division between the toilet (which is directly in front of the door) and the main room. Even as a married couple this was far from ideal. If you are happy to be sat in bed whilst your nearest and dearest is on the loo separated by flimsy semi-transparent glass panel directly in front of you then this may not be an issue, but for us it was a real annoyance. The breakfast was also not great (and not worth the additional 5 pounds each we paid); we had a group of backpackers sat next to us doing impressions of the other guests which about sums things up. There was also a problem with our electricity not working in the room (which the staff fixed quickly). The proximity of the hotel next to a couple of decent bars/pubs is a plus in the evening though as is the convenient location.

So in summary.

Advantages:
Friendly Staff
Good central location
Next to good bar

Disadvantages:
Noisy rooms with possible view out into a car park (depending on the floor you're on).
Bathroom not really separate from main room (apart from frosted glass panel)
Sub-standard breakfast
Definitely not worth more than 100 GBP/night

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John A

Hi John A,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us in Edinburgh, we really appreciate all feedback we

Please accept my apologies that you heard music at 5am in the morning, I am unsure where this has travelled from as there should be no music played at this time as the bar is closed. Thank you for letting me aware of this and I will be sure to keep an eye on it to ensure that these rooms are not disturbed in the future.

Keep in contact if you are ever returning to Edinburgh as we offer a fantastic returners rate for direct bookings,

Karen & The STAY Central Team